Very nice flight this morning

Old December 6th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default Very nice flight this morning

I got off a little later than expected due to
an unexpected frost, but the sun soon melted
that away and I was off. To me you can't beat
flying in the winter cause the cabin is comfortable,
the pressure is up, and the sky colors of this
time of year are incomparable. It was a scarlet
sunrise and I soon settled into a layer smooth
as glass. The light glittering off the lake was
absolutely beautiful. Trimmed out to hands-
free, there was no better way to spend the
morning. Finally after a couple of hours, I
remembered a place with buttermilk bisquits
and it took on importance, so I brought her
down, though it seemed like she landed
herself.

I'm thinking maybe tommorrow we should all
celebrate Pearl Harbor Day and enjoy the freedom
we have...that didn't come for free.

Living in America,
---
Mark
Old December 6th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Dec 6, 11:54*am, Mark wrote:
[...]

There was a bad frost at KBED a long time ago when I training for my
private, long before first solo. My instructor and I went to the Piper
140 -- windows were coated with frost. He suggested we turn the
airplane to the east so the sun would work its magic. As we were
moving it, another instructor walked by, saw what we were doing, and
asked "Hey, moving it closer to the sun?". We were of course doing
that, but I think the difference in the inverse square of the distance
to the sun mattered less than the change in cosine of the angle of
incidence. But what did I know, beitng a student pilot?

I would expect that instructor would put to shame the spammers on this
site: he had an overpowering intellect AND a sense of humor. Oh, and
he was a real pilot too. He would not be a "Loser On Line".
Old December 6th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Dec 6, 12:12*pm, a wrote:
On Dec 6, 11:54*am, Mark wrote:

[...]

he was a real pilot too. He would not be a "Loser On Line".- Hide quoted text -

Funny that you should mention turning the plane,
cause that's just what we did. Also, it so happens
that this 172 is painted black which speeds up the
process exponentially.

While waiting a German fellow brought his immaculate LSA
Sportcruiser out. What a beauty with that plush interior, blue
tinted bubble and graceful lines. I felt lucky just to touch it,
but when he offered to let me fly it with him, or, take it up
with our CFI mutual friend, I was blown away.

As he taxied away and I headed back to the plane,
I also had to stop and watch the scarlett sunrise
with a fellow in a new Cirrus SR-22. He was having a
very good morning and we chatted about his ride
too. He was very encouraging, heh, and told me I
could get one like his for about.."six and a half".
Thats $650,000.00 Seems like too many zeros,
even for me.

That Arion Lightning is looking better and better!

Yeah, loser on line is following me around sniffing
my bicycle seat. I guess he thinks I read his posts.
Not even. haaa I'm sure your instructor was a cool
dude.

--
Mark

Old December 6th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.writing,alt.religion.kibology,sci.physics.relativity
Jeffrey Bloss

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:48:06 -0800 (PST), Mark wrote:

As he taxied away and I headed back to the plane,
I also had to stop and watch the scarlett sunrise
with a fellow in a new Cirrus SR-22. He was having a
very good morning and we chatted about his ride
too. He was very encouraging, heh, and told me I
could get one like his for about.."six and a half".
Thats $650,000.00 Seems like too many zeros,
*even for a rich guy like me*.

Even for you?

LOL

Oh I forgot a Markiesm.

Claims To Be Uber-Wealthy - "It's only $500,000 dollars..."~misc.writing
--
_?_ Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
(@ @) Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old December 6th 09, 08:38 PM posted to misc.writing,alt.religion.kibology,rec.aviation.piloting,sci.physics.relativity
Jeffrey Bloss

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:12:24 -0800 (PST), a wrote:

Living in America,
---
Mark

There was a bad frost at KBED

You two are perfect "a", Mark(ie) is a freak and you're a gun toting
cretin. Enjoy!
Old December 6th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.writing,alt.religion.kibology,alt.slack,sci.physics.relativity
Toilet Peppermint Wonderland

Default This thread is now about Pee Pee Township.

Pee Pee Township is one of the fourteen townships of Pike County,
Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 7,776 people in the
township, including 4,433 people in the village of Waverly, and 3,343
in the unincorporated portions of the township.[3]

Fore more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pee_Pee...e_County,_Ohio
Old December 6th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
a wrote:

There was a bad frost at KBED a long time ago when I training for my
private, long before first solo. My instructor and I went to the Piper
140 -- windows were coated with frost. He suggested we turn the
airplane to the east so the sun would work its magic. As we were
moving it, another instructor walked by, saw what we were doing, and
asked "Hey, moving it closer to the sun?". We were of course doing
that, but I think the difference in the inverse square of the distance
to the sun mattered less than the change in cosine of the angle of
incidence. But what did I know, beitng a student pilot?

I would expect that instructor would put to shame the spammers on this
site: he had an overpowering intellect AND a sense of humor. Oh, and
he was a real pilot too. He would not be a "Loser On Line".

Reminds me of my first visit to the local wave camp three years ago.
Showed up really early in the morning, got the club two-seater (which we
had trailered over from our usual airport) out of the hangar, prepped it
for flight, and then let it sit out in the sun to clear the frost from
the wings.

As we're standing around talking and waiting, my instructor, who was
once head of the Navy Test Pilot School, turns to a younger club
instructor who I think had no non-glider experience and asks, "How much
frost on the wings starts to worry you?"

The younger instructor gave him an interesting look, and replied, "ANY
frost on the wings worries me...."

We waited for it all to sublime, then had a nice flight. And I learned
an interesting lesson on the different attitudes people can take. (And
I'm not saying either one was necessarily wrong, it's just interesting
how different the attitudes were and how clearly they were shaped by
their respective past experiences.)

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old December 6th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Dec 7, 8:47*am, Mike Ash wrote:
In article
,

*a wrote:
[...]

Great big smilie...
I have a feeling that frost on the wings of a jet fighter wouldn't
have the same result as on the wings of a sailplane or even a Club
training machine.
Of course I'd like to be offered the chance to fly one of those there
fighters to see if I'm right. :-)
Old December 6th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Dec 6, 2:59*pm, george wrote:
On Dec 7, 8:47*am, Mike Ash wrote:

In article
,

*a wrote:
[...]

I have not taken off with frost on the wings, but have gotten into
icing conditions a couple of times. The airplane continued to fly well
enough, but looking at that stuff grow on the leading edges was not
fun. I would not want to have to land with any ice on the laminar flow
wings on my airplane, I have no idea when they'll stop flying! Now
having enough thrust to carry the stuff is a different story.

Mike's glider with its 40 something to 1 glide slope would not need
much horsepower to keep it aloft, but I'd bet dew around the
stagnation point on the wings would have a bad effect.

Old December 7th 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
a wrote:

[...]

Certainly the thrust-to-weight ratio is a bit higher on the fighter.

I've never flown with frost on the wings (have flown through snow a
couple of times though, always entertaining) but I have flown through
rain and gotten the wings wet. Noticeably detracts from performance (and
it's amazing how much water stays on there), but add airspeed to
compensate and it's ok.

I had this happen on my checkride, actually. Didn't notice too much on
the wings, but we were flying around and suddenly I realized that we
were doing 50+kts and I had the stick at the back stop. (Normally it
should slow to under 40!) After some head scratching and worry, I
realized that the horizontal stabilizer was also wet, and the water was
destroying its performance. I shoved the trim all the way forward to put
the trim tab up and give me more authority, and all was well.

I imagine that light frost would be less destructive to performance than
rain, and so I wouldn't worry about it too much. On the other hand,
what's the harm in waiting for it to go away?

I should mention that the former test pilot has an enormous amount of
glider experience as well (he does about 1/3rd of all instruction in my
glider club, even though we have over a dozen instructors), and he
certainly knows what he's doing there, it's just that his overall
attitude to flying is a bit less nitpicky and a bit more cavalier than
the average instructor's.

Mike's glider with its 40 something to 1 glide slope would not need
much horsepower to keep it aloft, but I'd bet dew around the
stagnation point on the wings would have a bad effect.

I've only experienced wet wings in one glider (one of the club
two-seaters) but I've read some things about it, and the most striking
thing is how differently different airfoils will respond to being wet.
Apparently my type deals fairly well with it, but other gliders with
similar performance in normal flying can experience a drastic reduction
in performance after passing through rain. Aerodynamics is mysterious to
me....

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth