LX-Nav S80 settings

Old May 17th 16, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Default LX-Nav S80 settings

I just installed an LX-Nav S80 and remote stick controller, and while I am mostly impressed with the hardware, the operating manual is sorely lacking in many areas.

When trying to enter the value for ballast weight, you have a choice between overload, weight, lb/sqft and kg/m2. Absolutely no explanation is given in the manual about how to use these numbers. I can understand lb/sq ft and kg/m2, but this isn't how I normally load my glider. And I have no idea what "overload" might refer to.

I just want to set my empty glider weight and pilot weight with chute in the appropriate fields and then enter the weight of the ballast I intend to carry.

Do I enter the gross glider weight or the ballast weight added?

Any help would be appreciated. As I get more involved with the mysteries of the S80 and its woefully inadequate operating manual, I will undoubtedly have more questions.
Old May 17th 16, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

The polar that is loaded in the computer should include the flying weight of the glider without ballast (empty weight, plus pilot, plus parachute, sandwich, etc). You just need to then tell it how much water you are adding. I think the easiest setting may be "weight". Then you just enter how many lbs of water you are loading and you should be good to go.

Be sure to download the latest firmware if it wasn't shipped with it. I had to do 2 updates to get mine working in the last 6 months.
Old May 17th 16, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kelvyn Flavall

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 6:19:08 PM UTC-7, Mark628CA wrote:
[...]

I have an LX9000 which looks like it uses a similar system. From various parts of that manual I believe you have three options when entering ballast
1. Overload, which is the sum of the empty glider weight, pilot and ballast divided by the reference weight (which is the weight used when calculating the polar).
2. Load, in lb/sqft or kg/m2
3. Weight, which is just the weight of the water ballast. The glider and pilot weights are entered elsewhere in the polar and flight recorder setups.

I use option 3 and just enter the weight of water added.

Old May 17th 16, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 03:19:08 UTC+2, Mark628CA wrote:
I just installed an LX-Nav S80 and remote stick controller, and while I am
mostly impressed with the hardware, the operating manual is sorely lacking
in many areas.

I found the German manual had a little bit more information in it than the English one and Google Translate worked well enough to make sense of it.
Also the merged S8*/S10* manual is a bit confusing so I use the previous S80 manual (LXS80ManualEnglishVer0501i.pdf).
They really could spend more time on their manuals.

When trying to enter the value for ballast weight, you have a choice between
overload, weight, lb/sqft and kg/m2.

I prefer to work with weight. One litre of water = one kg so that makes entering the ballast easy for us metric folk.

Absolutely no explanation is given in the manual about how to use these
numbers. I can understand lb/sq ft and kg/m2, but this isn't how I normally
load my glider. And I have no idea what "overload" might refer to.

Did you read page 66 of the S8x/S10x manual or page 52 of the S80 manual?
It explains the fields and how the overload is calculated.

▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼
Reference load (wing loading) value represents the value at which the polar was
measured.

Reference weight corresponds to the weight value at which the polar was measured.

Maximum takeoff .weight is the maximum take-off weight allowed for the glider. It is not used in the calculation; it is just a reminder to the pilot of the maximum take-off weight.

Empty weight is weight of the glider without the pilot and ballast.

Pilot weight is the weight of the pilot with parachute and baggage.

Co Pilot Weight is the weight of the co-pilot with parachute and baggage.

overload = (Empty glider weight + Pilot weight + Water ballast) / Minimum glider weight
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

The "minimum glider weight" referred to in the overload calculation above is actually the polar reference mass and not the empty weight. That is very misleading wording.

I just want to set my empty glider weight and pilot weight with chute in the
appropriate fields and then enter the weight of the ballast I intend to
carry.

You just need to add your parachute weight to your own pilot weight and enter the figure in the "Pilot weight" field.

If you plan to use your S80 with XCSoar then please take note that the way XCSoar and LXNav determine the overload factor is different and not entirely compatible with each other however there are work arounds.
I find the way LXNav calculate the overload factor to be less intuitive than the way XCSoar does it.
I posted it in the XCSoar forum in case anyone is interested https://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2564
Old July 6th 16, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So when I installed the S80 - I attached the TE tube so that it has about 6 ft of separation between the S80 and my mechanical Vario. I think that is good.

But reading the manual - it goes into detail about Electronic TE, when the S80 is not attached to the TE tube, but to the a static port - I have 2 static prots that do nothing -

Should I go with the Electronic TE on the S80??

WH
Old July 7th 16, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 1:59:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
So when I installed the S80 - I attached the TE tube so that it has about 6 ft of separation between the S80 and my mechanical Vario. I think that is good.

But reading the manual - it goes into detail about Electronic TE, when the S80 is not attached to the TE tube, but to the a static port - I have 2 static prots that do nothing -

Should I go with the Electronic TE on the S80??

WH

I just investigated this by asking people in the know, from what I'm told even a decent TE system will yield a better result than electronic, due to inherent errors in many static systems. But static errors can be glider dependent, results vary. Look into static system errors and you will get an understanding of why that is the case. I was told to check my TE system and try to make that work first. I've done that and am happy with the results.. I have not tried electronic, maybe someone that has can chime in.
Old July 7th 16, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin

A TE system are only dependent of the TE-probe and non-leaking tubes.
A electronical system are dependent on correct dynamic- & static probes, the relative position of the two and non-leaking tubes. i.e a system which more factors to consider during installation.

I have chosen TE based on these factors:
- TE was fine with my previous computer (Zander)
- Static ports are known to have problems on old gliders (read any of the Johnson reports)
- My glider has dynamic in the nose and static on the tail boom, which is not good enough for electronic compensation.

I think that electrical compensation is only valid if you have an multi-probe in the fin. For the rest of us in the TE-compensation better.

Read Borgets guide for installation. All modern computers are of pressure transducer type, therefore is there generally no problem to have a mechanical and electrical vario on the same TE-probe if you follows the guidelines below.
http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/in...tallation.html
Old July 7th 16, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I fly an LS8-18. I started with a C302 and now have an S80. I have a mechanical vario on the TE probe and the C302/S80 were/are set-up with electronic compensation. This way the two systems are independent.

The key was determining how to use the static ports. The aircraft manual states that the nose ports are for the airspeed indicator and the tailboom ports are for the vario. I tried using just the nose ports, linking the nose and tailboom ports together, and using just the tailboom ports. For my plane, using just the tailboom ports works extremely well.

I am still working out the problems causes by the S80 resetting itself to the factory settings during the software update. It took my a full flying season to understand the instrument and address all the settings needed to get the instrument to work the way I wanted it to. Unfortunately, I had not completed a detailed list of all the settings. My first flight after completing the update was a mess because the factory setting for the vario is to use the TE probe and I am set-up for electronic compensation. The flight wasn't ruined by the wrong compensation because I had my mechanical vario on the TE probe. It was ruined by me trying to reset the instrument while flying. It would be very nice if LX Nav would do two things for S80 users. First, allow system updates without changing all the settings. Second, provide a detailed list of all the settings with spaces for you to enter your personal settings and create the list in the same order in which one finds the settings while scrolling through the pages. Something like an Excel Spreadsheet.
Old July 7th 16, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Something like an Excel Spreadsheet."

There is an excel sheet I got off this blog. I forgot where it was but I am sure you can find it - very detailed.

I asked LXNAV why they don't have a user blog on their site - with such a complicated device - help makes all the deference in the customer experience.

WH

Old July 7th 16, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

drguya---
See Per Carlin's post on this thread (above). He developed a pretty nice Excel spreadsheet that will help you record your settings for input after the next firmware update.

V7/Oudie settings dbrunone Soaring 2 January 10th 13 08:14 PM
Flap Settings Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 14 July 13th 07 04:19 AM
Nav radio settings in FMC Mxsmanic Piloting 5 January 10th 07 09:39 PM
ATC Altimeter Settings O. Sami Saydjari Instrument Flight Rules 81 April 11th 05 08:07 PM
L-nav Settings Ventus 2ct-18 Oliver Peters Soaring 4 July 18th 03 04:14 AM