USA / CFIG Clinic / Seattle, February 11-12 2006 / SSA/SSF

Old January 14th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default USA / CFIG Clinic / Seattle, February 11-12 2006 / SSA/SSF

The Soaring Safety Foundation (safety affiliate of the SSA) will
conduct a Glider Flight Instructor Recertification Clinic as follows:
Location: Seattle, WA
Date: February 11-12, 2006
Registration: Mark Nyberg (425) 641-4785 or ]

Old January 15th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Soaring Safety Foundation is conducting a CFIG Revalidation Clinic
in Seattle the weekend of February 11th and 12th, 2006. It is open to
everyone - not just instructors.

This clinic consists of 16 hours of concentrated instruction. The focus
is on the material that is most important for instructors to teach.
Coincidentally, this is the material most important for glider pilots
to learn. Many non-instructors attend the course regularly to keep up
their soaring knowledge, help them be safer pilots and just enjoy the
presentations.

We have always had some of the best presenters in our sport and this
year's clinic is no exceptions. Our guest presenters a

· Rolf Hertenstein who became a glider flight instructor as a
teenager and has accumulated 5500 hours of flight time in gliders. Over
half of his total flight time has been spent instructing. Rolf earned
his diamond badge in 1979, set one national and several state records.
After a decade of earning his living as a glider pilot, Rolf returned
to school to earn a Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science and became a research
scientist specializing in atmospheric turbulence with specific emphasis
on thermal analysis, mountain wave analysis, and rotor analysis. Rolf
wrote the latest book in the Gliding Mentor series - Thermals. Rolf is
the expert on thermals and can teach what he knows.

· Dale Masters: "One day I saw a glider overhead, followed it to
its nest and told the operator I would mow grass, pump gas, wash
airplanes, do ANYTHING, if I could just fly for free. Sixteen years
later I moved to southern California for two reasons: to soar in great
conditions, and to soar all year round. After ten years here I now have
logged over 10,000 hours in sailplanes, most of it CFI time, and I am
still learning a lot about soaring." Dale has a degree in education and
is currently a professional instructor at the Great Western Soaring
School in Llano, CA. You may remember his practical thermalling advice
in the "Organic Variometer" article that appeared in the August
2004 issue of SOARING.

Alaska Airlines has graciously allowed us to use the classrooms in
their training center at 2651 South 192nd Street, Seattle, WA 98188.
This is the same great facility we used two years ago. Park in the lot
on the north side of the building only. Use the entrance up the stairs
at the north-west corner of building. Tom Cornwell will be at door to
let people in and distribute parking passes on the first day. No food
is allowed in classroom. The lunchroom has food, coffee and soda
machines as well as refrigerators. We will take short morning and
afternoon breaks and break for lunch.

Cost is $150 per person. Space is limited and we can't guarantee any
spots will be open the day of the clinic. Reservations are required by
February 3, 2006. Make checks payable to the SGC Soaring Foundation
and mail to:
Mark Nyberg
159 160th Ave SE
Bellevue, WA 98009.

Bob Wander is our instructor. Those of you who have attended Bob's
clinics in the past know that he's very informative and extremely
entertaining. This clinic is the best deal in soaring. Please put it
on your agenda.

Further details will be posted at www.evergreensoaring.com as they
become available.

Contact Mark Nyberg (425/644-5678) with any questions.

Old January 15th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Zip Code correction:

Make checks payable to the SGC Soaring Foundation and mail to:
Mark Nyberg
159 160th Ave SE
Bellevue, WA 98008.