Is it Possible to Self launch (no wingman) with CG hook??

Old November 5th 04, 10:40 PM
Ventus B

I've launched many a time from a grass strip without a wingman. Of
course the glider will have a tendancy to turn toward the down wing,
but you simply correct for that with rudder as the low wing starts to
come up. However there are variables that may make things different
for you. For example a good strong tug can make a huge difference in
your ability to safely launch with a wing down. If you can't
accelerate quickly then you are likely to be pointed far off course
before your wing starts to come up. We fly with a 180 HP SuperCub at
sea level. Also, I fly from a grass strip so dragging a tip on the
ground is no big deal. Lastly some wing tips have skids that might
have more of a tendancy than others to "grab" the ground beneath them.
Look at one of the LS gliders as compared to a Schleicher to see what
I am talking about.
Bottom line is that it can be safely done under the right
circumstances, and in fact I personally encourage you to practice it.
This could make the difference between being able to fly, or not, if
you are short handed at the gliderport some day.
Respectfully,

(Jerz Rossignol) wrote in message om...
Hi Guys,

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to self launch with no
wing man on a cg hook only glider. I have skids on my wingtips as
well. Would you put the wing that's on the ground further forward at
start? What's the technique!!
I think this is why having a cg hook is a disadvantage.

Regards,

Jerz

Old November 5th 04, 11:06 PM
Eric Greenwell

Jerz Rossignol wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to self launch with no
wing man on a cg hook only glider. I have skids on my wingtips as
well. Would you put the wing that's on the ground further forward at
start? What's the technique!!
I think this is why having a cg hook is a disadvantage.

My experience is it's more reliable with a nose hook. I discovered this
after I had a nose hook retrofitted to my ASW 20 C while it was in the
shop to have a damaged wing tip fixed (the damage was caused by a
botched attempt to launch without a wing runner).

I suggest you consider having a nose hook fitted. In any case, be much
more alert than usual, and ready to release at the hint of trouble.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 5th 04, 11:40 PM
Z Goudie

At 16:24 05 November 2004, Jerz Rossignol wrote:

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to self
launch with no
wing man on a cg hook only glider. I have skids on
my wingtips as
well. Would you put the wing that's on the ground further
forward at
start? What's the technique!!
I think this is why having a cg hook is a disadvantage.

Did it a long time ago next to Fasnakyle Hydro Power
Station near Inverness.
I drove the winch (a scrap car jacked up with a drum
full of piano wire bolted to one rear hub and the differential
jammed).
The pilot in an Olympia 460 with one wing balanced
on a pile of tyres at the other end.
He eventually went to 13,000' in the wave after I had
exited the winch with giant steps as the released wire
narrowly missed the 132Kv pylons running down one side
of the field!

Old November 6th 04, 12:12 AM
Stefan

Jerz Rossignol wrote:

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to self launch with no
wing man on a cg hook only glider.

I do it regularly. No problem, neither winch nor aerotow, neither paved
nor grass runway, if the grass is not too long.

Start with aileron and rudder fully deflected, hold them fully deflected
until the wing rises and then correct as needed. Be prepared to release
immediately if something goes wrong.

Stefan

Old November 6th 04, 01:14 AM
Mark Grubb

Disadvantages of CG hooks are overblown.

Have launched AS-W20 (many times), Libelle, Std. Cirrus, DG, LS-4 and
likely others with CG hook and tip skids with no wingrunner. Have
towed many as well.

A method that has worked for me in the past.

Assess situation. Deside at what point you will release if it is not
working out, what the obstacles are on the upwind side of the runway,
how "up" you are mentally for this, and risk / benefit analysis.
Decide before pushing out / rigging if it is worth the risk today.

1) Put a/c on downwind side of runway centerline to allow for max
possible
amount of lateral drift toward Xwind and dragging wingtip. Not on
the
absolute downwind edge, but downwind of centerline. How much is a
judgement call.

2) Put upwind wing on ground. It will come up quickest in this
attitude.

3) Point aircraft "slightly" downwind. "Slightly" is a function of
intensity
of Xwind, wind velocity in general, a/c handling characteristics,
and
ground surface conditions. Obviously, more downwind heading in
larger
X-wind components and softer ground surface. Less for hard
surface, less
X-wind, and greater headwind.

4) Hold full downwind ("up-wing") rudder BEFORE takeoff roll begins.
The goal
is to minimize any upwind / down-yaw yawing inertia you have to
overcome.
Getting ahead of the system by having full rudder in before the
roll begins
is a very powerful tool. It is much easier to remove rudder than
it is to
stop a yaw that has already begun.

5) Review where release handle is and at what point you will pull off
if wing
is not up, you begin to laterally leave the useful runway surface,
or you
do not have sufficient control authority to continue. I have
punched
off multiple times in ridge conditions back east (USA) in rough,
gusty 20+
kt Xwind before finally getting airborne. A good ridge day made
it
worth it and an excellent tow pilot (thanks Dad!), and some sage
advice
helped made it work.

5) Have tow plane take up slack, hold brakes, and apply T/O power.
Tuggie
should watch propwash behind him and not begin roll until propwash
has
reached glider - and hopefully for a second or 3 after that.

Crucial issue is to decide quickly if launch is not working out and
pull off before it builds up enough energy to bust airplane / hurt
you. One can always push back and try again.

Kiwi's in Omarama, NZ routinely retrieve fiberglass gliders
wingrunner-less from remote strip / fields by using sticks and rocks
to prop up wing. Have done it this way from a narrow strip and it
works fine as well.

Of course, all of this is "Dangerous", and R.A.S. Theorists will
likely tell you about all the crashes these procedures cause.

Pay your Money and Take Your Chances (Or Not).

Best, Mark
Old November 6th 04, 01:59 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article , goneill wrote:
If they can not find the sawhorse they have used an empty cardboard box
to hold the wing up.

I like the idea of the (softer) cardboard box better than
the sawhorse. A sawhorse seems like overenginee...oops, over-building
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old November 6th 04, 04:05 PM
Eric Greenwell

Mark James Boyd wrote:

In article , goneill wrote:

If they can not find the sawhorse they have used an empty cardboard box
to hold the wing up.

I like the idea of the (softer) cardboard box better than
the sawhorse. A sawhorse seems like overenginee...oops, over-building

Who removes the sawhorse or cardboard box from the runway after the takeoff?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 6th 04, 04:24 PM
Shawn

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Mark James Boyd wrote:

In article , goneill
wrote:

If they can not find the sawhorse they have used an empty cardboard box
to hold the wing up.

I like the idea of the (softer) cardboard box better than
the sawhorse. A sawhorse seems like overenginee...oops, over-building

Who removes the sawhorse or cardboard box from the runway after the
takeoff?

Prevailing wind will plaster the box against the airport fence, to be
recycled after the flight.
The next 1-26 to land will take care of the saw horse.
;-)

Shawn
Old November 6th 04, 05:59 PM
Jack

Shawn wrote:

Prevailing wind will plaster the box against the airport fence, to be
recycled after the flight.
The next 1-26 to land will take care of the saw horse.

Be careful what you say about the 1-26: your Mosquito could catch a Virus.

Jack

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Vandenberg Launch, April 17 Piloting 5 April 9th 04 02:21 AM
Ground launch and the incremental vanishing of soaring Mark James Boyd Soaring 24 March 8th 04 10:50 PM
Pegasus/TRACE Launch Photos Posted Brian Webb Military Aviation 0 February 21st 04 03:50 PM
Friendly fire pilot may testify against wingman Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 11th 03 09:32 PM