Tips on Flying to Dulles

Old May 11th 05, 06:24 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Tips on Flying to Dulles

In June we are planning to fly to Washington Dulles International (IAD) to
participate in Margy Natalie's "Reach for the Stars: Become a Pilot" Family
Day at the National Air & Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy facility. (Yes, we're
going to be a museum piece for the day. Think: Disney animatronic
Presidents on display -- except that it will be Mary, me and the kids
standing by our plane, talking to museum visitors about our family flying
experiences!)

The trip looks pretty easy -- 666 nm, in about 4:41. Weather permitting,
we'll be there by lunch.

However, after hearing all the horror stories about F-16s and TFRs, it seems
wise to approach the Usenet Altar of Knowledge, and ask those familiar with
all the flight restrictions around Washington, D.C. for any tips on how best
to approach Dulles VFR. What's the best way to get in?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 11th 05, 07:09 PM
Ray Bengen

You won't have any problems just extra work to do. Done it many times.
ATC are terrific at helping. It's really SOP today. Hopefully, the
bloody thing will go away soon. Also hope pilots will stop penetrating it
accidently and will understand the ramifications to us all.

AOPA's online course does help. http://www.aopa.org/adiz/adiz.html .

File your flight plan on the phone, VFR or IFR:
Get your squawk code
( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...1403_check.pdf )
Fly and don't forget to keep squawking until you land and clear the runway:
Enjoy the flight.

I'm not trying to diminish the workload just saying once you adhere to the
procedure, it's no huge deal IMHO.

Let us know how it went.

Ray

Old May 11th 05, 07:48 PM
Jay Masino

Ray Bengen wrote:
I'm not trying to diminish the workload just saying once you adhere to the
procedure, it's no huge deal IMHO.

It's not a huge deal, unless you make an innocent mistake, or have an
avionics failure of some sort. Then it could become a huge deal. The
procedure is easy, the ramifications of making a mistake are significant.

Jay should note that if, at any time, ATC loses his transponder returns,
he'll be instructed to make an immediate 180, and leave the airspace.
This sometimes happens because of "dead zones" in the airspace where ATC's
radar can't interrogate your transponder (for whatever reason). If they
can't contact you on the radio (to tell you that your transponder isn't
working), you'll be intercepted. AOPA recommends that you familiarize
yourself with intercept procedures, prior to entering the DC ADIZ.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old May 11th 05, 10:21 PM
Jose

The DC ADIZ thing is easy enough - you just have to do it perfectly or
you get busted. I've gone in there many times, even VFR flying at 1000
feet. Filed the appropriate DC ADIZ flight plan before we left, climed
to 3000 early enough to contact ATC, eventually they came back to us and
gave us the squawk code and cleared us in. While this was happening,
the controllers were confused about somebody else who was being issued
two different codes and they were getting ready to do something (I don't
know what).

But once I got my code and was talking to approach, I could go back down
to a prettier altitude and fly in.

As for Dulles, find out beforehand where the FBO is, and plan on landing
long as needed to minimize taxi time. (ask or tell the controllers what
you are doing). The controllers are very accomodating.

The FBO choices you have are Signature and Piedmont. Free food. Bring
your wallet. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KIAD

You will taxi forever on takeoff. The FBO seems to never be near the
active runway, and the last time I was there they changed the active so
I had to taxi to the other end weaving between big iron. It helps to
know the key named taxi reporting points beforehand (though they are
fairly evident as you get to them)

Last time I was there, there wasn't any public transportation to speak
of. There is talk of running the Metro there, but I don't think it's
happened yet.

Jose
Old May 11th 05, 10:33 PM
Ron Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:

However, after hearing all the horror stories about F-16s and TFRs, it seems
wise to approach the Usenet Altar of Knowledge, and ask those familiar with
all the flight restrictions around Washington, D.C. for any tips on how best
to approach Dulles VFR. What's the best way to get in?

IFR would be the best way.
Second best, stop somewhere nearby and file your ADIZ plan and come in.
Getting into the Class B isn't really any different with the ADIZ in
place (other than certain places you can't go anymore). You'll call
up some well known place (like Winchester) and get your squawk before
you penetrate the ADIZ.

Potomac TRACON told Margy they're going to put on extra controllers for
her event. Further information to the "invited guests" will no doubt
be forthcoming (otherwise they aren't going to let you taxi anywhere
near where you want to go).
Old May 12th 05, 12:39 AM

Jay Honeck wrote:
In June we are planning to fly to Washington Dulles International

(IAD) to

[snip]

What's the best way to get in?

In light of today's events.... by automobile.

Old May 12th 05, 02:28 AM
John T

"Jose" wrote in message

Last time I was there, there wasn't any public transportation to speak
of. There is talk of running the Metro there, but I don't think it's
happened yet.

They're working on it:
http://www.dullesmetro.com

'Course, I'm not holding my breath.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old May 12th 05, 02:39 AM
John T

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

Potomac TRACON told Margy they're going to put on extra controllers
for her event. Further information to the "invited guests" will no
doubt be forthcoming (otherwise they aren't going to let you taxi
anywhere near where you want to go).

I must have missed the memo. Where can I get the details of this event?

Old May 12th 05, 10:59 AM
Michelle P

Jay,
Regardless of whatever a controller tells you keep your squawk and keep
talking until you are on the ground. They are good about telling you
that now but they weren't when all of this started.
Flying into Dulles or Leesburg is pretty easy.
While not required, file your ADIZ flight plan with Leesburg FSS. 866
225 7410. Call and make sure it is available before you take off. It
avoids problem in the air.
I file four to five a night with them, most of the briefers know my
voice at this point.
I was in the air over the sky's of DC when all the mess happened
yesterday. I would have never know if my observer had not told me. The
controller in my sector seemed un-concerned.
Michelle

Old May 12th 05, 11:48 AM
Ron Natalie

Jose wrote:

You will taxi forever on takeoff. The FBO seems to never be near the
active runway, and the last time I was there they changed the active so
I had to taxi to the other end weaving between big iron. It helps to
know the key named taxi reporting points beforehand (though they are
fairly evident as you get to them)

The key to takeoff is frequently to ask for an intersection. Can't
tell you number of 1L at Y3 departures I've made. Of course, if
they're bent on sending you to 30, you're out of luck.

Last time I was there, there wasn't any public transportation to speak
of. There is talk of running the Metro there, but I don't think it's
happened yet.

Still decades away. You can catch a motor coach down to the nearest
metro, runs about $8 I think.