Southern Hemisphere hotting up

Old November 26th 04, 06:04 AM
Clint

Default Southern Hemisphere hotting up

The gliding venues in the Southern Hemisphere are moving into top gear
as the weather improves. Long flights are being made from venues like
Pokweni and Bitterwasser in Namibia, Gariep in South Africa, Tocumwal
and Corowa in Australia, Brazil and Argentina. Europeans who either
hire gliders locally or ship their gliders out for the flying season
make the bulk of these flights. The local pilots are also stretching
their legs not to be shown up by the visitors from the north.

It is a form of tourism that is becoming more professionally run. The
flying operators will arrange everything from glider shipping, licence
conversions, accommodation and transport. They even go so far as to
arrange local tours to game reserves etc for family members whilst the
pilots enjoy the flying. Some operators hire youths for the flying
season to help on the airfield and crew on the often-long retrieves.

Most of the operators have web pages where their services and contact
details can be found. So instead of watching the snow fall - make like
the birds and head south.

The weather forecast for Gariep today indicates thermals of 6m/s and
thermal tops off the chart (i.e. above 18 000 ft- probably close to 21
000 ft).

Clinton Birch
LAK 12
Old November 26th 04, 02:44 PM
Stephen Thomas

I hear that there are still a few places left for entries for the 2004
South African National Gliding Championships [aka Dust Devil 04]
Just swing by http://www.sssa.org.za for more details and your entry
forms .. if you have GBPs or USDs its like for nothing!

This snippet from the Magalies Gliding Club newsletter says it all ...

STOP PRESS FROM THE CGC:
Five gliders from the Cape Gliding Club on Saturday 20th November
completed a total of over 5000km in what is the culmination of years
of research and training. The gliders launched from Worcester
airfield shortly after 10 a.m. into a light northerly breeze and
completed routes taking in Renosterhoek (northwest of Citrusdal), Du
Toit's Kloof Tunnel and the outskirts of George. All gliders
completed the return trip to Worcester safely shortly before sunset.
The longest flight, a new record for the club, was completed by Alan
O'Regan (1171km) who is flying an LS8 standard class glider - the
smallest and simplest of the five. Asked if this form of transport
would eventually replace other modes of travel, Alan replied "The
airlines are not yet quaking in their boots – but it is a
breathtakingly beautiful way to travel. And it is not hard to learn
because we have a superb instructor and support team at Worcester – I
doubt there is a better training establishment anywhere in the world."
Advocate Sven Olivier, with multiple Protea Colours behind him, also
completed his first flight over 1000km (1007km) flying a ASW27 15m
class glider. "This is something the international gliding community
will struggle to believe", said Sven. Asked if he thought the
experience could be repeated, he replied "Without a doubt. We have
witnessed a step-change in our ability to read and negotiate
microclimate around mountain ranges and we are able to fly much faster
– sometimes at the gliders top speed of 280kph".
The other flights were completed by pilots Martin Grünert, DG500
(1001km), Reinhold Lawrenz, DG500 (997km) and Peter Farrel, Ventus
(824km). Three of the five pilots extended their personal bests by
between 160km and 300km.

AND FROM THE FREE STATE:
At Bloemfontein GC on Wed. 17th November, Theo von den Nieuwenhof says
he waited 15 years to do this Triangle. He took off at 09:40 and
started at 10:04 – his first leg was to Viljoenskroon 214.7km, then
Petrusburg 258.1km, on to Delarayville 270.6km and then back to Tempe
270.7km – Total 1014.1km. He landed at 6:08pm having achieved a speed
of 126kph (8hr 04min). He is the first one of Bloem club to do it in
35 years. He is still trying to establish if any South African has
done it in the 15 m class.
He predicts that it is going to be a good Nationals!!

Old November 26th 04, 05:02 PM
Bruce

(Clint) wrote in message . com...

[...]

Hi Clinton

If you look at todays spot map it is showing 8m/s in the central interior along
the trough line. Time to make a couple of real flights in the Cirrus - shes
done 750 before a couple of times. Only part of the system that is perhaps
lacking is the current pilot. (most I was brave enough for last season was 250km)

Time to push it a little methinks.

Bruce

PS for those who don't know where to look - here is a direct link.
http://www.weathersa.co.za/glider/images/-3025.gif
Old November 27th 04, 07:52 AM
Stephen Thomas

Bruce wrote in message ...
Stephen Thomas wrote:
I hear that there are still a few places left for entries for the 2004
South African National Gliding Championships [aka Dust Devil 04]
Just swing by http://www.sssa.org.za for more details and your entry
forms .. if you have GBPs or USDs its like for nothing!

If you look at todays spot map it is showing 8m/s in the central interior along
the trough line. Time to make a couple of real flights in the Cirrus - shes
done 750 before a couple of times. Only part of the system that is perhaps
lacking is the current pilot. (most I was brave enough for last season was 250km)

Time to push it a little methinks.

Bruce

PS for those who don't know where to look - here is a direct link.
http://www.weathersa.co.za/glider/images/-3025.gif

..... and for those who want to learn more of the SA Trough Line see
Helmuth Fischer's article:
http://www.gariepgliding.com/through_line.htm
Old November 27th 04, 10:30 AM
Ian Forbes

Clint wrote:

The gliding venues in the Southern Hemisphere are moving into top gear
as the weather improves. Long flights are being made from venues like
Pokweni and Bitterwasser in Namibia, Gariep in South Africa, Tocumwal
and Corowa in Australia, Brazil and Argentina.

You missed out Worcester near Cape Town.

Currently Cape Glideing Club is leading OLC 2005 by a comfortable margin
(http://www2.onlinecontest.org/olcphp...olc-kaf&spr=en)

Last Saturday four club members logged 1000km tasks and another four
over 500km. The forcast for today and tomorrow is more optimistic than
that day. Probably too good to be true. I can't make it to the airfield
today, but I will be there tomorrow!

This is different flying, a few wingspans from the ridge and 150 km/hr
(or more) on the ASI. Turning is often not an option as the lift is to
narrow. Good local knowledge and "character" are essential to achieve
the big numbers. Keen pilots fly lower on the ridge (2000' to 3000'
above the valley) where the lift is stronger.

Regards

Ian

Old November 30th 04, 01:05 AM
Doug Haluza

Ian Forbes wrote in message ...
Clint wrote:

[...]

We're not done here in the Northern Hemisphere yet. We have had two
1000km days on the Appalachian Ridges of the Eastern US this month.
One pilot flew an 1100km triangle with no 360 degree turns! Both days
were warm enough that no anti-freeze was needed for the water ballast.
One day was mostly wave, with altitudes above 10,000' MSL. The other
day was mostly ridge, with altitudes often below 100' AGL.

We still have over 9 hours of daylight, more than enough for 1000km.
We can fly X/C from Sunrise until Sunset from a 1000' tow. To go fast,
we can fly with one wingtip just above the ridge top, 800' above the
valley, at 200kph, turbulence permitting. Going below the ride top is
not an option, as that can very quickly lead to an outlanding. Good
local knowledge is essential.

A motor glider does not provide much advantage, since we often fly too
low to attempt an engine start. The task area is mostly rural
aggricultural (you don't have to walk far to find a farm house after a
landout). Despite what you may have heard about the deep political
divisions in the US, we are still a civil society, so confrontations
with the locals are not a worry either. Therefore, we can still fly
long X/C in pure gliders, which seems to be less and less common
lately.

To have a look at these flights follow the link below:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olcphp/...in_verein=1580
Old December 4th 04, 02:02 PM
tango4

I'm sitting in the UK watching the start of day 3 of the Nedbank Challenge
at Sun City. ( Sky Sports ) The damned cameras keep pulling back for long
shots of the holes. All I can see is cloud streets! Looks like it's going to
be another great day at my old club at Magalies!

Have fun guys. I envy you!

Ian