Alternative to the Boom Beam?

Old March 18th 04, 05:16 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Alternative to the Boom Beam?

Is there one?

I would like a brighter landing light -- but I ain't paying $800 for it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 18th 04, 05:49 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
Is there one?

I would like a brighter landing light -- but I ain't paying $800 for it!

Replace the standard GE 4509 with a Q4509 (Quarts Halogen). They're
usually about $25, instead of $10.

--- Jay

--

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old March 18th 04, 06:06 PM
Mike Rapoport

You could install the Xevision system under a 337.
http://www.xevision.com/

Mike
MU-2

Old March 18th 04, 06:31 PM
Jay Honeck

You could install the Xevision system under a 337.
http://www.xevision.com/

There stuff looks great, but any idea on prices? The website only says
"call for pricing"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 18th 04, 06:32 PM
Jay Honeck

Replace the standard GE 4509 with a Q4509 (Quarts Halogen). They're
usually about $25, instead of $10.

I haven't run anything but Q4509s since '98.

They're better, and last longer -- but they still suck.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 18th 04, 06:39 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Masino wrote:

Replace the standard GE 4509 with a Q4509 (Quarts Halogen).

If you do this, be aware that the beam will reach further, but it will not be
as wide. Some people have problems with this. I put the halogen in my Maule and
don't like them much at all. They're great on short final, but don't illuminate
anything useful much once the tail's down.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.

Old March 18th 04, 08:09 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
Replace the standard GE 4509 with a Q4509 (Quarts Halogen). They're
usually about $25, instead of $10.

I haven't run anything but Q4509s since '98.
They're better, and last longer -- but they still suck.

I guess you could always install some of those landing lights that mount
in the leading edges of the wings. It's a shame that 235's can't use the
ones that mount in the wingtips. I'm sure someone must make a kit for the
Cherokees.

--- Jay

--

__!__
Old March 18th 04, 08:15 PM
MC

Mike Rapoport wrote:

$500 to $550.

Mike
MU-2

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
You could install the Xevision system under a 337.
http://www.xevision.com/

There stuff looks great, but any idea on prices? The website only says
"call for pricing"...

Don't forget to measure the cable-run distance from where you can
install the ballast to where the light will be. If you don't tell
them that length you'll get a too-short cable.
Old March 19th 04, 12:15 AM
Javier Henderson

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Is there one?

I would like a brighter landing light -- but I ain't paying $800 for it!

Yep, the RMD HID kit, half the price, STC'd for your Cherokee.

http://www.rmdaircraft.com/

Bob DeBorde (RMD) had the patience of a german elf answering all of
my questions before I finally bought the kits for my Skylane.

They work great, and they are super bright. Very pleased with the product
and the service.

-jav