Halloween 2009 - Pumpkin Drop at Caracole - video link

Old November 16th 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB

Default Halloween 2009 - Pumpkin Drop at Caracole - video link

Halloween fell on a Saturday this year.
Well,
if the soaring is a little soft, we can surely come up with alternate
aviation entertainment. I invited three families with kids from our
town who have adult airport ties, but parents who don't (yet) fly.
Two families made it to the ramp for the afternoon.
The local newspaper showed up with their camera.
The airport cafe emptied onto the front porch to watch the game.

The attendees were only required to bring along ammunition of a guage
or caliber that allowed them to hold it under their arm against their
waist, to be certain it was manageable by the various sizes
of bombardiers.

To keep the smaller ones entertained while everyone got their turn,
fat markers were provided with directions to decorate melons, gourds,
pumpkins with the names of siblings, coworkers or agencies that
needed to be SPLATTED. A fun fellow, Wade Carman, who is adding
his glider rating to a single-engine was an enthusiastic videographer.

Karen Serkowski brought along a huge plate of major decorated
cupcakes, Caracole had spiced apple cider, and thankfully a
pair of airplanes for bombing platforms.

The weather was sparkling and calm. Six of the seven kids had never
been off the ground before in anything smaller than a fat Boeing.
One from each household was reluctant to think about a flight.
Instructions were offered that a parent, sibling or other designated
pilot could be chosen to loft or heave the quiet ones 'bomb'.
But by the time their chance came around, ALL the kids went
up and gave a great heave-ho. Adults who had not flown, or
had a long layoff from flight all got a chance also. Passes were
at ~300 agl and mostly 60-65 knots.

Chuck Klein, Derek Lisoski and Marty Eiler were the designated
drivers, and coached most rear seaters into the approximate
release timing. The upended bright red 55-gallon trash can was
sufficiently north of the ramp area to assure compliance with
FAR 91.15. Only one glider bombing launch was made, with
plenty of ammo on board, and several governmental agencies
were smashed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h-c8pbJu2s

Following bombing, sugary treats were washed down with cider,
and the investigation of accuracy began. It was determined that the
red-trash can is safe to serve for another event. (Zero hits,
except by peripheral spray.)

Already, three folks, large and small, have asked if we can heave
turkeys in a few weeks! And I have it on authority from the parents
that
the stories of derring-do and accomplishment are spreading through
the elementary and junior high schools, along with hopes to repeat
their flights.

What a way to promote youthful interest in the airfield and pilots!
In December we have the return visit of Boy Scouts for their fall
intro flight day. If you aren't busy elsewhere, give us a call and
come join the fun.

Cindy B
www.caracolesoaring.com
Old November 16th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Free Flight 107

Wonderful Cindy,

You realize Pumpkin Pies are traditional at T'day too!

I like this version of Pumpkin Chunking better than the NJ style.

Keep it coming and we'll have the whole town flying gliders by Easter!

Maybe you could go on the road as a Flying Circus of Pumpkin Bombing?

Wayne
Old November 17th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Nov 16, 11:28*am, Free Flight 107 wrote:
Wonderful Cindy,

You realize Pumpkin Pies are traditional at T'day too!

I like this version of Pumpkin Chunking better than the NJ style.

Keep it coming and we'll have the whole town flying gliders by Easter!

Maybe you could go on the road as a Flying Circus of Pumpkin Bombing?

Wayne

I finally had an opportunity to watch the video last night. What a
Hoot!! That's a super way to get kids some 'initial exposure' to
flying!
Back seat in the convertable Grob looks like fun too.

Old November 24th 09, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB

Who won?

Everyone who flew that day,
and everyone who watched the video,
and everyone who uses the idea for a fun game to
get more folks to their airfield for next year.

Really?
The Red trash can target won.
It remained unmolested for another year.
It had a few splattered pieces from rebounding effect,
but was otherwise untouched.

Call me a nervous nellie, but I wouldn't let anyone near
the impact zone for 'scoring' while the aircraft
were still in action. Considering we flew about 20
folks that afternoon, beginning at 2 pm, scoring
accurately would have slowed things down toooo much.

Some smashing folks had to get home to collect or distribute
candy to little folks. We checked the trash can at
about four thiry ... before sundown.

Cindy B
www.caracolesoaring.com

On Nov 22, 6:12*pm, "Dan Thirkill" wrote:
So who won?

Old November 24th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

"CindyB" wrote in message

Halloween fell on a Saturday this year.

I heard a Ralph Kiner story about two baseball players in the early
days
of the last century when they saw a barnstorming airplane for the
first time.
The catcher said, "I bet I could catch a baseball thrown from that
plane"
and the pitcher said "You're on!"

They went over to where the plane landed and made the arrangements.
The pitcher actually threw an orange from the plane (unknown to the
catcher).
The force of the impact knocked the catcher flat on his back. The
orange
juice got in his eyes and temporarily blinded him, so he could only
tell
the effects by feel. He though the juice was his blood and the seeds
were
his teeth.
Old November 25th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

"CindyB" wrote in message

Halloween fell on a Saturday this year.

I heard a Ralph Kiner story about two baseball players in the early
days
of the last century when they saw a barnstorming airplane for the
first time.
The catcher said, "I bet I could catch a baseball thrown from that
plane"
and the pitcher said "You're on!"

They went over to where the plane landed and made the arrangements.
The pitcher actually threw an orange from the plane (unknown to the
catcher).
The force of the impact knocked the catcher flat on his back. *The
orange
juice got in his eyes and temporarily blinded him, so he could only
tell
the effects by feel. *He though the juice was his blood and the seeds
were
his teeth.- Hide quoted text -

Messy! (and arguably mean) The catcher would have won the bet with a
baseball, as terminal velocity (roughly 40m/sec, or 90ish mph) is
slower than a fast ball thrown by amajor league pitcher!

F-18 Flight video link Peter Westerkamp-TBRR Owning 0 February 8th 07 02:34 PM
Link to aerobatic flying video Blue Oval/Dan Edwards Aviation Photos 4 January 19th 07 02:50 PM
Video link - no crash zatatime Piloting 4 October 19th 04 04:10 PM
link a video Danilo Fachin Soaring 0 February 20th 04 09:31 PM
"Support Our Troops" Video (Link) dave911 Military Aviation 0 July 29th 03 06:59 AM