AIR Glide S

Old October 20th 15, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default AIR Glide S

I recently found some interesting articles concerning AIR Glide S and it's inertial platform in particular. Enjoy:

http://www.how2soar.de/index.php/584...ut-frustration

http://www.how2soar.de/images/H2S_me...sch%20V2.1.pdf

http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/lestef...l/icra2012.pdf

Latter one has some heavy math in it, but worth reading anyway (incl. references for further study). They measured AIR Glide ISU accuracy with GPS signal switched off. Position error was 600 meter after 30 mins flight. Not bad.
Old October 20th 15, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 6:12:13 PM UTC+3, krasw wrote:
I recently found some interesting articles concerning AIR Glide S and it's inertial platform in particular. Enjoy:

http://www.how2soar.de/index.php/584...ut-frustration

http://www.how2soar.de/images/H2S_me...sch%20V2.1.pdf

http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/lestef...l/icra2012.pdf

Latter one has some heavy math in it, but worth reading anyway (incl. references for further study). They measured AIR Glide ISU accuracy with GPS signal switched off. Position error was 600 meter after 30 mins flight. Not bad.

Without (yet) reading those documents, that is amazing. It suggests that the accuracy of the accelerometers is on average within 0.00004 of a G.
Old October 20th 15, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

A question to anyone who uses AirGlide S. Is there a nav box available in the software that displays compass reading?

Regards, Andrzej
Old October 20th 15, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Not as far as I can tell, but some options are abbreviated and without pop-up explanation. There is GPS track like any other instrument.
Perhaps heading is reserved for the Display M and L?
Jim

Old October 20th 15, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Tuesday, 20 October 2015 21:21:19 UTC+3, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
A question to anyone who uses AirGlide S. Is there a nav box available in the software that displays compass reading?

Regards, Andrzej

Not as navbox, but magnetic compass reading is visible on horizon page.
Old October 20th 15, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Thanks for posting those links. I'd be interested in trying some of the settings described in the second link - if I could just read the instrument settings.

Any chance that someone could translate the words on the screens?

-John, Q3

Old October 21st 15, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

At 21:16 20 October 2015, John Carlyle
wrote:
Thanks for posting those links. I'd be

interested in trying some of the
settings described in the second link - if I

could just read the instrument
settings.

Any chance that someone could

translate the words on the screens?

-John, Q3

Just enter the setup menus in English.
The boxes should be in the same order.

Old October 21st 15, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 8:12:13 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
I recently found some interesting articles concerning AIR Glide S and it's inertial platform in particular. Enjoy:

http://www.how2soar.de/index.php/584...ut-frustration

http://www.how2soar.de/images/H2S_me...sch%20V2.1.pdf

http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/lestef...l/icra2012.pdf

Latter one has some heavy math in it, but worth reading anyway (incl. references for further study). They measured AIR Glide ISU accuracy with GPS signal switched off. Position error was 600 meter after 30 mins flight. Not bad.

Regarding the description of wind accuracy in the first link: This was my impression also: that the instantaneous wind indication could not be accurate, as it was so dynamic. However after two years of use I have come to believe it is accurate, and the wind field really is that dynamic, you just had no way to measure it before. This instrument is really in a class of its own.
Old October 21st 15, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 03:32:11 UTC+3, jfitch wrote:

Regarding the description of wind accuracy in the first link: This was my impression also: that the instantaneous wind indication could not be accurate, as it was so dynamic. However after two years of use I have come to believe it is accurate, and the wind field really is that dynamic, you just had no way to measure it before. This instrument is really in a class of its own.

I agree, I started noticing noise in wind measurement when going to under 2 sec time constant. Wind measurement is basically as fast as the variometer.. Now who would do a software where I could record 3D airmass movement with AIR Glide to a file and visualize it later with Seeyou or similar?
Old October 21st 15, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Of what use is instantaneous wind? Can you react to it without flapping
control surfaces all over the place? Do you use it for planning your
next turn in a thermal?

Not knocking it, I just don't get it why it would be important. Please
enlighten me.

--
Dan, 5J

Glide computer Mark Siegelberg Soaring 1 January 13th 07 01:08 PM
Best Glide computer and why Roger Soaring 10 October 24th 06 08:28 PM
Glide Loops [email protected] Soaring 0 April 29th 06 05:55 PM
JSW Glide Calculator snaproll59 Soaring 5 November 7th 04 04:01 PM
SpaceShipOne First Glide.... [email protected] Home Built 1 August 11th 03 04:03 AM