Sectional charts and See You

Old July 1st 13, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Mueller

Default Sectional charts and See You

Does anyone have experience with getting Sectional charts to be
read on the new version of See You? I could use any advice. I went
to the See You forums already but I haven't seen the info I am
looking for. Can anyone offer assistance? You can email me at the
address above if you care to contact me personally. Thank You. D

Old July 1st 13, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Hello Doug,

You can get the charts themselves (in CMR format) on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info. Select the "Sectionals" tab, and download the CMR files containing the charts you want. Install them by selecting (in SeeYou) the Tools-Raster Maps menu, and then pressing the Add button.

You can contact me with additional assistance by using the Webmaster link on my website.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Old July 1st 13, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Geesh Doug, they're not on your company supplied iPad?
8-)
Old July 1st 13, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Doug,

A little short of your goal with see you but check out the mobile app foreflight. Exceptional chart based navigation for iOS and Android.

Why SeeYou does not run on these devices remains quite an interesting discussion topic.

Speaking of that...

Sean
F2
Old July 7th 13, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Mueller

At 08:52 01 July 2013, wrote:
Geesh Doug, they're not on your company supplied iPad?
8-)

Now that is funny. Better get that Ventus flying. Last I heard its still
for sale. D

Old July 7th 13, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, July 1, 2013 4:26:30 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Doug,

A little short of your goal with see you but check out the mobile app foreflight. Exceptional chart based navigation for iOS and Android.

Why SeeYou does not run on these devices remains quite an interesting discussion topic.

Speaking of that...

Sean

F2

Not sure about Android, but iOS has user minimum interface standards that must be adhered to. SeeYou would have to be redesigned *wholesale* to comply with any minimum user interface standard. In the mean time, you can use iGlide.
Old July 8th 13, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

In all honesty and my personal opinion, SeeYou's mobile "program" has been exactly the same for nearly a decade. It could use some serious usability and graphics improvements! It could use a completely new user interface!

For example, how many clicks does it take to change a data field in SeeYou vs. say....XC Soar? Something like 10 stylus clicks for SeeYou and a touch hold and a click with your fingertip for XCSoar.

Does SeeYou utilize touch screens well? Not really. SeeYou, in its defense, was designed for Windows mobile which no longer exists and is no longer supported by Microsoft. The Windows mobile user interface was built around the "stylus," not a true modern high resolution touch screen as is standard on today's devices. Etc, etc. Stylus's are a pain in the bottom in a glider while flying.

Adhering to Apples interface standards for iOS apps might not be a bad thing at all for Naviteer...;-)! It would likely force a far better user interface. But yes it would take effort to deliver a new UI from the Naviteer people.

I also think the iPad mini is a perfect platform for SeeYou and all of these Soaring mobile apps. SeeYou on an iPad mini would be incredible. SeeYou on a Galaxy Note 3 or similar Android Phone would be excellent as well (what I run XC Soar on today).

You can always keep the legacy software available for those who dont like change. ;-).

Naviteer could offer its customers the best of both worlds. A new modern mobile version and the "classic" Oudie.

All of this software (SeeYou, ClearNAV, Strepla, etc, etc), in my opinion should have an iOS and Android version...it should be purchased via Google Play or the Apple App Store, not thru dealers. This is already how iGlide and XC Soar is purchased today. Updates are automatically pushed out to the users and they are not inconvenienced when needing to update their software. Etc, etc, etc.

Sean
F2

Old July 8th 13, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Per usual Sean F is obviously right about everything that he asserts and I would be a fool to try to debate any of the points that he makes.

I would only add that the disadvantage he cites of SeeYou and CE being stable and unchanged is simultaneously SeeYou's unique advantage.

Every time a program or operating system is changed, new defects are introduced, and all previous testing of the system, and the confidence engendered by that testing, should be discounted. People that use programs may not understand this, but the people that make programs certainly do.

The fact that SeeYou has been used for years, by many pilots, in many scenarios counts for something. It further suggests that SeeYou is usable and useful.

I agree with Sean that touchscreens are nice, but my arms are not long enough, nor steady enough to use them in a sailplane. I suppose I could hook up a trackball to an Ipad Mini?
Old July 8th 13, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, July 8, 2013 7:10:12 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
[...]

And yet, SeeYou requires the use of a touch screen in the worst possible way - tiny little buttons, often keyboard entry, scroll bars on the side a fraction of a finger width wide, etc.; nearly impossible even sitting in an easy chair at home on the coarse Oudie/Avier/V2 touch panel. At least XCSoar made the buttons large enough for an adult finger to hit. These are like bad Windows 3.1 apps.

You should try iGlide. The interface is slicker than runny snot, honestly decades ahead of all the others. I would like them to put an iGlide Demo version on the app store for free, as I think a lot of people are not willing to risk the money to try it. A demo version than only did the simulator that was free would get a lot of people hooked, I think.