Joystick Adapter

Old September 20th 05, 05:16 AM
Zomby Woof

Default Joystick Adapter

Is there such an item as an adapter that would mate a Thrustmaster "Top Gun"
joystick with the old-fashioned 15-pin doo-hickey to a USB port?

Would such a connection even work?

And if so, where could one find such an item to make such a connection?

ARRGH!

Warmest Regards,

ZW

Old September 20th 05, 08:17 AM
Peter Duniho

"Zomby Woof" wrote in message
Is there such an item as an adapter that would mate a Thrustmaster "Top
Gun" joystick with the old-fashioned 15-pin doo-hickey to a USB port?

Would such a connection even work?

And if so, where could one find such an item to make such a connection?

They were certainly available in the past. Google is your friend. Search
for "gameport USB adapter".

Keep in mind that the adapters I've seen only support basic joystick
operation. In particular, force-feedback doesn't work (for those joysticks
so-equipped).

Pete

Old September 20th 05, 03:11 PM
FatKat

Like Peter Duniho said, these adapters will only translate the basic
functions, so getting the most out of a TG is unlikely. Your best bet
would be to get USB or, if you've already invested in gameport
controls, buy a cheap soundcard that comes with a gameport. I have a
Turle Bay card added on and it doesn't conflict with my Dimension's
on-board sound (thank heaven for small miracles) so I can use my
FCS/WCS/CH Pedals. Either can be had relatively cheaply on E*Bay.
BTW, those USB adapaters that claim to have multiple gameport jacks - I
tried one and it was a total washout.

Old September 21st 05, 05:31 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanks, everyone...