Cobra Trailer Tow Chain Attach Points

Old July 9th 16, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Cobra Trailer Tow Chain Attach Points

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 7:38:36 AM UTC-7, Craig Reinholt wrote:
State safety chain requirements differ. Here is a summary by state.
http://www.expediter.com/natm%20pdf%...Laws-Table.pdf
When in doubt, go to your state DOT website and see what is required.

That suggests that if you license your trailer in the right state, you don't need chains.

In California, you need chains and they must be short enough to keep the tongue off the ground.
Old July 10th 16, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 10:38:36 AM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
State safety chain requirements differ. Here is a summary by state.
http://www.expediter.com/natm%20pdf%...Laws-Table.pdf
When in doubt, go to your state DOT website and see what is required.

Thanks for that link! I had no idea that there was such a bewildering variety of regulations.
So what is one to do while on a trip from one state that has hardly any requirements through one that requires QE2 style anchor chains? Could one get cited for violating that state's laws?
Uli
AS
Old July 10th 16, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My guess is that, as long as you're compliant with the laws of the state
in which the trailer is registered, you'll be OK just passing through or
visiting. Too bad it's not the same for speed limits (think California
where you have to drop 20 mph when towing a trailer). But I never
played a lawyer on TV, either.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 11th 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar-Hotel-Mike

Thanks for all the comments but I don't think that my initial question was answered.

To paraphrase - What part of a Cobra trailer should the chains be attached to? Where are your chains attached?

Thanks, John
Old July 11th 16, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 7:18:38 AM UTC-6, Oscar-Hotel-Mike wrote:
Thanks for all the comments but I don't think that my initial question was answered.

To paraphrase - What part of a Cobra trailer should the chains be attached to? Where are your chains attached?

Thanks, John

OHM,
I have (And just restored) a 1999 Cobra and the chain attach point coincides with your picture. If you have further questions contact Alfred Spindleburger at Cobra. He has been helpful throughout my restoration. If you contact him early in the day (US) he will still be in the office (In Germany) and usually will get right back to you.
Old July 11th 16, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 7:39:47 AM UTC-6, K m wrote:
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 7:18:38 AM UTC-6, Oscar-Hotel-Mike wrote:
Thanks for all the comments but I don't think that my initial question was answered.

To paraphrase - What part of a Cobra trailer should the chains be attached to? Where are your chains attached?

Thanks, John

OHM,
I have (And just restored) a 1999 Cobra and the chain attach point coincides with your picture. If you have further questions contact Alfred Spindleburger at Cobra. He has been helpful throughout my restoration. If you contact him early in the day (US) he will still be in the office (In Germany) and usually will get right back to you.

I meant to write , If you email him early in the day he will get right back to you.
Old July 11th 16, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Based on experience, if the trailer tongue/drawbar snaps where it enters the trailer (stress concentration), the brake actuator rod does a fine job of keeping the trailer behind the tow vehicle, although the trailer swings pretty wildly back and forth.

If the front mounting point of the tongue fails, the rear mounting mount can remain attached but the front of the trailer settles onto, yes, the brake actuator rod. In this case, everything looks normal (except the trailer is riding a bit tail high) until the smoke starts pouring off the wheels from the brakes being full on.

All of this assumes the coupler is still attached to the ball, of course. A break or disconnect at that point (or if the trailer hitch itself fails--I have some experience with that, too) makes you glad you used chains.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"