What Used Plane For First Time Purchase?

Old June 14th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
CareBear

Default What Used Plane For First Time Purchase?

All:

I am still pondering whether to buy an airplane or continue renting.
Renting presents a few problems: availability being the main one. I
mentioned in a previous post that there was an opportunity to buy a 1980
Beech Sundowner but since then the owner decided not to sell (thanks B A R R
Y for the write-up). Here are my thoughts on what I "think" I want to
purchase should it be decided to go that route.

I would prefer a plane that had from 180 to 200hp (not ready for complex or
retract yet). High wing or low wing doesn't really matter (I trained in a
Cessna 152). I will be getting checked out in the Cessna 172 real soon. I
plan on using the plane to get IFR certified and keep it 2-4 years.

Mission....I plan on making several local (less than 50nm) and at least 5 xc
flights (from 100 to 500nm) per year. I will have the wife and a couple of
grandchildren (small in size). Definitely need at least 4 seats. The more
roomier the better.

I don't know what brand or model is the safest, best to buy, easiest to
handle, less troublesome, etc. One guy told me to get a Cessna 172 only for
the 1976 to 1979 models. He didn't offer an explanation as to why only
these models. Another guy said get a Piper Warrior.

Frankly, I don't know what to get. As a new pilot (80-100hrs) I am not all
familiar with the world of airplanes, so therefore I solicit your advice and
opinions.

Almost forgot...would be willing to spend up to $70,000 on the right plane.

Thanks,

--
CareBear

Old June 14th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Carebear... sounds like a nice well cared for 172 would fit
your mission. Forget about the year (obviously the newer the better)
just make sure its been well cared for and flown and the avionics
are fairly new and good shape and its been upgraded and so
forth. So don't necessarily be looking for the lowest hours, but
you don't want want that's been used as a trainer either.
You might also consider some sort of Piper Cherokee, although
I think the fixed gear ones are ugly, but they are good planes.

I would not go with a slowdowner, stick with something
mainstream. If you could find a good 180 HP Skyhawk that
would probably be your best bet.

When you start doing regular trips of 500Nm or more you are
going to want something faster.... pluggin along at 110 knots
gets old after a while.

Old June 14th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Jun 13, 7:48 pm, "CareBear" wrote:
[...]

In that price range, a 172 or an Archer might be the best bet. Take a
look at aso.com or controller.com

Old June 14th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A 172 might do very well for a while, including instrument training.
For actual instrument flight though, the airplane's range and speed
are a serious limitation.

One of the Piker fixed gears would work well too. One door gets to be
a limitation if you're going to be carrying many people. I owned a
Mooney, great airplane, great instrument platform, but checking fuel
and climbing aboard in rain is not fun.

Look at the C172 PA 180 classes, you won't go very far wrong with
either.

Old June 14th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jun 13, 6:48 pm, "CareBear" wrote:
[...]

Hello:

You have gotten pretty good suggestions so far...all things equal
where I would send you is to either the Skylane or a 180 HP Cardinal.

OK yousaid you were not ready for complex...but a constant speed prop
is not all that difficult to master; it is a tad more expensive to
maintain, but if you buy one in good shape, not that much.

The CSP will change your entire outlook on performance and with the
Skylane or 180HP cardinal you move into an entirely better performing
airplane. My experience with airplanes has mimiced my parents. Dad
had two kids then a baby (so three but the younest came latter) and
while the 172 was quite affordable and would get the job done, the
load dissapeared rapidly and performance was "adequate" but on a hot
day ...less.

The 182 and Cardinal are fine flying instrument planes, hold their
resale quite well and both are well within your price range.

ONe cant go wrong with a 172 of course and it is a great starter. My
late wife and I thundered all over the eastern seaboard with it (from
Norfolk and then GA and PENS) but the limitations I mentioned above
were there.

Barnstormers/trade a plane...some great places. I have never known
anyone who was looking for a 172 and could afford a Cardinal/182 who
was not happy with the latter choice. The CS is triival to master
with a good instructor.

I love PIper singles but for ease of entry with kids and such plus the
view a high wing has it all over the sky. With small kids...looking
is a big deal.

Hope this helps...take your time I am sure you will make the right
decision.

Robert

Old June 14th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"CareBear" wrote:

Frankly, I don't know what to get. As a new pilot (80-100hrs) I am not all
familiar with the world of airplanes, so therefore I solicit your advice and
opinions.

Almost forgot...would be willing to spend up to $70,000 on the right plane.

180 HP 172s are a good choice for your requirements:

http://www.controller.com/listings/d... 091258848129

So are Cherokee 180s:

http://www.controller.com/listings/d... 091258848129

You might even find a nice 182 in your price range; it's a buyer's market:

http://www.controller.com/listings/d... 091258848129

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old June 14th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts

Almost forgot...would be willing to spend up to $70,000 on the right plane.

Thanks,

A 172 would be good.
A 180HP 172 would be better.

Whjatever you buy, consider the purchase price as the downpayment on the
operating costs. Better to look at those!

HTH

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old June 14th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

On Jun 13, 8:16 pm, Luke Skywalker wrote:
.. Hello:

You have gotten pretty good suggestions so far...all things equal
where I would send you is to either the Skylane or a 180 HP Cardinal.

I agree with your assessment about 180HP Cardinal. We own one in
the last 4 years. We fly between 200 to 300hrs a year with VFR locals
and IFR cross country. It handles crosswind much better than C172. I
have not compared spec but the Cardinal appear to be better at short
field landing. We love the roomy backseat with plenty of room for our
50lb dogs, camera bag, video bag, air bag etc. The cargo area is also
very spacious. We started aircamping last year. With the backseat
removed, we had no problems carrying two folding bikes, all tenting
equipment, the dog and the rest of the luggage. We also love to take
aerial pictures/videos. The strutless Cardinal is just simply the
best for this purpose.

Parts availability have never been a problem. We try to do of lot
of maintenance ourselves with lots of tips and tricks from fellow
cardinalfyers at CFO. I highly recommend checking out CFO's website

http://www.cardinalflyers.com/

Hai Longworth

Old June 14th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Grumman Tiger.

It will cruise right up there with older nonturbo arrows and nonturbo
older mooneys..

Only the tiger is fixed gear, fixed prop, and the other two are retracts.

Excellent vis. Canopy can open in flight for ventilation, as well as
full open on the ground. Only downside is when it rains and you have to
exit.

I've taken one on several cross countries.. flown 9 hours in one day..
There are several mods out there with the cowl, extended range fuel, etc.

Runner up? A Grumman Cheetah.. 30 less hp. ALmost the same plane.

Dave

Old June 14th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jun 13, 9:09 pm, Longworth wrote:
[...]

Hal.

The CArdinal (180hp) is in my view one of the best deals going in
aviation right now. It is a buyers market but there are great deals
on the bird because in no small measure it still carries some of the
"angst" from its inception....which was all about instructors not
knowing how to instruct in an airplane that didnt have a seperate
elevator from the stabilizer!

The airplane has all the advantages you mention..I know a bunch of
folks who use it for aerial photography, including one chum who does a
land office business photographing sites for sale in East Texas.

I fell in love with one when I was in College because it was the IFR
trainer for the club and I got a lot of time in it then. It was also
a fun X country plane particularly to take ones date out on a picnic.
The panel is nicely laid out etc.

I have done some prepurchase flights for a bunch of them over the last
10 years and have not seen a dissapointed buyer yet. If I didnt ahve
the 175 I would be looking for one!

The CFO site is great...I poke there a lot.

Robert