Could the Press Grow a Spine?

Old June 24th 04, 11:14 PM
Leslie Swartz

The founders did indeed envision that tyranny, being a natural outgrowth of
consolidated power, would need to be checked by the right to keep and bear
arms.

The second amendment- second only to the first amendment- is indeed 1) the
only practical way to enforce the other nine; and 2) the "reboot button" for
the republic.

It is fascinating to go back and re-read the federalist/anti-federalist
arguments engaged in at the time of our founding. How far have we strayed;
and all of it so predictable. We are currently living the worst fears of
those who opposed a strong central government. Many of the checks and
balances have been tossed, one by one, over the gunwales in order to address
one "unfairness" or the other over the years.

Liberty for Security and all that.

Anyhow, this is not a political forum (gee- sure looks like one) so I'll let
everyone else have the last word.

As if that would stop 'em . . .

Steve Swartz

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message , Leslie Swartz
writes
The good news is most of you radical assholes, being anti-RKBA, will roll

up
pretty quickly.

Am I a "radical asshole"? I'm a "gun nut" by UK standards.

Steve, just to clarify, are you advocating the deliberate murder of
anyone who disagrees with your opinion? I'd definitely think that the
Founding Fathers didn't envisage an Argentinean-style "dirty war"
against their own people when they drafted the Constitution.

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2

Old June 24th 04, 11:27 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:46:22 +0100, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

In message , Ed Rasimus
writes

Any questions?

Yes, but they're quibbles rather than arguments. I'd argue details of
many of those statements while agreeing with them overall.

But, then you've proven yourself to be a rational individual who
offers greater depth to the discussion than simple name calling or
sloganeering.

As I regularly tell students, political questions are complex and
nuanced. They usually exhibit two opposing positions with deeply held
convictions. The hard part is to rise above the pig-wrestling and
listen to the other side's argument, demand that both sides offer fact
and reason, then make objective rather than subjective choices.

Ain't easy.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old June 24th 04, 11:28 PM
WalterM140

I've got an SSM and five DFC's, but no PH.

George Bush has neither SSM, DFC or PH.

In fact, his chronolgical record of service has a 16 month gap.

-He- has no right to denigrate the service of a highly decorated WIA veteran
like Senator Kerry, or to have his surrogates do it.

Walt
Old June 24th 04, 11:30 PM
B2431

From: "Leslie Swartz"

1) I am most certainly not calling names (Comrade Art is an appropriate
appellation for him; as a Leninite, he should not be ashamed to be what he
is)

If you don't see that as name calling then I won't press the point.

2) As far as "and such" if you let me know exactly what "and such" is, I'll
respond

The "and such" consists of constantly knocking others like Art because you
disagree with them. It IS possible to hold a debate without being abrasive.

3) The value of my argument should stand alone; oh sorry, I forgot- the
value of a position in this forum is based entirely on pedigree. O.k., I
enlisted in 1978 and am just now cashing it in. I have been in the
newsgroup since 1990 and you could google me up quickly enough.

Your "argument" does stand alone in that it is non constructive and abusive.
The only reason I asked what you have done for your country is because you
offer no solutions. I never said you had to be in the military, there are other
ways to serve.

4) My constructive comment had to do with Art's content-free reply. Are
you attempting to now counter-argue that I was unfair- do you want to claim
that Comrade Art's one liner about "Bush destroyintg the Constitution"
actually had some value?

That wasn't constructive. If you think Art is wrong about that then try to
engage in dialogue. Telling someone they are wrong at the onset of a discussion
along with name calling closes the door. Art and I disagree politically on many
things, but I have never resorted to insults with him.

If so, have at it. If not, why waste the bandwidth.

A little respect goes a long way.

Have a nice day.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired.

Steve Swartz

From: "Leslie Swartz"

So we had to wade through all of that for that little gem, Comrade Art?

Do
a little reading, sport. Start with any report on Waco if you want to

talk
about civil liberties under administration n vs. n-1.

Steve Swartz

OK, steve, I see you calling names and such. Do you have anything

constructive
to offer?

What have YOU done for your country?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old June 25th 04, 02:02 AM
Pete

"WalterM140" wrote in message
I've got an SSM and five DFC's, but no PH.

George Bush has neither SSM, DFC or PH.

In fact, his chronolgical record of service has a 16 month gap.

-He- has no right to denigrate the service of a highly decorated WIA

veteran
like Senator Kerry, or to have his surrogates do it.

Is he still "highly decorated" if he threw his awards away?

Pete

Old June 25th 04, 02:55 AM
WalterM140

OK, Art. Put up. What part of the Constitution is no longer intact?

Article One.

Commentary on the News Hour last night indicated that since the
Congress is charged with regulation of the armed forces, Bush usurped
that power by trying to dictate how prisoners would be treated.
Ooops.

What part of Commander-in-Chief escapes you?

What part of separation of powers escapes you?

The founding fathers were very concerned about usurpation of power by the
executive branch.

Bush has usurped the Constitution and he has to go.

Walt
Old June 25th 04, 02:58 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"WalterM140" wrote in message

What part of separation of powers escapes you?

The founding fathers were very concerned about usurpation of power by the
executive branch.

Bush has usurped the Constitution and he has to go.

Please. The last thing the left wants is Constitutional government.

Old June 25th 04, 03:00 AM
WalterM140

What part of Commander-in-Chief escapes you? Pick up a book on
Constitutional Law and you'll find that the "regulation of the armed
forces" applies to how the members of the force shall be governed and
treated. This is handled through the Uniform Code of Military Justice,
which is still in force.

This was also discussed by the panel last night on the News Hour.

What the Bush administration wanted was a direct violation of the UCMJ, under
the article covering assault. I don't have a copy of the UCMJ. I believe they
said it was Art. 77.

These legal experts all agreed that they had never seen anything like this
before. One of them said he "almost fell out of his chair" when reading these
documents recently released.

DO note that these actions of the lawyers in the executive branch so incensed
lawyers in the JAG office that they went outside the government and reported
these activities to outsiders, I believe in the New York Bar Association.

Ed, you need to wake up.

Walt