Aerobatics and children

Old December 23rd 04, 04:38 AM

Default Aerobatics and children

I've got a 6-year old son who's convinced he'll be a Blue Angel when he
grows up.

He's asked a number of times if we could go do aerobatics some time.

I think he's too young for it to be safe, but at what age might it
start to be appropriate? What types of things to I need to take into
consideration?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Alex

Old December 23rd 04, 05:34 AM
Dudley Henriques

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a 6-year old son who's convinced he'll be a Blue Angel when
he
grows up.

He's asked a number of times if we could go do aerobatics some time.

I think he's too young for it to be safe, but at what age might it
start to be appropriate? What types of things to I need to take into
consideration?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Alex

There are a lot of factors to consider here. Six is very young.
The first thing you have to consider is an accurate self evaluation as
to your own motives with this. Strange as it might sound, a father's
love for his son coupled with his love of flying can produce a negative
result if you're not extremely careful. How much of this is him, and how
much of it is actually your desire to see him live out this dream? Don't
take this the wrong way, as I believe you want the best result, of you
wouldn't have posted this question here.
There are a lot of issues involved, and it's something I'd give a lot of
thought to before committing to actual aerobatics with a six year old.
The result could be positive....or regardless of his "wishes", once in
maneuvering flight, you could actually scare him badly. It's just
something you want to consider carefully.
Another thing would be the type of aircraft you intend using for this,
and who will be doing the flying. The restraint system could also be an
issue if he's very small in stature depending on the system involved.
One more thing to consider with something like this is if the airplane
is tandem or side by side. If tandem, and he IS frightened, you might
not be able to see this happening.
These are just a few of the issues involved. The biggest issue as I see
it as an aerobatic pilot myself, is aircraft egress in emergency. This
single issue could be a VERY important factor if something went wrong
and you had to leave the airplane.
I'm not trying to alarm you with these things...just make sure you are
aware of them.
I sincerely hope, whatever you decide to do, that it's the right thing
for your son. Aspiring to the Blues is a worthy goal. The path is long
and arduous. Personally, my advice to obtaining that goal wouldn't
involve aerobatics at age six, but rather could involve starting him out
on the road to solving Fermat's Last Theorem! It's THIS kind of
motivation that will get him into the Blues. We can teach him to do a
good slow roll any time
:-)
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
for email; take out the trash

Old December 23rd 04, 04:05 PM
billybob

I took my youngest at 5 and just did one or two maneuvers at a time. Never
more than 3 in one flight and combined it with seeing other stuff and only
when he asked to do something. He didn't like high-G stuff and I always
tried to keep it to less than 3g. Also, I never did anything with a snap;
always smooth maneuvers. The only thing that scared him was when he would
get his head stuck. Their heads are comparatively large and they have those
little necks, so it's easy for him to get his head down and not be able to
pull it back up during a maneuver.

oups.com...

Old December 24th 04, 05:32 PM

Hi Alex,

I would recomend starting with soaring, you can look for a club in your
area he http://www.ssa.org/ - There are aerobatic gliders when he is
ready but I would just start out teaching him the basics and work up.
That's how my dad did it with me.

- Joe

Old December 26th 04, 04:54 AM

Thanks. That's a great idea. I've made contact the soaring club here
in our area in the past but never gone for a ride. Maybe this is the
impetus I need to get back with them.

Alex

Old December 26th 04, 10:27 AM
KMH

Alex,

I have daughters 8 and 10. They have both done basic aero's with me and
loved it. The 8yo squeeled with delight as we looped and rolled. It
obviously depends on the individual, but kids are so adaptable. I guess a
6yo might be on the limit, but if my experience is anything to go by, he's
nearly there. I'd suggest a steep turn to expose him to some g's and if that
goes OK, try a couple of gentle wing overs to introduce 3d motion. Make the
aero session no more than a few minutes then land and monitor his wellbeing.

If he handles it with no adverse consequences and is keen for more, you'll
have your answer.

Mal

oups.com...