How to get IFR Clearance enroute?

Old May 20th 04, 08:27 PM
Dave Butler

John Clonts wrote:

Side question, I have tried filing via Duats a flight plan beginning
at a navaid, and it won't let me because it tries to convert it to an
airport (e.g. XYZ Vor yields "Airport KXYZ does not exist"). Do you
know of some way around this?

Maybe it's the web front-end or whatever you are using to access DUAT. I just
tried using the telnet connection (telnet direct.duats.com) and successfully
entered a flight plan starting from HNN, which is a navaid, but there is no
airport with that identifier. Don't try to make sense of the routing, time,
etc., I just made up stuff to fill in all the fields:

1 Type of flight plan: IFR
2 Aircraft tail number: N1701D
3 Acft type/special equip: M20P/A
4 True airspeed: 150
5 Departure point: HNN
6 Departure time: (UTC) Thu May 20 20:00
7 Altitude: 60
8 Route of flight: RDU
9 Destination: RDU
10 Estimated time enroute: 0300
11 Remarks:
12 Fuel on board: 0500
13 Alternate destination(s):
14 Pilot's name: DAVID G BUTLER
Address: snip
Phone no.: snip
Aircraft home base: RDU
15 Number aboard: 1
16 Color of aircraft: TAN/BROWN
17 Dest contact name:
Phone no.:

Of course, I quit before actually -filing- the bogus plan.

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.
Dave

Old May 20th 04, 09:13 PM

Stimbo wrote:

I like the COMPOSITE flight plan idea. I had sorta forgotten about

it. I need to read more about it. Is this easy to
implement/activate?

Piece of cake.

Old May 20th 04, 10:12 PM
Maule Driver

John Clonts wrote:

Side question, I have tried filing via Duats a flight plan beginning
at a navaid, and it won't let me because it tries to convert it to an
airport (e.g. XYZ Vor yields "Airport KXYZ does not exist"). Do you
know of some way around this?

Why would you do this? If you are on the ground, you'd file a composite
plan. If you are in the air, you presumably would use a radio to file.

Is it a bogus plan?

Old May 20th 04, 11:24 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(John Clonts) wrote:
Side question, I have tried filing via Duats a flight plan beginning
at a navaid, and it won't let me because it tries to convert it to an
airport (e.g. XYZ Vor yields "Airport KXYZ does not exist"). Do you
know of some way around this?

I've never had any problem. I just filed one from Carmel VOR to Sparta
VOR and it worked fine. The DUATS system came up with the remark on
it's own when I entered the route, saying, "Inserting lat/long
(4104/07432) for SAX to ensure ARTCC flight plan acceptance"

1 Type of flight plan: IFR
2 Aircraft tail number: N25629
3 Acft type/special equip: P28A/U
4 True airspeed: 130
5 Departure point: CMK
6 Departure time: (UTC) Thu May 20 23:30
7 Altitude: 60
8 Route of flight: 4104/07432
9 Destination: SAX
10 Estimated time enroute: 0200
11 Remarks: ..4104/07432.. IS SAX
12 Fuel on board: 0001
13 Alternate destination(s):
14 Pilot's name: ROY H SMITH
Address: 185 BEACH ST CITY ISLAND NY 10464
Phone no.: 718 885 3246
Aircraft home base: HPN
15 Number aboard: 1
16 Color of aircraft: WHITE/BLUE
17 Dest contact name:
Phone no.:

Adverse weather may exist for your briefing area.
Do you request these additional weather types? (Y/N) [N]

Enter field number(s) to correct, 'F' to file,'S' to save,
'FS' to file and save, 'R' for route wx briefing, or 'Q' to quit: f

Flight plan accepted by DynCorp IS DUAT service and will be filed
with ZBW on Thu May 20 22:21 (UTC).
Old May 21st 04, 12:04 AM
John Clonts

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
John Clonts wrote:

Side question, I have tried filing via Duats a flight plan beginning
at a navaid, and it won't let me because it tries to convert it to an
airport (e.g. XYZ Vor yields "Airport KXYZ does not exist"). Do you
know of some way around this?

Maybe it's the web front-end or whatever you are using to access DUAT. I

just
tried using the telnet connection (telnet direct.duats.com) and

successfully
entered a flight plan starting from HNN, which is a navaid, but there is

no
airport with that identifier. Don't try to make sense of the routing,

time,
etc., I just made up stuff to fill in all the fields:

[Snip]

I think you're right. In fact the www.duats.com front end will accept the
flight plan FILING with navaid endpoints. It's just the "Flight Planner"
portion that requires airport endpoints. Which makes some sense.

Thanks,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old May 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Hankal

The first step is to use flight following, which puts you in contact with
ATC right off the bat.

not always possible if ATC is busy with IFR traffic, or the approach/ departure
person is not in the mood. Here in the East we get unable many times.
Old May 21st 04, 12:12 AM
John Clonts

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
. com...
John Clonts wrote:

Side question, I have tried filing via Duats a flight plan beginning
at a navaid, and it won't let me because it tries to convert it to an
airport (e.g. XYZ Vor yields "Airport KXYZ does not exist"). Do you
know of some way around this?

Why would you do this? If you are on the ground, you'd file a composite
plan. If you are in the air, you presumably would use a radio to file.

The reason I would want to do this is for the same reason you would want a
composite plan, except that I don't want the interaction with FSS for the
VFR portion (for whatever reason).

But anyway, how exactly do you file a composite plan via duats? What do you
put into each field? The AIM says to check both IFR and VFR, but the duats
web front end uses a single-select box. Does telnet duats allow you to
check both? And where do you indicate which portion of the flight is which?
Freeform in the route box, or all in the remarks section? What exactly do
you put into the departure and destination boxes?

Thanks,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old May 21st 04, 12:48 AM
Snowbird

Nathan Young wrote in message . ..
When filing en route, what do you use as the departure airport?

I don't use a departure airport. I use some convenient point
I will shortly cross or pass near. It can be a VOR, an NDB,
an intersection, degree-distance from a VOR, an airport. The
requirement is 1) to have something the computer will accept
2) to have something ATC can identify

always give the actual departure airport even though I left there some
time ago.

I would strongly recommend you DON'T do this. The reason is, if you
have passed into airspace controlled by another ATC facility, they
will not have your flightplan. The ATC computer will have sent
it to the ATC facility controlling the airspace around your departure
airport and there it will sit. In order to find your flightplan, ATC
will have to figure out where your departure airport is, who controls
that airspace, call 'em up, and say "depart that guy".

All problems you can avoid by simply filing from a point near your
actual geographic location at the time you file.

Cheers,
Sydney