A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Encourage Youth to Register for the SSA's US Junior Contest/Camp

Old April 16th 17, 09:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Encourage Youth to Register for the SSA's US Junior Contest/Camp

The SSA's Youth/Junior Committee and Harris Hill Soaring Corp. are sponsoring and hosting the 2017 US Junior Camp/Contest. If your club has any youth pilot(s), ages 16-25, who are at least close to sitting for their PPG and/or have begun working towards their Silver Badge, please encourage them to register for the Junior Contest/Camp, to be held July 1-8, at Harris Hill in Elmira, NY.

For more info, see: http://juniors.ssa.org/2017/03/10/20...-announcement/

To register, go to: http://www.ssa.org/Contests?cid=2374

Please note Junior registrants may either participate in the camp/contest as PIC flying their own single-seat glider or they may fly with an experienced mentor who coaches them on cross-country soaring technique and contest strategy. Thus...

Single seat is intended for pilots who have some XC experience (either a silver badge or OLC 50km flight) and are interested in flying in an SSA sanctioned regional contest. The single seat classes is ranked and provides a score that can be used to enter national soaring events and for US Team consideration.

Two seat class is intended for juniors new to soaring, student pilots, licensed pilots, CFI-Gs, etc. who do not have sufficient cross country soaring experience, confidence, or the ability to borrow a glider for the single-seat class. In two seat class, you will fly with an experienced mentor pilot who will coach you as you fly a cross country task.

Folks, in 2005 I participated in a similar camp at Harris Hill. This is a once-in-a-lifetime, life changing opportunity to say the least. I cannot express how grateful I am to those at Harris Hill who coached me, and exposed me to joys of sailplane racing.

The entry fees are nominal and no Junior should pass up an opportunity to learn from the likes of US Team Members, living legends, and some of the very best pilots to have ever participated in the sport. Again, please encourage your Juniors (youth) to register for the camp ASAP. Not only will your club benefit from their participation but so will the sport.

Best regards,

Chris Schrader, SSA Director Region 6