preferred routing into Rhode Island

Old January 23rd 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Cary

Default preferred routing into Rhode Island

I have flown into Rhode Island several times, and always file direct.
However, as I begin to approach the area (about 150 mi out) ATC gives
me ammended routing. My problem is that I am unfamiliar with the
navaids/airways in that part of the country and it adds a lot of
stress to the flight trying to locate the navaids/airways and then to
put it into the G1000. I don't keep my paper scraps so that I can't
look up what ammendments I was given. My next trip there will be in
early March, and I would like to be better prepared. Does anyone know
what the preferred routing is when approaching from the west. I will
probably go into KOQU (I like the FBO there much more than KPVD).
Thanks,
Cary Mariash
Old January 23rd 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:34:27 -0800 (PST), Cary
wrote:

I have flown into Rhode Island several times, and always file direct.
However, as I begin to approach the area (about 150 mi out) ATC gives
me ammended routing. My problem is that I am unfamiliar with the
navaids/airways in that part of the country and it adds a lot of
stress to the flight trying to locate the navaids/airways and then to
put it into the G1000. I don't keep my paper scraps so that I can't
look up what ammendments I was given. My next trip there will be in
early March, and I would like to be better prepared. Does anyone know
what the preferred routing is when approaching from the west. I will
probably go into KOQU (I like the FBO there much more than KPVD).

Where from, and get checked out on the new G1000 software, it lets you
put in airways so "DNY V192 PVD" whatever gets put in as the
controller reads it to you.
Old January 23rd 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Cary

wrote:

Where from, and get checked out on the new G1000 software, it lets you
put in airways so "DNY V192 PVD" whatever gets put in as the
controller reads it to you.

I am based at KANE (in the Minneapolis area). I will either stop at
KBUF Buffalo (if the winds are favorable) or KMFD Mansfield OH. I wish
my G1000 would allow entry of the airways, but Diamond has not yet
upgraded the G1000 software for the DA42 to allow this feature (or to
allow one to put in the MDA in the timer/reference window).

Cary
N336TS (2007 DA42)
Old January 24th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:13:35 -0800 (PST), Cary
wrote:

wrote:

Where from, and get checked out on the new G1000 software, it lets you
put in airways so "DNY V192 PVD" whatever gets put in as the
controller reads it to you.

I am based at KANE (in the Minneapolis area). I will either stop at
KBUF Buffalo (if the winds are favorable) or KMFD Mansfield OH. I wish
my G1000 would allow entry of the airways, but Diamond has not yet
upgraded the G1000 software for the DA42 to allow this feature (or to
allow one to put in the MDA in the timer/reference window).

Ah, that's unfortunate. I figured they published the update for all
the airframes simultaniously.

From BUF they'll likely route you over HNK, maybe HNK.TEDDY3
From MFD I've suspect routing over ETG and HFD.

Good luck.
Old January 25th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ray Andraka

Cary wrote:

I have flown into Rhode Island several times, and always file direct.
However, as I begin to approach the area (about 150 mi out) ATC gives
me ammended routing. My problem is that I am unfamiliar with the
navaids/airways in that part of the country and it adds a lot of
stress to the flight trying to locate the navaids/airways and then to
put it into the G1000. I don't keep my paper scraps so that I can't
look up what ammendments I was given. My next trip there will be in
early March, and I would like to be better prepared. Does anyone know
what the preferred routing is when approaching from the west. I will
probably go into KOQU (I like the FBO there much more than KPVD).
Thanks,
Cary Mariash

Depends where you are coming from. If from the south and single engine,
expect V16 Kennedy (JFK) V229 Bridgeport (BDR) V475-V188 Groton (GON) at
either 5000 or 7000' From points west (i.e. Pennsylvania), expect to
get Lake Henry (LHY) V58 Hartford (HFD). From Northeast, you'll get
routed around the Boston Class B, more often than not over the water if
coming down the coast. I can't remember the intersections off hand,
WITCH maybe?. If in Vermont or NH, You'll probably get Gardner (GDM)
Putnam (PUT) Providence (PVD). Not sure if you are coming from upstate
NY, as it has been a while, but I think the routing was via Pawling and
Hartford. Most of my flights are either up the coast of Maine, down to
the DC area or out over Pennsylvania.

I am based at KPVD and live just north of KOQU about a 1/4 mile in from
the water.
Old January 25th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Everett M. Greene[_2_]

Ray Andraka writes:
Cary wrote:

[...]

It's amazing how everyone has treated "Rhode Island" as a point
destination. After all, you can go as much as 30 miles without
wandering into Conn, Mass, or the ocean.
Old January 31st 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Jan 23, 1:34*pm, Cary wrote:
I have flown into Rhode Island several times, and always file direct.
However, as I begin to approach the area (about 150 mi out) ATC gives
me ammended routing. My problem is that I am unfamiliar with the
navaids/airways in that part of the country and it adds a lot of
stress to the flight trying to locate the navaids/airways and then to
put it into the G1000. I don't keep my paper scraps so that I can't
look up what ammendments I was given. My next trip there will be in
early March, and I would like to be better prepared. Does anyone know
what the preferred routing is when approaching from the west. I will
probably go into KOQU (I like the FBO there much more than KPVD).
Thanks,
Cary Mariash

Not knowing the airways and navaids sounds a lot like inadequate
preflight preparation. Take out an enroute chart and study it. Also
look up the preferred IFR routes.