PowerFlarm “Own Transponder Detection" Rate

Old July 13th 17, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default PowerFlarm “Own Transponder Detection" Rate

Yes, I do see PCAS alerts. And, having read more of this thread, I
believe I'm suffering from this as well. I occasionally get a PCAS
alert at +00 altitude and on top of my location. I've looked like crazy
and never seen another aircraft that close so I guess I can assume that
I'm getting a false alarm, too. I'll look at my config file and see if
I left something out.

On 7/12/2017 12:08 PM, John Carlyle wrote:
Thanks, Dan. At least I know someone has found a way to get to a point where there are no PCAS false alarms! But I really have to ask - do you see any PCAS alerts for other aircraft?

-John, Q3

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:54:11 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Not that I can help but I haven't experienced that problem with my
Stemme. My transponder antenna is on the under side of the carbon nose
bowl and the PF antennae are on top of the glare shield. Maybe the
carbon blocks the transponder signal so the PF doesn't "see" it directly.

On 7/12/2017 8:34 AM, John Carlyle wrote:
I’ve been trying to get the rate of "own transponder detection" by my PowerFlarm Core as low as possible. Nothing I’ve done has improved it beyond roughly every 10 minutes, on average. Sometimes it’s much worse, showing up almost constantly. Turning off PCAS isn’t really an option for me, so I’d like to know if it’s possible to get a lower false alarm rate.

QUESTION - If you have a PowerFlarm with the PCAS function turned on, what false alarm rate are you getting? If the period is longer than 10 minutes, what did you do to get it (configuration settings, antenna placement, area you fly in)?

For reference, I’ve been working on this problem in both my old LS-8 (with a Mode S) and my new one (with a Mode C). Both ships used the same PowerFlarm configuration file settings, except for XPDR and MODESALT (both were set correctly for each ship). OWNMODEC was set to Aggressive in both ships. The PowerFlarm and transponder antennas were in the same position in both ships (glare shield and tail boom, respectively) and the PowerFlarm Core was the exact same unit for both ships, too.

-John, Q3

--
Dan, 5J

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 13th 17, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I have a mode C transponder and never had a false alert from my own transponder, not even once in the 1500 hours or so that I have with powerflarm.

Ramy
Old July 13th 17, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Wow, Ramy, sounds like you found the magic! Would you kindly share some details?
1. Contents of your PowerFlarm config file
2. Type and location of your Flarm antennas
3. Location of your transponder antenna
A lot of us would dearly love to be able to duplicate your amazing results.

-John, Q3

Old July 14th 17, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

1- Both powerflarm antennas in the nose (no carbon in the nose section of my 27a).
2- transponder antenna under the seat pan in front of the stick (so not far from the powerflarm antenna, maybe 3 feet at the most.
3 - configuration file may need to wait until next week or so. BTW I recall there is an option to suppress own transponder more aggressively, I just used the default.

I really never had false alert from my own transponder, no kidding. And my mode C alert is working very well.

Ramy
Old July 14th 17, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Many thanks, Ramy. What you have doesn't seem too different from my set-up, except I have about 8 feet separation between the transponder antenna and the Flarm ADS-B antenna in a fiberglass fuselage ship. Perhaps the 27's carbon fuselage does some helpful attenuation of your own transponder signal?

I look forward to seeing your configuration file. OWNMODEC in my configuration file is set to Aggressive (= 0). I don't know whether this is the default value.

Do other 27/29 owners who are seeing false Mode C alerts have their transponder and Flarm antennas mounted similarly to Ramy's?

-John, Q3

Old July 21st 17, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 7:31:21 AM UTC-7, John Carlyle wrote:
[...]

Here is the relevant part of my config file. The rest is default.

$pflac,s,acft,1
$pflac,s,xpdr,1
$pflac,s,id,XXXXXX
$pflac,s,pcasvrange,600
$pflac,s,pcasrange,5000

Ramy
Old July 21st 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Hi, Ramy,
Thanks for posting those configuration values. The important PCAS parameters to which you are defaulting a
Modesalt - default is 1 (get altitude from Mode S signal)
Ownmodec - default is 0 (aggressive mode used with Mode C transponder)
Modec - default is 1 (enable processing of Mode C targets, ie, PCAS)
Since you don’t get false alerts from your own transponder you probably don’t want to “fix” things. But you really should put the command $PFLAC,S,MODESALT,0 into your configuration file, since you have a Mode C transponder. This will not only read altitude values from the PF internal pressure sensor, the altitude will be much less quantized than the 100 foot intervals in a Mode S signal. Right now you are configure to sometimes getting an altitude value from a stray Mode S signal.

-John, Q3

Old July 21st 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

John my guess is that since I am configure for mode C, powerflarm is smart enough to ignore the mode S altitude default. I believe this was my conclusion at the time when I first configured my powerflarm. My config file is based on their sample config file which was provided before the config tool was available.
The altitude difference readings I get are very accurate based on flying with gliders with transponder and flames the numbers are always very close (and the distance is also impressively accurate even though it is only estimated based on strength).

Ramy
Old July 21st 17, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

I can't argue with success, Ramy! Really appreciate you posting all of your information, it was extremely important to know that PCAS can work properly.

I'm still trying to duplicate your PCAS performance, and thanks to you, Jim Staniforth and Darryl Ramm I now have an idea to test out. Wish me luck - I'll let you know how I get on.

-John, Q3