Any cheap *******s here?

Old August 12th 03, 05:59 PM
Paul Tomblin

Default Any cheap *******s here?

Is the Palm i705 supported by CBAV? I see buy.com has it for $139.99 with
a $100 mail in rebate if you activate Palm.Net.
http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/...318090&loc=228

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
C isn't that hard: void (*(*f[])())() defines f as an array of
Old August 12th 03, 09:51 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

You bet there are and I would be right behind you if I hadn't already bought
my Dell handheld...... While we're on the subject of being a cheap *******,
did ya know that you can 'stretch' out the amount of powdered cheese sauce
in Kraft Mac & Cheese by using 3/4 of the amount... then by every fourth box
you will have an 'extra' envelope of cheese sauce that you can use on the
large packaged bags of macaroni noodles only..... comes in handy when
trying to fit in those extra flying days into the budget ..... wink
GRIN

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com

Old August 13th 03, 02:08 AM
Les Gawlik

Yes. I bought an i705 and got the Palm.Net service. I have not filled out
the form yet. CBAV works well for my application, and I can't say enough
nice things about the Palm, CBAV, CoPilot and the logbook application I use.
I wish I can gotten this stuff years ago. It is absolutely terrific.

Oh, and I do use it for business as well (which was my original excuse, er
reason, yeah reason, to get it).

Les

Old August 13th 03, 03:45 AM
Teacherjh

I bought an i705 and got the Palm.Net service.

Little known, but of interest - when activating the service on the i705, the
$10/mo option is not presented. However, it is in fact available. You need to
call them.

But be warned. Palm (claims that) they are a hardnose about overage on that
plan with the i705, partly because it can be set to remain connected to the
internet. This is fine on an unlimited plan (good for chatting) but really
chews through your bytes if you are on a limited plan (like the $10 one). So,
you take on an added risk with the $10 plan on the i705.

On the Palm VIIx however they are kinder if you are over bytes. The Palm VIIx
automatically disconnects after (I think) two minutes or so, so it's harder to
really screw up.

Jose

Old August 13th 03, 04:44 PM
Javier Henderson

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

Is the Palm i705 supported by CBAV? I see buy.com has it for $139.99 with
a $100 mail in rebate if you activate Palm.Net.
http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/...318090&loc=228

Yes, I run the i705, works great.

BTW, I recently upgraded the hardware that runs the image processing
software. You may not notice much of an improvement on data freshness,
but at least the images will processed faster.

-jav
Old August 14th 03, 03:50 AM
Rod Madsen

Since Palm no longer makes the i705, or any other device that uses PalmNet,
how long do you think they will keep PalmNet going? A long time, I hope.

Rod

Old August 14th 03, 04:49 AM
Steve S

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
[...]

According to the rebate form the $10.00 plan doesn't qualify for the rebate.
Only the $34.99 annual plan does.

1. Buy a new Palm i705 handheld between 5/19/03 - 8/31/03.

2. Activate your new Palm i705 handheld between 5/19/03 -

9/15/03 by opening a new Palm.Net account. You must activate on

the Mobile Annual Plan ($34.99/month) in order to be eligible for

the rebate. Activation assistance is available by calling 888-756-

7256.

3. You agree to maintain a Palm.Net service account for 12

consecutive months at the qualifying service level, Mobile Annual

Plan ($34.99/month), for the Palm i705 handheld purchased.

4. You must satisfy normal activation requirements, including

credit approval, payment of a $9.99 activation fee and payment of

your first Palm.Net monthly service fee.

Old August 14th 03, 02:52 PM
Javier Henderson

"Rod Madsen" writes:

Since Palm no longer makes the i705, or any other device that uses PalmNet,
how long do you think they will keep PalmNet going? A long time, I hope.

How come the i705 is listed as a current model on Palm's website then?

And at $159, with a $100 rebate (which brings the price to $59) if you
keep the service for a year, it seems to be a good deal.

-jav
Old August 14th 03, 06:14 PM
Peter R.

Rod Madsen ) wrote:

Since Palm no longer makes the i705, or any other device that uses PalmNet,
how long do you think they will keep PalmNet going? A long time, I hope.

Apparently Palm still does manufacture that model, but all of the new Palms
(Tungsten series) are using a completely different wireless technology.

Thus, IMO your question is a valid one.

--
Peter