Tips on Flying to Dulles

Old May 14th 05, 01:37 PM
Ron Natalie

Morgans wrote:

4 or 5 a night? Wow!

Just curious, but what do you do that puts you there that many times?

Michelle is flying for the traffic reporting company in the area. She's
actually flying the same plane that Margy learned to fly in (it was sold
by Margy's instructor to the traffic reporting company owner). It was
amusing because I still had a key to it that I gave Michelle (I had
already told the present owner that I still had keys to it, but he's
a pretty cool guy and told me to hold on to 'em).
Old May 14th 05, 10:28 PM
Flyingmonk

I forgot to say that it is great that you are going to be a museum
piece. Most in here are already a .......... I'd better shut up.
Well, looking forward to that day. I went there about two years ago
with my daughter's Kindergarden class. I was one of the Chapparones.
Nice place, but they needed more planes in there, in my homble opinion.

So will you be showing your plane there as well? Who will you be
representing? EAA, AOPA, Dawn Patrol? Maybe I should read the whole
thread first huh? You may have already answered these Qs.

Later,
FM

Old May 15th 05, 02:19 AM
Ron Natalie

Flyingmonk wrote:
I forgot to say that it is great that you are going to be a museum
piece. Most in here are already a .......... I'd better shut up.
Well, looking forward to that day. I went there about two years ago
with my daughter's Kindergarden class. I was one of the Chapparones.
Nice place, but they needed more planes in there, in my homble opinion.

There are many more now. I got to watch a Lysander being hung. It's
not an easy thing to get some of these things out of storage, get them
prepped up and pretty and haul them around the beltway and get them on
display in the museum. However a whole lot of helicopters and a lot of
smaller aircraft have been moved in since you were there last. I
suspect the space hangar wasn't open the last time you were here either.
Old May 15th 05, 04:20 PM
Margy

John T wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

Potomac TRACON told Margy they're going to put on extra controllers
for her event. Further information to the "invited guests" will no
doubt be forthcoming (otherwise they aren't going to let you taxi
anywhere near where you want to go).

I must have missed the memo. Where can I get the details of this event?

http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/eventD...fm?eventID=295

The display is for INVITED AIRCRAFT ONLY, the last thing I want to do is
foul up ATC for the day and make it difficult to plan another event. ATC
is talking about adding a TRACON controller for the "other people who
hear about this and want to park at the FBOs and who fly into HEF and
JYO. I told ATC if I heard about other folks planning on coming in I
would let them know, but I haven't heard of any yet.

There will be about 30 aircraft on the ramp at the Udvar-Hazy center
ranging in type from a pair of Harriers to a Staggerwing (if everything
works out as planned today!). This is the first time planes will taxi
down to the museum and it will be perfect!! (please pray for perfect
weather).

The day includes much more than just the aviation display part an will
be a great event even if the weather doesn't come through for us. There
will be activities for museum visitors inside as well.

Margy
FCPS Aerospace Educator in Residence
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Old May 15th 05, 04:22 PM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
Potomac TRACON told Margy they're going to put on extra controllers for
her event.

Holy crikey -- an extra controller for 25 planes?

Guess they're 'spectin' us to really screw up, eh?

:-)

No, they think everyone and their brother will want to come for this
historic day and park up at the FBO.

Margy
Old May 15th 05, 04:25 PM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
Jay's going to be like seven hours in the air from the time he leaves
Iowa City until he hits the ADIZ. I wouldn't want to bet on hitting
the ptime that far out.

??

Destination Direct says 4 hours, 41 minutes, in a no-wind situation. I
expect I'll have a tailwind heading toward the vacuum, er, I mean, heading
toward Washington, D.C. ;-)

With the kids, though, I'll still want to stop for brunch and a potty break
somewhere with a good on-field restaurant.

Jay,

What you don't know yet is ATC will also already have your tail number,
name, where you are coming from, expected time of arrival and parking
arrangements. (I'll be sending an email out probably late next week).
I'm waiting to hear back from ATC what else they want. I don't know if
I'll need your mother's maiden name or not. This event is being run
VERY conservatively!!

Margy
Old May 16th 05, 02:37 AM
Jay Honeck

Don't know how I missed this thread. Anyways, email me a couple of
days prior and I'll drive your family around DC Metro and such.

Big Snip

Wow, Bryan, thanks for the incredibly generous offer!

I don't know all the details yet, as Margy is still working out a few loose
ends. We're planning to arrive the day BEFORE the event, just in case the
weather sucks, and I'm not sure if we'll be able to park at Dulles on that
day, or not. (Or if we'll be able to afford the parking fees!)

At this stage, I'll gladly take you up on the driving and lodging offer, but
it's all going to come down to the plans Margy has for us.

Stay tuned...and thanks a million!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 16th 05, 02:40 AM
Jay Honeck

So will you be showing your plane there as well? Who will you be
representing? EAA, AOPA, Dawn Patrol?

We will be representing "Family Flying" from the heartland of America, as
best I can tell.

I've even promised Margy that I'll bring the kids, shave, clean up my
language, and not spit on the tarmac!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 16th 05, 04:40 PM
Flyingmonk

That's great Jay. Tell Margy Sue can show her the mall, LOL. Assuming
that Margy loves to shop. The offer's good, just let me know prior and
we'll work out the detail. Manassas is thirty minutes away, Leesburg
is 12-15 min. away from Dulles, these two places are probably 10 times
(gross exaggeration) cheaper, fuel and tie-downs or hangering. Let me
know what you want to know and I'll see if I can get you some answers.

Bryan

Old May 17th 05, 01:22 AM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
So will you be showing your plane there as well? Who will you be
representing? EAA, AOPA, Dawn Patrol?

We will be representing "Family Flying" from the heartland of America, as
best I can tell.

I've even promised Margy that I'll bring the kids, shave, clean up my
language, and not spit on the tarmac!

:-)

Ok, I'll jump in here and try to explain my vision for the day. I want
to represent as many aspects of aviation as I can with 30 airplanes. I
hope to have a few "name brand" pilots as well as "just plane folks". I
view Jay and Mary as the pinnacle of "flying family". I think the kids
have been to OSH more years than their ages :-)! As of today some of
the "name brand" pilots you can expect to see are Kevin Kochersberger
(the Wright Flyer Pilot, Cherokee) and Gus McLeod (only person to fly
open cockpit to the North Pole, Firefly prototype). May also have
another biggie in the works. In addition we have a bunch of really neat
planes with just plane folks (like a really pristine Navion if it ever
gets out of the avionics shop), a 170, Varieze, RV-4, a Chipmunk,
Staggerwing, Swift, etc. We should also have a few bigger aircraft like
the State of VA will send the Citation if the Gov. doesn't need it that
day and a privately owned L-39. I think I've got an F-16 and a pair of
Harriers as well as a county helicopter. These are all I can remember
here at home (or feel like listing, I think I've a 172 and such also).

The whole idea of the day is to show museum visitors that ANYONE can
"Become a Pilot". In addition to the planes flying in there will also
be many activities going on inside the museum.

Aside to Jay - shouldn't be a problem landing Dulles early.
Margy