Skip the IR rating and go straight to commercial and CFI?

Old May 19th 05, 03:12 AM

Default Skip the IR rating and go straight to commercial and CFI?

I need some opinions on this possible scenario

Here is my situation....

I have a full time day job making good money, which I am not wanting to
leaving. I am a private pilot with 143.8 total hours (94.1 PIC) and I
am wanting to teach the PPSEL rating as a CFI for additional income.

My thinking is I would not have enough time or funds to maintain IFR
currency and have no desire to teach the IFR rating. I also have no
desire of making flying my sole employement or income resources (wife,
baby, mortgage, etc.)

So based on that I am thinking about skipping the IR rating and going
straight to the commerical and then CFI.

I know this probably isn't that common, but is there anything wrong
with my thinking or going this route? Would I be looked upon
differently if I decided to go this route?

All opinions welcome

Thanks

Old May 19th 05, 03:47 AM
Robert M. Gary

The commerical is a great idea. However, you must hold an instrument
rating in order to apply CFI-airplane. I'm not sure why since most CFIs
(and even most CFIIs) are not current or capable of going in the
clouds.

-Robert

Old May 19th 05, 04:28 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in news:1116470871.680560.327430
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

The commerical is a great idea. However, you must hold an instrument
rating in order to apply CFI-airplane. I'm not sure why since most CFIs
(and even most CFIIs) are not current or capable of going in the
clouds.

-Robert

I don't know if 'most' is an accurate description, but certainly 'many'
CFIs are not instrument current.
Old May 19th 05, 05:04 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Robert M. Gary wrote:
The commerical is a great idea. However, you must hold an instrument
rating in order to apply CFI-airplane. I'm not sure why since most CFIs
(and even most CFIIs) are not current or capable of going in the
clouds.

If he's smart he'll take the instrument written and the commercial written as
close together as possible. There's a fair amount of overlap on the regs.

When did most CFIs lose their currency? I've been away for a good while but it
seemed like most of the CFIs I used to know were quite capable.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 19th 05, 05:07 AM

Thanks,

I guess that takes care of that question.

Now for another one.

Instrument or Commercial rating first?

Old May 19th 05, 05:24 AM
Jose

I guess that takes care of that question.
Now for another one.
Instrument or Commercial rating first?

Depends. Time was I would say go for the IR first, but nowadays there
are so many sexy gizmos in the cockpit that new pilots spend far too
much time looking at them and not enough time looking out the window.
And enjoying the actual flight, for that matter. Without a purple line,
some of them may have difficulty knowing where they are on a paper chart.

Training for the IR just teaches more looking at instruments rather than
out the window. If you are already spending too much eye-down time,
then go for the commercial rating first.

The training for the commercial rating involves doing the same stuff as
a private pilot, only with greater precision and control (evidenced in
part by a set of required maneuvers). It's pretty much all
look-out-the-window and feel-of-the-stick flying, which is a great
antidote to GPS syndrome.

So, examine your own flying, see which camp you fit into, and decide
appropriately.

Jose
Old May 19th 05, 07:30 AM
Hilton

BTIZ wrote:
before the Instrument rating was mandatory for CFI...
IIRC... a CFI without an instrument rating could not take his student more
than 50nm from home..
made it sort of difficult to instruct cross country

If you re-position enough times, you can call just about anything a XC!
(Just kidding, couldn't resist, see previous thread on this)

OT: I just realized that being a Dad is like being a CFI. You help guide
the 'student' to make the correct decisions and let them experience just
enough without hurting themselves.

Hilton