GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

Old November 11th 19, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

And we dont have two place motor gliders at every club but EVERY club over here does have members who also own a light GA aircraft.
Old November 11th 19, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You guys are both right and we dont need no stinking Europian ideas, but we will still accept their sailplanes and sailplane engineering lol.
Old November 11th 19, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

"North Americans have to do everything the hard way........."

Really? I'm not sure what part of Europe or South America you might be from, but this type of comment is so simplistic it becomes irrelevant and laughable.

In the U.S.A. flying gliders or powered aircraft is open to a broader population than other countries where recreational flying is typically only obtainable by the wealthy.

Being able to enjoy the wonders of flight, without having to be wealthy as in other countries, is a fantastic opportunity in the U.S.A. not available in many other parts of the world. I appreciate that aspect of american life.

That does mean however that those of us who fly on a budget may not be in a club that owns an expensive motor glider. We have a mixture of clubs in the U.S., some with more resources than others.

The previous post that suggested taking a powered flight and training in off airport landings makes the most sense in the U.S. market in my opinion.

Even if you are not a power pilot, spending a few hours with a power instructor just practicing off airport landing procedures will benefit glider pilots.

That training is all about the fundamentals of off airport landings (land outs). Determining wind direction, picking a suitable field, slope, setting up a pattern, etc. Then actually simulating an approach to land.

$.02 paid in full. YMMV.
Old November 11th 19, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, I don't think it has anything to do with North American
independent thinking.Â* More likely, it's that clubs in the US, at least
the ones I've been familiar with, are very poor financially as compared
to what I see on line about European clubs.Â* And motor gliders are
expensive.Â* As a board member of a club 20+ years ago, it was very
difficult to get membership approval of even the most useful expenditures.

On 11/11/2019 1:18 AM, Paul T wrote:
FFS most of the rest of the world uses a tried and tested way of
training for off airport landings - the use of a motorglider -why do you
North Americans have to do everything the hard way.........

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 11th 19, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just as I can't understand how the European clubs have such nice glider fleets, I suspect many Europeans don't understand how many general aviation airplanes litter America.
Old November 11th 19, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gregg its one of the benefits of a free and capitalist based society. I make a nice side living collecting these neglected ships and restoring them. Sure don’t have that opportunity anywhere else.
Old November 12th 19, 09:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter F[_2_]

OK, I know I shouldn't but I'll bite anyway..

What freedom do you think you have in the US that we in Western Europe
don't?

At 23:30 11 November 2019, wrote:
Gregg its one of the benefits of a free and capitalist based society. I
mak=
e a nice side living collecting these neglected ships and restoring them.
S=
ure don=E2=80=99t have that opportunity anywhere else.

Old November 12th 19, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 4:15:05 AM UTC-5, Peter F wrote:
OK, I know I shouldn't but I'll bite anyway..

What freedom do you think you have in the US that we in Western Europe
don't?

Guns, speech, moreso than Europe, though they are coming hard for both here. More airspace freedom. Probably more land use freedom in general, big country lots of variable rules. We're still freer than Western Europe but we are catching up quick.