Why We Lost The Vietnam War

Old February 8th 04, 01:13 PM
Spiv

"ANDREW ROBERT BREEN" wrote in message
In article .net,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"ANDREW ROBERT BREEN" wrote in message

Strictly speaking, it wasn't: that honour goes to the Vickers
Nene Viking. Comet I was, however, the first into commercial
service (the Nene Viking being more in the nature of a trial run).

Did the Nene Viking ever carry a passenger? As I recall, the Viking

served

Honestly not sure - never carried fare-paying passengers, f'sure.

as a Nene engine testbed only and reverted to piston engines after it had
served that purpose. That doesn't sound like a jet airliner to me.

shrugs OK, first airliner to be powered by jet engines, if
you prefer. The Viking was certainly an airliner and the Nenes
were certainly jets,

Which makes it a jet airliner.

so whether or not the resulting combination
was intended for service as passenger-carrier or as a testbed
for the engine there's a touch of "airliner+jet" about it,

I would say a lot. Airliner with jet engines, is a jet airliner.

whichever way you re-arrange the words. The Avro Tudor V
probably falls into the same box (though, unusually for a Tudor,
not very hard).

Comet was the first one to fly commercially, though. Tu-104
probably the second (don't think Canadair C-102 ever carried
fare-paying passengers).

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/

Old February 8th 04, 01:19 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Spiv" wrote in message

Which means nothing at all. The UK is not small.

It depends on one's point of view.

Old February 8th 04, 01:20 PM
Spiv

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Spiv" wrote in message

Nonsense. Britain invented globalisation in the 1700s. The UK has
consistently imported produce and products that are cheaper than the
home market. When it comes down to it, it can feed itself. In 1939
it was not ready,still importing vast qualitioes of food from the empire
and others. By 1945 internal food production was way ahead of 1939.

In other words, the UK could not arm or feed itself during WWII.

You must learn to focus and at least attempt to get a point. The UK by 1945
could feed itself if it wanted too. Once the battle of the Atlantic was won
importing huge quantities of food from the USA and Canada was no longer a
problem. Later in the war the UK could arm itself with no problems, but in
the early part of the war, when Britain was fighting on many fronts by
herself, she could not arm herself against a country that had begun arming
itself for 10 years before the war, even with British industry running flat
out.

Old February 8th 04, 01:21 PM
Spiv

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Spiv" wrote in message

The UK is not small.

The UK is small. That seems to bother you a great deal. Why?

It doesn't. I know it is not small, I live here. t bothers you though.

Old February 8th 04, 01:22 PM
Spiv

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Spiv" wrote in message

It was a people carrying jet.

So was the Meteor.

That was man o war only carrying people who flew it.

Is that better for you. Do you now understand.

I'm trying to help you understand.

Please don't help me. I can't think down to that level of yours.

Old February 8th 04, 01:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Spiv" wrote in message

You must learn to focus and at least attempt to get a point.

You must learn that your point is not valid.

The UK by 1945 could feed itself if it wanted too.

The war ended in 1945.

Once the battle of the Atlantic was won
importing huge quantities of food from the USA and Canada was
no longer a problem.

But still a necessity as the UK could not arm or feed itself during the war.

Old February 8th 04, 01:43 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Spiv" wrote in message

It doesn't.

It obviously does.

I know it is not small, I live here.

Then you are not in a position to make a comparison.

t bothers you though.

Why would I be bothered by the size of the UK?

Old February 8th 04, 01:48 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Spiv" wrote in message

That was man o war only carrying people who flew it.

But a people carrying jet, just as the Nene Viking. Neither carried people
for compensation as jet airliners do.

Please don't help me.

If you don't want help why are you here?

I can't think

You've made that clear, but if you put forth a bit of effort you might be
able to. You're young, there is much for you to learn. If you change your
attitude you can acquire a lot of information from these forums.

Old February 8th 04, 01:54 PM
Brett

"Spiv" wrote in message

Nonsense. Britain invented globalisation in the 1700s. The UK has
consistently imported produce and products that are cheaper than the
home market. When it comes down to it, it can feed itself. In 1939
it was not ready,still importing vast qualitioes of food from the

empire
and others. By 1945 internal food production was way ahead of 1939.

In other words, the UK could not arm or feed itself during WWII.

You must learn to focus and at least attempt to get a point. The UK by

1945
could feed itself if it wanted too.

Even with ration cards it couldn't. And the UK still had ration cards for
some food items as late as 1954.

Old February 8th 04, 03:49 PM
Spiv

"Spiv" wrote in message

You must learn to focus and at least attempt to get a point.

You must learn that your point is not valid.

The UK by 1945 could feed itself if it wanted too.

The war ended in 1945.

That is amazing.

Once the battle of the Atlantic was won
importing huge quantities of food from the USA and Canada was
no longer a problem.

But still a necessity as the UK could not arm or feed itself during the

war.

No, yet again you fail. When importing large qualities of grain, etc from
north America, It meant the UK could concentrate on war production. Simple
when you know how.