So it was Graves

Old August 31st 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
cjcampbell

Default So it was Graves

To whomever suggested that my atrial fibrillation might be a sign of a
thyroid condition, thanks. As it turned out, it is Graves disease,
something that the FAA can work with.

One symptom of Graves is increased irritability which, thankfully, has
not been bothering me. Seems to bother everybody else, though. :-)

It also can cause you to lose weight (unfortunately, in my case, I am
experiencing a very rare weight gain -- and will probably gain weight
again in a couple months as the disease is brought under control). At
least my eyes don't bug out like Marty Feldman's (he had Graves). Good
thing, too, or it could cause double vision. It does make me very
sensitive to heat, something which was bothering me a great deal in
the Philippines.

Indications are that the condition is probably not permanent and might
even go away on its own.

Old August 31st 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Aug 31, 8:48 am, cjcampbell
wrote:
To whomever suggested that my atrial fibrillation might be a sign of a
thyroid condition, thanks. As it turned out, it is Graves disease,
something that the FAA can work with.

One symptom of Graves is increased irritability which, thankfully, has
not been bothering me. Seems to bother everybody else, though. :-)

It also can cause you to lose weight (unfortunately, in my case, I am
experiencing a very rare weight gain -- and will probably gain weight
again in a couple months as the disease is brought under control). At
least my eyes don't bug out like Marty Feldman's (he had Graves). Good
thing, too, or it could cause double vision. It does make me very
sensitive to heat, something which was bothering me a great deal in
the Philippines.

Indications are that the condition is probably not permanent and might
even go away on its own.

CJ,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Be sure to eat healthy, that
never hurts. Will you be able to keep flying? Is having the FAA
"work with it" mean you won't lose your medical?

Watch out for the Broncos! They are coming your way after warming up
with a 56-7 win over Weber State. The score would have been higher,
but the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players all got lots of time in the
second half (it was 49-0 at the end of the 1st half).

Dean

Old September 1st 07, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
cjcampbell

On Aug 31, 12:50 pm, wrote:
On Aug 31, 8:48 am, cjcampbell
wrote:

[...]

Yeah. But I might have to take a stress test and EKG for a few years.

Watch out for the Broncos! They are coming your way after warming up
with a 56-7 win over Weber State. The score would have been higher,
but the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players all got lots of time in the
second half (it was 49-0 at the end of the 1st half).

Dean

So, what. They finally lent Weber a few players so they could get on
the scoreboard? :-)

Old September 1st 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:48:38 -0700, cjcampbell
wrote in
. com:

To whomever suggested that my atrial fibrillation might be a sign of a
thyroid condition, thanks. As it turned out, it is Graves disease,
something that the FAA can work with.

According to the "Thyroid misdiagnosed as mental disorder" message
thread in alt.support.thyroid, Graves is capable of precipitating
other symptoms.
Old September 1st 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
[email protected][_2_]

To whomever suggested that my atrial fibrillation might be a sign of a
thyroid condition, thanks. As it turned out, it is Graves disease,
something that the FAA can work with.

According to the "Thyroid misdiagnosed as mental disorder" message
thread in alt.support.thyroid, Graves is capable of precipitating
other symptoms.

Checking a TSH is pretty standard emergency medicine care for both new
onset a. fib, as well as suspected depression, bipolar symptoms,
suicidal ideations, etc. There's more to it than just a TSH, but that
is the test we can get 24/7.

-Ryan in Madison
(who's real job deals with this stuff everyday)

Old September 1st 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
cjcampbell

On Sep 1, 7:01 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:48:38 -0700, cjcampbell
wrote in
. com:

To whomever suggested that my atrial fibrillation might be a sign of a
thyroid condition, thanks. As it turned out, it is Graves disease,
something that the FAA can work with.

According to the "Thyroid misdiagnosed as mental disorder" message
thread in alt.support.thyroid, Graves is capable of precipitating
other symptoms.

Yeah. Some of them can kill you, apparently. They ran a pretty
thorough set of tests. Mine is considered to be 'mild.' I would hate
to see what a serious case is like.

Old September 1st 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Boyle

cjcampbell wrote:
On Sep 1, 7:01 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:48:38 -0700, cjcampbell
wrote in
. com:

To whomever suggested that my atrial fibrillation might be a sign of a
thyroid condition, thanks. As it turned out, it is Graves disease,
something that the FAA can work with.

According to the "Thyroid misdiagnosed as mental disorder" message
thread in alt.support.thyroid, Graves is capable of precipitating
other symptoms.

Yeah. Some of them can kill you, apparently. They ran a pretty
thorough set of tests. Mine is considered to be 'mild.' I would hate
to see what a serious case is like.

To Mr. Campbell: Congratulations on your health not being as bad as
first thought! Keep on Flying!
Old September 1st 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck

Indications are that the condition is probably not permanent and might
even go away on its own.

Glad to hear it CJ.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 2nd 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
cjcampbell

On Sep 1, 10:09 pm, Richard Riley wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:32:58 -0700, cjcampbell

wrote:
On Sep 1, 7:01 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:48:38 -0700, cjcampbell
wrote in
. com:

To whomever suggested that my atrial fibrillation might be a sign of a
thyroid condition, thanks. As it turned out, it is Graves disease,
something that the FAA can work with.

According to the "Thyroid misdiagnosed as mental disorder" message
thread in alt.support.thyroid, Graves is capable of precipitating
other symptoms.

Yeah. Some of them can kill you, apparently. They ran a pretty
thorough set of tests. Mine is considered to be 'mild.' I would hate
to see what a serious case is like.

http://vodkapundit.com/archives/008895.php

Yeah, I can relate to a lot of that, except for the weight loss. The
appetite, though -- that sure is annoying. As is the muscle loss.

Still, it is not as if it incapacitated me. The treatment does leave
me short of breath and aggravates my asthma, but it is not severe
enough to force me to use an inhaler -- I just cough a little more.
The most dangerous thing is the medication can cause you to suddenly
stop producing white blood cells, which makes even a sore throat or a
cold a medical emergency. Fortunately, that side effect is extremely
rare.

I don't know what test he took where 180 was considered 'normal.' I do
know that some of my tests were either 'indeterminate' or just barely
hyperthyroid, while others were way off the chart. The working theory
is that either it is trying to cure itself or the thyroid might be
transitioning to a hypothyroid state. There are so many weird things
they really don't seem to know, like what causes it in the first place.