SURFACE PATCHING PASTE

Old July 4th 16, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

Default SURFACE PATCHING PASTE

I have always used Simtec's 4981 white patching paste to repair small dings and minor cosmetic divots. However I use such small amounts over long periods of time, nearly the entire quart eventually turns to rubber and has to be trashed.

I am looking for a lower quantity solution to avoid wasting so much material and cash. White is a must and MEKP catalyst is preferred but I am flexible on that.

Any suggestions?

Paul
ZZ
Old July 5th 16, 08:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For very small dents, you could use cold enamel for repairing bathtubs, kitchen stoves etc. Available in small bottles (20 ml). Not really kosher, but...

http://www.ditmer.nl/EN/Enameling/Ca...old_enamel.htm
Old July 5th 16, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

West Marine sells a patching paste. I have used it in the past for mid-season minor dings. With careful wet sanding and polishing it makes a pretty invisible repair.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...-kit--14153282
Old July 5th 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 4:16:34 PM UTC-5, ZZ wrote:
I have always used Simtec's 4981 white patching paste to repair small dings and minor cosmetic divots. However I use such small amounts over long periods of time, nearly the entire quart eventually turns to rubber and has to be trashed.

I am looking for a lower quantity solution to avoid wasting so much material and cash. White is a must and MEKP catalyst is preferred but I am flexible on that.

Any suggestions?

Paul
ZZ

This looks interesting from West Marine:
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-s...04_120_001_508
Old July 5th 16, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 2:26:41 PM UTC-4, CLewis95 wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 4:16:34 PM UTC-5, ZZ wrote:
I have always used Simtec's 4981 white patching paste to repair small dings and minor cosmetic divots. However I use such small amounts over long periods of time, nearly the entire quart eventually turns to rubber and has to be trashed.

I am looking for a lower quantity solution to avoid wasting so much material and cash. White is a must and MEKP catalyst is preferred but I am flexible on that.

Any suggestions?

Paul
ZZ

This looks interesting from West Marine:
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-s...04_120_001_508

Good for your boat or trailer, but stick with the good stuff for glider repairs.
UH
Old July 5th 16, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 2:16:34 PM UTC-7, ZZ wrote:
I have always used Simtec's 4981 white patching paste to repair small dings and minor cosmetic divots. However I use such small amounts over long periods of time, nearly the entire quart eventually turns to rubber and has to be trashed.

I am looking for a lower quantity solution to avoid wasting so much material and cash. White is a must and MEKP catalyst is preferred but I am flexible on that.

Any suggestions?

Paul
ZZ

You can extend the life of your 4981 by keeping it in the freezer. Best to let it warm a bit before opening so you don't get condensation in the can.

Craig
7Q
Old July 5th 16, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Seems like a business opportunity for someone who knows this stuff and can write...

Down package the good stuff to make a glider ding kit. Everyone gets little dings now and then. Quantities can be quite small to make the kit affordable. Include comprehensive instructions.