Cool air race

Old November 30th 04, 07:06 PM

Default Cool air race

Hey, here is a link to an air race in Reno and it is incredible.
These pilots are amazing. Plus there is an Air Race game that you
should check out, it's a kick. Let me know what you think.
http://www.redbullairrace.com
Old November 30th 04, 10:55 PM
Kirk Stant

wrote in message . com...
Hey, here is a link to an air race in Reno and it is incredible.
These pilots are amazing. Plus there is an Air Race game that you
should check out, it's a kick. Let me know what you think.
http://www.redbullairrace.com

GO AWAY, PLEASE!

Most of us here are grown-ups. We don't find the Red Bull non-race to
be "incredible". So go back to your rave and suck down a couple more
vodka and redbulls and find someone else to spam.

Kirk
Old December 3rd 04, 03:23 PM
John Shelton

Red Bull and it's agency were at one time toying with the idea of sponsoring
an air race involving sailplanes in the Sierra. The resulting program was
guaranteed 10 showings on Fox Sports and all production details were fairly
well ironed out. Like most things in that world, they found other avenues to
promote their hugely successful product. I was unable to show them the
demographics that they needed to interest them. It was not a question of
quantity but one of quality. Red Bull, it seems, has a different demographic
than Geritol. "Grown-ups" indeed.

There was also some confusion about a cross country "race" that was being
pushed to uninterested automobile agencies at the same time...to no avail.

om...

Old December 3rd 04, 04:52 PM
F.L. Whiteley

RedBull went for the HG speed gliding events. VNe at low level down a
mountain side course with pylons and altitude control gates.

Frank

"John Shelton" wrote in message
.net...
Red Bull and it's agency were at one time toying with the idea of

sponsoring
an air race involving sailplanes in the Sierra. The resulting program was
guaranteed 10 showings on Fox Sports and all production details were

fairly
well ironed out. Like most things in that world, they found other avenues

promote their hugely successful product. I was unable to show them the
demographics that they needed to interest them. It was not a question of
quantity but one of quality. Red Bull, it seems, has a different

demographic
than Geritol. "Grown-ups" indeed.

There was also some confusion about a cross country "race" that was being
pushed to uninterested automobile agencies at the same time...to no avail.

om...

Old December 3rd 04, 09:16 PM
Kirk Stant

"John Shelton" wrote in message k.net...

It was not a question of quantity but one of quality. Red Bull, it

seems, has a different demographic than Geritol. "Grown-ups" indeed.

I'd have no problem with RedBull sponsoring any sort of "event"
featuring gliders - even some sort of "extreme" racing - if it were to
give more exposure to our sport. If it brought a few kids into a
glider it might be a good thing.

OTOH, it might just expose soaring to an "extreme sport" image that
would scare away the "grown-up" with the money to participate in our
sport.

Other than glider acro and "gasp!" Vne contest finishes, I doubt if
anything being done at the gliderport is going to attract the Redbull
set... Too bad they will never experience a 35-ship pre-start gaggle
just below the MSH waiting for the gate to open!

Kirk
Old December 4th 04, 02:29 AM
John Shelton

I agree totally about bringing in kids.

It was not going to be billed as extreme but who knows what Fox would do if
they had footage of a simple landout. I thought that showing nothing more
than what we take for granted (using some damned good footage) would be
enough to thrill anyone. I knocked their socks off with stuff we have all
seen enough times to glaze over. They agreed that it looked amazing...and
were telling the truth...but in Hollywood, it's "No Sponsor? No Show."...as
it should be.

Actually, they had already shot the hang glider thing before I was having
conversations with them. I have heard people in other pursuits made fun of
the events they sponsor but FUN is how they sell their product. And you must
admit, they do a better job of making sweet water fun than we have with much
more amazing and fun material.

I was thinking of an off-shoot called America's Funniest Hat Videos using
the out-takes.

Old December 4th 04, 05:06 PM
Mark James Boyd

John,

How about spins in the Blanik? That's been an exciting moment even for
the experienced pilots I've taken.

Maybe an open air L-13 vs. PW-2 watergun fight? Jousting? Hmmm...
might void the insurance, don't ya know... :P

Parachuting off the Blanik wing? In-air transfer between aircraft?

--

Mark J. Boyd