Hobbs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 4th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

Default Hobbs

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
B A R R Y wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Which brings up a very interesting question. I'm building a plane that
will be licensed as an Experimental. Once inspected I'll have to test
fly for 40 hours for phase one. If I use a Hobbs as the official time
and hook it to the MS I would probably end up reducing the phase one
time considerably.

That is interesting. Does the FAA specify tach vs. oil pressure Hobbs,
vs. electric Hobbs?

Think of how many pilot logbooks are based on electric Hobbs time.

If I understand, the stipulated value is "flight time". Not ground time.
Not hobbs time, not engine time.. nor master switch time.

But the feds are also taking it on the honor system that you will not tie
it down and let it run up 40 (or 25) hours on the ground, then sign off
phase 1.

My particular install has an engine monitor that records hobbs time, when
the engine is operating, and flight time, when the ASI is above 30 mph.

Dave

There's flight time and then there's PIC time. I log PIC time from engine
start to engine shutdown. I know some that log PIC time only when they're
moving. I know a guy who logs PIC time from ropes off to ropes on.

I log flight time from wheels off to wheels on (or the amphib equivilant).
None of that is based on tach time. I have no use for Hobbs time.

My personal checklist has Tach at S/U, Start time, T/O time, T/D time,
Shutdown time, Tach at S/D.

--
Travis

fwd: For Hobbs Jack Soaring 9 November 26th 06 05:28 AM
Hampton Inn Hobbs, NM Kilo Charlie Soaring 5 July 10th 04 02:03 AM
Hobbs Day 5 7-08 # 711. TomnKeyLargo Soaring 2 July 9th 04 04:14 AM
Hobbs Day 2 7-05-04 TomnKeyLargo Soaring 0 July 6th 04 05:24 AM
LS8-18 FS after Hobbs (USA) SAM AND LEIGH ZIMMERMAN Soaring 1 April 5th 04 12:43 PM