New inReach Device - Mini

Old May 3rd 18, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New inReach Device - Mini

They just announced the new inReach Mini. Looks interesting in that it is significantly smaller. See the review he

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/...th-review.html

Not in the market for a new device, but this may change that.
Old May 4th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

I like the looks of it. This can replace the PLB I keep in my pants pocket in case I have to bail out. The bigger InReach devices are too bulky.
Old May 5th 18, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 11:06:25 AM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
I like the looks of it. This can replace the PLB I keep in my pants pocket in case I have to bail out. The bigger InReach devices are too bulky.

Doesn't look like much has changed, except its smaller. And the old one is small enough for me.
Old May 5th 18, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Ben, these shouldn’t go in the pocket. They need good satellite reception. They go in the parachute strap so size doesn’t matter much.

Ramy
Old May 6th 18, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 7:24:55 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Ben, these shouldn’t go in the pocket. They need good satellite reception. They go in the parachute strap so size doesn’t matter much.

Ramy

Good point, Ramy. Still, if I'm going to strap something to my body, the smaller the better.
Old May 7th 18, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 4:15:17 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 11:06:25 AM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
I like the looks of it. This can replace the PLB I keep in my pants pocket in case I have to bail out. The bigger InReach devices are too bulky.

Doesn't look like much has changed, except its smaller. And the old one is small enough for me.

I like smaller and new! But I think I'll be keeping my Garmin inReach Explorer +. Compared to the original "black box" style, the Explorer + isn't bulky, though it's at least twice the size of the new Mini.

The Mini doesn't appear to have a map display. It does have a compass pointer to help in a hike out situation and will allow a topo map on a paired smart phone running the Earthmate app. The Explorer + will do all that also, and has a usable map included in case the phone is toast or gone.

Both inReach units I've had caution to make sure they have a clear view of the sky. And both don't seem to much care if they do or don't - just completed a test laying flat in the middle of my living room. Clear sky is best of course, and upright too, but they don't seem fussy or miss cues like Spot..

I sent a message from the bottom of a steep walled river canyon in Idaho. Had only a narrow slice of sky to work with. Took about 5 minutes, eventually a satellite came trundling across. Impressive.

Inreach Tango Eight Soaring 4 May 2nd 18 02:26 PM
What device to use with the InReach? Eric Greenwell[_4_] Soaring 17 March 19th 13 04:54 AM
DeLorme inReach Paul Remde Soaring 8 February 12th 13 07:26 PM
New HUD device Craig Funston[_2_] Soaring 0 October 27th 11 02:10 AM
DIY DF device John Home Built 15 May 4th 04 11:32 PM