Sold out by IFR

Old February 1st 04, 08:54 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jeff" wrote in message
Well the elections are comming up, if you think things are getting bad

now,
wait untill GW gets re-elected (if he does), then he has no reason to not

hold
back since he would be on his last term.

And how is this different from the elections over the past 100-150 years?

This didn't just materialize in the past few years, or even the past
generation or so.

Old February 1st 04, 08:56 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Newps" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:
Ameritrade is the same way.
after using them, we got hundredss of spam (and still do) from stock

places.

Really? I've had Ameritrade for myself since about 1996 and for my kids
college trusts since 1997. Never got any spam from financial
institutions of any kind.

They checked your bank balance after paying all the stuff for your airplane
and got spooked by the $3.82 bank balance. :~)

Old February 1st 04, 08:58 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
. net...
I just subscribed to the magazine after hearing raves about it. I am not
impressed with it.

- they declined to send me a prior month after I had ordered.
- their 2004 yearly compilation seems to suggest that people do some

illegal
or questionable approached by not using procedure turns
- the quiz in the latest magazine had the localizer backcourse shaded
incorrectly
- not much of the content is what I expected given all the raves about the
magazine.

What is it about the magazine that people seem to find so wonderful?

Well, it ain't the centerfold, or the swimsuit edition.

Old February 1st 04, 09:43 PM
Jay Honeck

May I suggest that you let them know why you won't buy their
products again, if you haven't already?

Better leave out the part about the 4-year old subscribing, however...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 1st 04, 09:58 PM
JFee

I was upset about the same thing. Last year I joined for $24 and this year
they sent me renewal notice for $40!

So I crossed off the $40 on the renewal notice, wrote in $24 with a short
note that if they charged me the same rate I subscribed at, I would renew.

Sure enough, they sent me a bill for only $24, and I kept receiving the
magazine (though i hesitate to call it that.. more of a newsletter, I think)

-Jonathan

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...
I used to subscribe to IFR until I realized that they offered a much

better
rate to new subscribers than to existing ones. After realizing this, my
four year old decided to subscribe :-). Today he recieved a solicitation
from another aviation magazine. Obviously they sold his (and my) name and
address. I always check the little box indicating that I don't want my
information shared and I don't want to recieve any offers. I will never
subscribe to any Belvoire publication again.

Just had to vent after calling a credit card company and telling them not

send me any more ot their stupid balance tranfer checks. It was the third
time I called them. I am in the national opt out list for all

pre-approved
credit and I still get at least two "offers" a day. I guess that Congress
is so busy spending our hard earned money developing rainforests in Iowa

and
subsidized rail to Disneyland that they don't have time for legislation

that
ordinary people really care about.

Mike
MU-2

Old February 1st 04, 10:28 PM
Haywood Jablome

"JFee" wrote in message
I was upset about the same thing. Last year I joined for $24 and this

year
they sent me renewal notice for $40!

So I crossed off the $40 on the renewal notice, wrote in $24 with a short
note that if they charged me the same rate I subscribed at, I would

renew.

Sure enough, they sent me a bill for only $24, and I kept receiving the
magazine (though i hesitate to call it that.. more of a newsletter, I

think)

The difference between me and you is that I could not be bothered to play
that game. So I let my subscription slide years ago. So now they get nothing
and I am spared of the bull****.

Old February 2nd 04, 01:33 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Haywood Jablome" wrote in message

"JFee" wrote in message
I was upset about the same thing. Last year I joined for $24 and this

year
they sent me renewal notice for $40!

So I crossed off the $40 on the renewal notice, wrote in $24 with a

short
note that if they charged me the same rate I subscribed at, I would

renew.

Sure enough, they sent me a bill for only $24, and I kept receiving the
magazine (though i hesitate to call it that.. more of a newsletter, I

think)

The difference between me and you is that I could not be bothered to play
that game. So I let my subscription slide years ago. So now they get

nothing
and I am spared of the bull****.

In the "old days", companies used to "nickel and dime", you to death. Today,
it's $50 and $100 you to death.

Not a month goes by I don't find someone trying to slip and extra $10, $20,
$50...past us on a billing statement. Of course, the "error" is never in MY
favor. :~(

Old February 2nd 04, 01:36 AM
Mike Rapoport

I'm not sure exactly what gainI'll be missing. Every spring there are
articles in every aviation mag about flying when there is convective
weather. After flying a few years and being exposed to 100 such articles
admonishing us not to fly into a thunderstorm, what is gained be reading one
more? Anyway, it is my six year old who isn't going to subscribe

Mike
MU-2
..
"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
That's known as cutting off your nose to spite your face. The value of

what
you will miss far exceeds any perceived gain.

Bob Gardner

Old February 2nd 04, 01:37 AM
Abafon Goula

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 16:32:36 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

I used to subscribe to IFR until I realized that they offered a much better
rate to new subscribers than to existing ones. After realizing this, my
four year old decided to subscribe :-). Today he recieved a solicitation
from another aviation magazine. Obviously they sold his (and my) name and
address. I always check the little box indicating that I don't want my
information shared and I don't want to recieve any offers. I will never
subscribe to any Belvoire publication again.

Good for you.

Just had to vent after calling a credit card company and telling them not to
send me any more ot their stupid balance tranfer checks. It was the third
time I called them. I am in the national opt out list for all pre-approved
credit and I still get at least two "offers" a day. I guess that Congress
is so busy spending our hard earned money developing rainforests in Iowa and
subsidized rail to Disneyland that they don't have time for legislation that
ordinary people really care about.

There's a hint in your paragraph that I may be taking a little
personal, but maybe you should think of those companies that are
sending you their offerings and how much money they make and what
politicians their tied to.

Mike
MU-2

Old February 2nd 04, 01:39 AM
Abafon Goula

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:12:54 -0800, Jeff wrote:

Well the elections are comming up, if you think things are getting bad now,
wait untill GW gets re-elected (if he does), then he has no reason to not hold
back since he would be on his last term.

Let's kick his dumb ass out! Might be nice to have a president that
has at least half a brain and not a puppet.