Bothering a Pilot on Final

Old May 27th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gliderguynj

Default Bothering a Pilot on Final

This weekend I was flying down to Ocean City NJ.... I was second in
pattern when someone came on the radio calling to the pilot on final
approach. Pilot on final, Pilot on final....you have the wrong freq.
We were flying, and didn't reply. He came on again, Pilot on Final
you have the wrong freq.... And repeated.

Apparently the "good samaritan" was thinking of Ocean City Md, which
has a different Freq. I finally got on and TX that we are on the
right Freq......

I have to admit, the whole thing was a bit distracting! My few
seconds of being distracted by this was enough to affect my pattern
alt. I understand the person was trying to be helpful but.....If the
pilot has already made it to final, why keep on TX'g? I mean the
pilot is on Final, let him/her concentrate on putting the plane down!
The person Tx'g wasn't on the field, didn't see what was going on and
was creating more of a situation than he was trying to help prevent.

It was a good lesson for me to try and tune out nonesense and just fly
the plane. I'm glad it was just a minor distraction like the radio
and in the future I'll be better prepared for a distraction in
pattern. So I guess I should say Thanks!

Doug
Old May 27th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"gliderguynj" wrote in message

I have to admit, the whole thing was a bit distracting!

The first time I took my brother for a ride, I had about ten hours as a
private pilot. As we were on final, he asked "What's that burning?".

I asked if it was inside the plane or outside. When he said "Outside - over
near the lake", my response was "I don't give a F*%& what it is right now".

Old May 27th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:15:57 -0700 (PDT), gliderguynj
wrote in
:

I understand the person was trying to be helpful but.....

The FAA regulations and Advisory Circulars only mention broadcasting
position on CTAF. There is no mention of communicating air-to-air.

I know CTAF is being used for almost everything but that for which it
is intended. But that doesn't make it okay.

Personally, I limit my CTAF transmissions to announcing my position,
and nothing else.

Old May 27th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
rosspilot

On May 27, 1:15*pm, gliderguynj wrote:
[...]

I love that airport . . . fly there often with my wife--short walk to
the beach, showers at FBO when you get back to the airport . . . and a
quick one hour flight home.

Old May 28th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

If he's on the wrong freq.. how is he going to hear the call from the dumb
guy on the ground.
BT

Old May 28th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

On May 27, 2:34*pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:15:57 -0700 (PDT), gliderguynj
wrote in
:

I understand the person was trying to be helpful but.....

The FAA regulations and Advisory Circulars only mention broadcasting
position on CTAF. *There is no mention of communicating air-to-air. *

I know CTAF is being used for almost everything but that for which it
is intended. *But that doesn't make it okay. *

Personally, I limit my CTAF transmissions to announcing my position,
and nothing else.

I'd agree. Particularly annoying are these clods running around with
handheld radios - using them
to keep track of each other, coordinate lunch, etc - nothing
whatsoever to do with the safety of
flight. Sometimes it's better to to turn the radio off than listen to
the drivel.

Dave
Old May 28th 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

Eventually you learn to ignore or deal with distractions like that.
I'll always remember a Young Eagle I gave a ride to in a J-3. I
always asked if they wanted the "door" open or close...this young lad
wanted it closed. That's fine, we take off, do the circuit, and I'm
30 seconds from touchdown. He must have been thinking the whole time
about his decision because he chose then to yell "OK, you can open the
door!" Not wishing to disappoint I reached over and flopped it
down. That way he could brag to his friends how he flew in a plane
with the door open.

Another time I gave a Dad and his two sons a ride in a C-182, with the
older son sitting in front. A 182 with full flaps on landing can
point down at a good angle, and I guess it scared the kid because on
final he started yelling "we're going to crash! we're going to crash!"
I started looking around to see why...didn't occur to me later the
nose-down attitude was the only reason.
--
The world is divided into people who think they are right.
~ Unknown
Old May 28th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Personally, I limit my CTAF transmissions to announcing my position,
and nothing else.

I'd agree. Particularly annoying are these clods running around with
handheld radios - using them
to keep track of each other, coordinate lunch, etc - nothing
whatsoever to do with the safety of
flight. Sometimes it's better to to turn the radio off than listen to
the drivel.

One of the only upsides of GA flying declining is that there is far less of
that noise on the radio now. Personally, I'd like to suffer with the drivel
again.

I really like are the guys who announce that they're "over-flying the field
at 4500 feet, heading West..."
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 28th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

If he's on the wrong freq.. how is he going to hear the call from the dumb
guy on the ground.

ROTFL! That's as dumb as the guys who -- in the presence of a stuck
microphone clogging the frequency -- announce into the blue that "Someone's
got a stuck mike -- check your mike!" -- as if the offender could hear them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 28th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-05-28, Jay Honeck wrote:
I really like are the guys who announce that they're "over-flying the field
at 4500 feet, heading West..."

I hadn't heard that until I started listening to the Fairmont CTAF. What's
the point?
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)

US Navy Test Pilot School F/A-18 turning onto final approach at KNPA today Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 2nd 07 09:45 PM
US Navy Test Pilot School F/A-18 turning onto final approach at KNPA today Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 2nd 07 09:44 PM
US Navy Test Pilot School F/A-18 on final approach at KNPA today Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 2nd 07 09:44 PM
Sport Pilot Final Gilan Home Built 34 August 13th 04 03:20 PM
Sport Pilot Final Gilan Piloting 19 July 22nd 04 04:38 PM