Perfect loop

Old June 5th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Perfect loop

Viperdoc wrote:

Snipped for brevity

It's funny. I just answered Bertie and mentioned the difference between
instantaneous g with release and sustained g for the "pain factor :-).
Instead of the Viper, my 9g was in the F14 at Pax. Man, did that hurt!!

I'll ping you if I hear from Patty.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 5th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

I agree. Phil would have me pull just to the edge where the stick got
a little light, just before the airflow separated and got the usual
high AOA, high speed stall. Same with the pulls from the downlines-
bump the stick to load the G and then a hard pull just on the edge of
a stall (which sometimes happened). Nothing like doing a stall going
around 180k+ straight down with a hard pull! However, with some
practice I at least imagined I could feel the sweet spot just before
the burble of the stall.

When it was all said and done, the G meter would typically read max
6.7 to around -2.5, and I don't do snaps at more than around 120-130,
so I think most of the load came from the pulls to a vertical or other
looping figures.

Of course, my floor is 2,000, and early in the season I start a lot
higher, and certainly not on the deck. I've seen Patty fly many
times, at airshows, OSH, and in practice at St. Augustine, but I don't
ever recall a simple loop, but obviously quarter loops and pulls to a
45. I still can't imagine it would ever be as low as 4 G, and would be
somewhat surprised if less than 6-7, which seems to be the most
efficient G load to get the direction changed when going 160 (my
typical entry speed for a loop).

On the other hand, I've experienced some sustained 8G level turns in
the F-16 with full burner, and had the (not so enjoyable) experience
of 9G in a centrifuge. The sustained power was much tougher, since the
aerobatic planes bleed off energy so fast, as compared to a jet in
afterburner. The computer automatically limited the G load based upon
what we were carrying, which typically was two big drop tanks.

In the centrifuge the guy two rides before me had his heart slow down
and then stop. They did a crash halt, and with all of the running
around and sirens and flashing lights, he woke up and said he had been
having the most pleasant dream! The guy just before me completely
forgot about his G strain, and then puked before passing out.

My ride was next (what a smell), but luckily with my limited acro
experience I knew what to anticipate, and even then it was still hard.
Anyway, I would like to hear what Patty has to say.

Good God.
The stall is fairly easy to control in your Extra though, right? That is
to say you can keep it right there with a great deal of control at the
edge? I know the leading edge on those things is very blunt and rounded
and that should enable a large range of alpha and a fairly gradual
breakdown of laminar flow.

Bertie
Old June 5th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I rarely did more than four displaying and I found five in the Decathlon
or Lakes was punishing, but of course neither lasted for long because
the speed evaporatd very quickly from those sorts of Gs anyway. I
couldn't hardly take more than three outside and avoided doing much of
that anyway! Got a good excuse to stay away from them with the new
airpane anyway..

Bertie

I'm with you. Getting WAY too old for that kind of work :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 5th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Perfect loop ping Viperdoc

Viperdoc wrote:
Anyway, I would
like to hear what Patty has to say.

Just heard from Patty. Here's what she said.

Hi Dudley

Greetings from Denver.
Well, of course it depends on the speed and what I'm adding to the top
of the loop (and adding that the Extra has such a wide envelope) I
usually use between 6 and 8 Gz.
Hope this is helpful.
Patty

Looks like you are right there with her although I'm guessing she is
assuming a multiple maneuver sequence (adding at the top) that might
require the extra smash.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 5th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Viperdoc wrote:

What a pretentious bunch of nonsense. Haven't you old fools got anything
better to do than run around posing on a message board?

Old June 5th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

Viperdoc wrote:

What a pretentious bunch of nonsense. Haven't you old fools got anything
better to do than run around posing on a message board?

Now so bitter and so sad -have all your minor triumphs been reduced to
so little?

Cheers
Old June 5th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
Actually, if you read the posts, the quote is from gregvk, not me.

No, actually it's from me, but he's just trolling anyway.

Old June 5th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Viperdoc wrote:
Actually, if you read the posts, the quote is from gregvk, not me.

Actually, you're both wrong. This came from the usual source, Maxwell. :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 5th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:j1L1k.2527$yi.1807
@newsfe13.lga:

Viperdoc wrote:

What a pretentious bunch of nonsense. Haven't you old fools got anything
better to do than run around posing on a message board?

Well, we haven't got time enough to trail around after half a dozen old
fools posing on a message board. Where is this message board, BTW? you mean
the genital wart board you poast on?

Berite
Old June 5th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.2600
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Educating Maxwell, Part 2

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

Actually, I'm not all that old, although I admit to a few grey hairs.
When the high level acro pilots talk about shaving weight in their
planes, I just say I'll go an a diet and lose 30 lbs.

Regarding the blunt LE of the Extra, I thought the intent was to
actually separate the air flow more quickly (or perhaps it is the
squared off TE), in order to get a cleaner snap entry. When it does
break it kind of shudders, especially at high speed, and just a slight
release of the back (forward) pressure will get things going again. In
fact, it's hard to accelerate a spin, especially to the right (at
least in my plane), without it actually stopping the spin and starting
to do a wallow-spiral.

Yeah, I suppose. i expressed it poorly, but what I was driving at was
control of the seperation so you could detach and reattach at will, as
opposed to say, a clark Y type of seperation where you enter a snap and it
take a ridiculous reduction in alpha to stop it. I understand your type of
airplane will stop the instant you ask it to with a minimal change in
alpha.

All I know is that it's a lot of fun to fly, a challenge to land, and
I am very fortunate to be able to own one.

You ae indeed! I thought they were supposed to be fairly easy to land,
though! There's one near me for rent. I really ought to go try it out
someday.

Bertie

outside loop niceguy Aviation Photos 13 August 9th 07 06:57 AM
My Ground Loop Reid & Julie Baldwin Piloting 53 December 5th 05 11:29 PM
More likely to ground loop? [email protected] Piloting 16 February 25th 05 03:21 PM
AN-2 performing a loop Maro_SK Aerobatics 1 March 25th 04 08:18 PM
What is a ground loop? Mike Piloting 34 July 30th 03 06:19 PM