EU insurance obligations on gliders

Old January 13th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default EU insurance obligations on gliders

I hope here are some glider pilots from EU.

I'm interested in getting some knowledge about how different countries in EU
have applied following regulation to gliders and how have glider clubs have
solved that.

Regulation:
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/...en00010006.pdf

I'm also interested in getting some hints about the tarifs if anyone
actually buys this third-party insurance for gliders. Insuring a single
place glider against hijacking seems at least a bit funny to me. Thus far
no-one has been able to explain me how to hijack Jantar Std or LS-4.

Regards,
Kaido
www.purilend.ee

Old January 13th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

iPilot wrote:

I hope here are some glider pilots from EU.

I'm interested in getting some knowledge about how different countries in EU
have applied following regulation to gliders and how have glider clubs have
solved that.

Regulation:
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/...en00010006.pdf

I'm also interested in getting some hints about the tarifs if anyone
actually buys this third-party insurance for gliders. Insuring a single
place glider against hijacking seems at least a bit funny to me. Thus far
no-one has been able to explain me how to hijack Jantar Std or LS-4.

Our Jantar pilot is flying in wonderful conditions, enjoying the flight,
when his happiness is shattered by a call on the radio:

Hijacker: "Mr. Pilot, we are holding your wife hostage until you fly the
glider to the airport in Raininghardistan"
Pilot: "I don't believe you - put my wife on the radio!"
Wife: "I don't believe them either. I think this is just a clever ploy
by you to get me to retrieve you from some god-forsaken hellhole of an
airport in a tiny country I never heard of!"
Pilot: "No my dear! They are really hijackers! I am on my way to
Raininghardistan!"

An hour later...

Hijacker: "Mr. Pilot, you can turn around if you wish. Your wife has
decided to join our cause, as it is more interesting than being a glider
pilot's wife. Indeed, we are two wild and crazy guys, and we think she
is one hot babe, too!"
Pilot: "Oh my dear wife, please be sure to lock the trailer and put the
car keys under the floor mat before you leave, in case I don't make it
back and someone has to retrieve me!"

An hour later...

Wife: "Don't worry, Pilot dear, I have dispatched the hijackers with my
#14 knitting needle and the sewing scissors. All they wanted to do was
hang around airports anyway, so not really an improvement."
Pilot: "Bummer, my sweetkins." (to himself: "Perhaps I should take her
out to dinner tonight, as she may be too upset to cook").

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old January 14th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The only question remaining - who was the third party in that case?

wife - can't be because by definition, she's always the first one
hijackers - they're second to none usually. Or to Osama. At least not third.
glider pilot - he's always the last one, but getting insurance against
yourself is a bit of a strange thing

So, I'm still confused

"Robin Birch" wrote in message

Eric,
Ha ha but well put.

In essence, due to this type of potential scenario we have to have a huge
third party liability and it is part of our normal insurance bill.

Robin

In message , Eric Greenwell
writes

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/...3820040430en00

#14 knitting needle and the sewing scissors. All they wanted to do was

--
Robin Birch

Old January 14th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 19:36 13 January 2006, Ipilot wrote:
I hope here are some glider pilots from EU.

I'm interested in getting some knowledge about how
different countries in EU
have applied following regulation to gliders and how
have glider clubs have
solved that.

Regulation:
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/...8/l_1382004043
0en00010006.pdf

I'm also interested in getting some hints about the
tarifs if anyone
actually buys this third-party insurance for gliders.
Insuring a single
place glider against hijacking seems at least a bit
funny to me. Thus far
no-one has been able to explain me how to hijack Jantar
Std or LS-4.

Regards,
Kaido
www.purilend.ee

Third party insurance is now compulsory for flying
most types of aircraft in all EU Countries. For gliders
up to a MTOW of 500 kg the third party requirement
is $1,135,225, and over 500kg this doubles to $2,270,550,
but includes terrorism and hijacking insurance.

Unfortunately some larger single-seat gliders and most
two-seaters are just over the 500kg limit. How much
more damage you can do with a 501kg glider as compared
with a 499kg one is a mute point? The insurance premiums
on smaller gliders haven't been much affected, as it
was normal to insure gliders for £1,000,000 third party
in the UK, which exceeds the requirement anyway. However
there has been an increase for heavier gliders.

Haven't yet instructed anyone of middle-eastern appearance
who wants to learn how to fly, but not how to land!
How you would commit an act of terrorism or hijacking
in a glider is beyond me also.

Derek Copeland

Old January 14th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It is not fun!

The insurance is mandatory. You just must have it. I pay ca
50€ for mine, so it is not that expensive.

Robert
H304
Sweden

Old January 16th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hijacking does seem unlikely, but on the 3rd-party insurance side there
have been at least 2 recent third-party fatalities involving landing
gliders.

Whilst in these cases the glider pilots were possibly not primarily to
blame the potential liability of half a ton of high speed fibreglass
shouldn't be underestimated.

#14 knitting needle and the sewing scissors. All they wanted to do was
hang around airports anyway, so not really an improvement."
Pilot: "Bummer, my sweetkins." (to himself: "Perhaps I should take her
out to dinner tonight, as she may be too upset to cook").

--
Robin Birch

Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM
Third party liability insurance Michal Lewczuk Soaring 0 January 21st 05 11:08 PM
Production rates? Ed Byars Soaring 38 November 24th 04 04:13 PM
insurance for Sport Pilots! Cub Driver Piloting 4 September 11th 04 01:14 AM
Underwater Gliders Burt Compton Soaring 6 November 25th 03 04:43 AM