Torrey Pines / La Jolla - What is really changing?

Old January 11th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Torrey Pines / La Jolla - What is really changing?

Sat. a.m. in the San Diego Business Journal at:

http://www.sdbj.com/industry_article...60&aID2=132997

Michael

Old January 12th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

New buildings encroach upon the airspace around the gliderport at Torrey
Pines.
Makes it more difficult to fly that traffic pattern.

Old January 12th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 11, 5:14*pm, "BT" wrote:
Makes it more difficult to fly that traffic pattern.

When I flew there landings were straight in off the ocean to the cliff
top, downwind and uphill. No buildings in the way of doing that are
there? Did the landings change since then? I never flew there on a
very strong wind day.

Andy
Old January 12th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 12, 8:20*am, Andy wrote:
On Jan 11, 5:14*pm, "BT" wrote:

Makes it more difficult to fly that traffic pattern.

When I flew there landings were straight in off the ocean to the cliff
top, downwind and uphill. *No buildings in the way of doing that are
there? *Did the landings change since then? * I never flew there on a
very strong wind day.

Andy

Not sure what they mean by "re-aligning" the runway. There's not much
of a runway to speak of.

There are certain criterion that must be met to get certified as a
temporary airport, as Torrey Pines must be each season, displace
thresholds and unobstructed glide slopes, etc. They don't always
reflect how the site is used in practice.