ideas for fun contests at fly-ins

Old April 22nd 04, 11:18 PM
Hoot

Default ideas for fun contests at fly-ins

I'm organizing a fly-in coming up in a few months and would like to have
some fun activities or contests. So far we're thinking about a spot
landing contest for arrivals and a precision flour bombing contest during
departures. Pilots can win prizes like a GPS or new headset or something.
Also planning on door prizes like shirts, case of oil, etc. Of course we'll
be serving food too.

Does anybody have ideas for contests or other things to draw in participants
? Anything you've seen at a previous fly-in you thought was cool ?

Old April 23rd 04, 03:16 PM
Toks Desalu

If your airport is close to highway, I highly recommend you to forget about
precision flour bombing. I heard a story about a pilot who was completely
clueless with basic physics law and he ended up bombing on a moving car on
highway. I am sure the driver, who got 'bombed', wasn't happy.

Old April 23rd 04, 11:54 PM
gatt

"Hoot" wrote in message news:uwXhc.16168

So far we're thinking about a spot
landing contest for arrivals and a precision flour bombing contest during
departures.

They had one of these when I was flying into Tillamook, Oregon one time
where, coincidentally, the FBO was having a fly-in. Somebody had a Corsair.
Mighta been Jack, or the Evergreen bird. Dialed up the Unicom and heard
"Tillamook area traffic, Corsair starting my bombing run." I had never
heard of flour-bombing contests so I really didn't believe my own ears.

You definately don't hear that everyday. It looked like a lot of fun.

-c

Old April 25th 04, 07:18 PM
Dave Fase

We've been hosting an "auction table" during our local fly-in. Sales
of donated items benefit a Flight scholarship that we sponsor.
Donations often move from one flier's basement or garage to another's,
but what the hey... don't have to look at your own junk again for a
while!

Aloha, Dave

Old April 25th 04, 07:55 PM
Newps

"Hoot" wrote in message

Does anybody have ideas for contests or other things to draw in

participants
? Anything you've seen at a previous fly-in you thought was cool ?

Toilet paper cutting.
Balloon busting.(Extra points for bringing the balloon back with you)
Flour bombing.
Bowling ball bombing.(Girlie low wingers need not apply)

Old April 25th 04, 09:26 PM
Big John

Hoot

Free beer is always a blast.

Big John

Old April 25th 04, 09:36 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Newps" wrote in message

Toilet paper cutting.
Balloon busting.(Extra points for bringing the balloon back with you)
Flour bombing.
Bowling ball bombing.(Girlie low wingers need not apply)

I can just see someone taking out one of the landing gear!! snicker

Old April 25th 04, 11:57 PM
John Gaquin

"Hoot" wrote in message news:uwXhc.16168

..... So far we're thinking about a spot
landing contest for arrivals

Be sure to exclude CFIs based at the event airport!! bg Locals get way
to familiar with all the little details. When I was teaching, the
instructors all used to challenge each other to place a main in either the
upper or lower circle of the 8 on runway 08. And you can do it, too, with
consistency, when you're familiar enough.

JG

Old April 26th 04, 05:45 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Newps wrote:
Bowling ball bombing.(Girlie low wingers need not apply)

What, I can't just reach out the pilot vent window and hold it in
place on the wing root until I let it roll off??

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 30th 04, 10:58 AM
Roger Hamlett

"Newps" wrote in message

"Hoot" wrote in message

Does anybody have ideas for contests or other things to draw in

participants
? Anything you've seen at a previous fly-in you thought was cool ?

Toilet paper cutting.
Balloon busting.(Extra points for bringing the balloon back with you)
Flour bombing.
Bowling ball bombing.(Girlie low wingers need not apply)

Treasure hunt.
Spot landing competition.

I must admit to having spent ages working out the ballistic coefficient of a
flour bag, and designing electric 'releases' for the bag... :-)

I have seen an Aeronca, firing small rockets using the Estes motors, from
it's wing struts, but the 'danger coefficient' of this seemed a little high
(but very fun!).

Best Wishes