Skip the IR rating and go straight to commercial and CFI?

Old May 19th 05, 04:17 PM
Brian

I agree with the earlier post that "many" was probably more appropriate
than "Most".

As to when "many" lost there currency usually it is with 6 months to a
year after their insturment check ride. The next time I was IFR
Current was 6 years later when a week after my CFII Check ride I went
for an IFR Proficency flight with my instructor. Interesting according
to my Examiner the CFII Checkride did not qualify for Instrument
Proficency unless the Examiner signed it off as such.

Brian

Old May 19th 05, 05:54 PM
Robert M. Gary

Notice I said "not current or capable". Yes, some maintain legal
currency. But how many spend enough time in the clouds that they would
actually take a student in the clouds? I would estimate somewhere
between 10%-20%.

-Robert, CFI

Old May 19th 05, 08:01 PM
Guillermo

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need some opinions on this possible scenario

Here is my situation....

I have a full time day job making good money, which I am not wanting to
leaving. I am a private pilot with 143.8 total hours (94.1 PIC) and I
am wanting to teach the PPSEL rating as a CFI for additional income.

My thinking is I would not have enough time or funds to maintain IFR
currency and have no desire to teach the IFR rating. I also have no
desire of making flying my sole employement or income resources (wife,
baby, mortgage, etc.)

So based on that I am thinking about skipping the IR rating and going
straight to the commerical and then CFI.

I know this probably isn't that common, but is there anything wrong
with my thinking or going this route? Would I be looked upon
differently if I decided to go this route?

A commercial without an instrument is kinda useless, and as pointed out, IFR
rating is required to be a CFI (an I will agree with that completely).
Given the times you have (150 hours), I think it is logical that you go for
your instrument, which will get you closer to the hours you need for the
commercial.

Advice: Get your commercial from the right seat. It'll be trickier at the
beginning, but it will make it MUCH easier to get your CFI after that.

Old May 19th 05, 10:13 PM
Morgans

"Hilton" wrote

OT: I just realized that being a Dad is like being a CFI. You help guide
the 'student' to make the correct decisions and let them experience just
enough without hurting themselves.

Excellent! Very true words, well spoken!
--
Jim in NC
Old May 19th 05, 11:06 PM
gregg

I need some opinions on this possible scenario

Here is my situation....

I have a full time day job making good money, which I am not wanting to
leaving. I am a private pilot with 143.8 total hours (94.1 PIC) and I
am wanting to teach the PPSEL rating as a CFI for additional income.

My thinking is I would not have enough time or funds to maintain IFR
currency and have no desire to teach the IFR rating. I also have no
desire of making flying my sole employement or income resources (wife,
baby, mortgage, etc.)

So based on that I am thinking about skipping the IR rating and going
straight to the commerical and then CFI.

I know this probably isn't that common, but is there anything wrong
with my thinking or going this route? Would I be looked upon
differently if I decided to go this route?

All opinions welcome

Thanks

Just a side thought..something to consider but no need to answer he

how secure are you in the future of the income you are making/

If a person could not be reasonably certain that they will be making enough
money in the future to pay for the expensive training, then that might be a
consideration. One might decide to get the rating now while they have the
$$.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old May 20th 05, 12:51 AM
Grumman-581

"Guillermo" wrote in message ...
A commercial without an instrument is kinda useless

I will allow you to fly in the airshows of the CAF... It'll also allow you
to do some cropdusting...

Old May 20th 05, 02:50 AM
BTIZ

makes sense to me
BT

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
Jose wrote:

So, examine your own flying, see which camp you fit into, and decide
appropriately.

He has 150 hours ... isn't commercial with 250 hours?
so the hours would be well spent with IFR training.

#m
--
Three witches watch three Swatch watches.
Which witch watches which Swatch watch?