Article in flying Mag

Old July 23rd 03, 04:12 AM
Newps

Yep, another friend did that in his Cub after taxiing into a taxiway
light. Just goosed it and flew 10 miles home. Said it ran a little rough.

Dylan Smith wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:33:04 -0700, Jeff wrote:

...your serious..a guy sawed off the tips of his prop and then flew the plane
again?

Don't worry, we had this happen with a club Beech Sierra. The guy didn't
even bother doing that - he just flew home with curled prop tips!

Old July 23rd 03, 04:17 AM
Newps

Yeah, it may be a western thing, but I doubt it. These people are
everwywhere. When I went to Johnson Creek a couple years ago there was
a 182 that was parked waiting for a new engine. After startup something
broke. All the oil leaked out on the ground where he was parked, he saw
this later. He took off with no oil. After getting about 200 feet in
the air he notices no oil pressure so returns and lands. After landing
and parking the prop spins down like a turbo prop. Takes forever to
stop. Finds out the crankshaft had snapped in two. If you've ever been
to Johnson Creek you know what a bad deal this could have been.

John Galban wrote:

Newps wrote in message news:vaWSa.115114$H17.35404@sccrnsc02...

Last month a buddy taxiied his J-5 into a hole, a seriously big hole.
One prop tip was bent about 30 degrees back from straight, the other
just had the paint scraped. So we found a wheel chock and a mallet.
With a couple guys holding onto the prop, another holding the chock
against the back of the prop the other guy whacked on the prop until it
was more or less straight. Then he flew home. I wouldn't call this
uncommon.

That must be a Montana thing. I met a guy at the Spotted Bear
backcountry strip who was lucky enough to have had just enough
altitude to glide there. His crank had snapped over the adjacent
Wilderness Area. Turns out he'd taxied into a snowbank a few months
prior. When I talked to him, he still hadn't made the connection
between his prop strike and the broken crank on his Champ.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old July 23rd 03, 05:44 AM
Jeff

from what I understand about propellers, they are what makes the plane go,
they turn at a very high RPM and are suppose to be balanced. during
preflight you check for cracks, dings and any other problems that may
cause a problem. I would consider a bent (more or less) prop a problem.

The thing with aviation is we are suppose to be responsible people, we
learn what to do and not to do, we are suppose to check ourselves. you can
get away with alot if thats what your wanting to do. But where it catches
up with you is when you least expect it.

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Newps,

So we found a wheel chock and a mallet.

Well, I would walk away rather than being part in something like that.
I sure think aviation is over-regulated, but that'S a major Forrest
Gump moment: Stupid is as stupid does.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 23rd 03, 05:48 AM
Jeff

Yes I know they are everywhere, I read the NTSB reports alot. I like the one recently where
the guy had an engine failure, he landed just fine in a farmers field, after landing, he
restarted the plane, took off, at around 200 ft, plane lost power, rolled, crashed, he died

Old July 23rd 03, 06:55 AM
Ron Garrison

It's not just the bent prop I would be worried about. It takes a serious
jolt to bend a big piece of aluminum like that, and engines don't like that
kind of (mis)treatment. Is anyone aware of ANY aircraft engines that don't
require a serious inspection after a prop strike?

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
from what I understand about propellers, they are what makes the plane go,
they turn at a very high RPM and are suppose to be balanced. during
preflight you check for cracks, dings and any other problems that may
cause a problem. I would consider a bent (more or less) prop a problem.

The thing with aviation is we are suppose to be responsible people, we
learn what to do and not to do, we are suppose to check ourselves. you can
get away with alot if thats what your wanting to do. But where it catches
up with you is when you least expect it.

Newps,

Old July 23rd 03, 08:04 AM
Thomas Borchert

Newps,

Yep, another friend

You gotta get thinking about what kind of friends you have... ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 23rd 03, 05:16 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ron Garrison" wrote in message news
It's not just the bent prop I would be worried about. It takes a serious
jolt to bend a big piece of aluminum like that, and engines don't like that
kind of (mis)treatment. Is anyone aware of ANY aircraft engines that don't
require a serious inspection after a prop strike?

Both Continental and Lycoming require an engine teardown for any propstrike
no matter how minor. My insurance company didn't even bat an eye when I
told them I wanted one.

Old July 24th 03, 03:06 AM
John Galban

Newps wrote in message .net...
After getting about 200 feet in
the air he notices no oil pressure so returns and lands. After landing
and parking the prop spins down like a turbo prop. Takes forever to
stop. Finds out the crankshaft had snapped in two. If you've ever been
to Johnson Creek you know what a bad deal this could have been.

I spend a lot of time at Johnson Creek (as a matter of fact I'll be
there in about a week), and I'd have to say I'm very impressed.
Getting a 182 back onto the runway from 200 ft. is something I'd
expect from Bob Hoover. The trees at the end of the runway are damn
near 100 ft. tall.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 25th 03, 01:26 AM
Ray Andraka

Several times for me.

Brian Sponcil wrote:

I suppose that in some strange way it should fill us with confidence to
know that an airplane, even one so badly corroded it has holes, won't
likely break up in flight.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many people have aborted due to the
preflight inspection (not including run-up)? For myself, I can think of
at least two times that I cancelled because of what I found under the cowl.

-Brian
Warrior 33431
Iowa City, IA

Dan Luke wrote:

"Dylan Smith" wrote:

There was a Beech Duke at Houston Gulf. I swear that the guy who flew
it (about once every four months) wouldn't have noticed if the right
wing was missing beyond the engine nascelle (until he tried to rotate
of course). The plane had a LOT of defects which were readily apparent
to the most cursory inspection, including some very bad corrosion
on the vertical stab.

There's a Cardinal at one of our local fields with corrosion so bad there
are actually holes in it. I hear its tail number on CTAF once in a while.

This kind of thing is not too uncommon, apparently. It's a wonder these
aircraft don't show up in the accident reports more often.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old July 25th 03, 02:02 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Lessee, I have pulled a 10 inch crescent wrench out from on top of a
cylinder on one plane.... Found the rudder linkage completely disconnected
at the tail of another (that one aborted the flight!)... Found the fuel
tanks essentially dry on one when the gauges showed half full (had a little
heart to heart with the fbo on that one)... Had a couple of instances of
fouled plugs on the runup that caused me to change planes rather than wait
on the mechanic...
Ya gotta be alert because they ARE trying to get you...