DG AD Note - Just Inspect or Must Fix?

Old February 15th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default DG AD Note - Just Inspect or Must Fix?

I decided to start a new thread on this topic as my question is more
specific.

In the DG technical note (TN301/23, 323/14, 359/21 or 826/44) it
provides three solutions (paraphrased below):

1) Inspect the bearing and if all is ok, leave it alone.
2) If the bearing is loose, peen it over to hold it in place or
3) Replace the mount altogether.

However the FAA Airworthiness Directive 2006-2-12 states (quoted
verbatum), "This AD requires you to modify or replace the complete
rudder mount assembly and ensure that the securing washer, castellated
nut, and new split pins are installed."

This means to me that #1 is no longer an option (inspect and fly if OK)
even though the FAA AD specifically references the DG TN. What are
your thoughts?

Thanks, John

Old February 15th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John,

"modify or replace", the key words!!! Per the original technical note:
a visual inspection with no follow up action (if no trouble was found)
was the first possibility. The FAA wants you to take action by peening
the bearing in place, (no big deal) or replace the mount (which will
most likely have the bearing peened in place) same result, more $$$.
Regardless of what you do they want to confirm the proper hardward is
in place. (washer, castellated nut and cotter key)

If it were mine, I would peen the bearing, confirm the hardware and get
back in the tow line, the cumes are just getting good.

Old February 20th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

After consulting with Tom Knauff and Burt Compton about this over the
weekend. The general opinion is that 1) probably the FAA will allow the
"inspect and fly" per the TN but just got their wording wrong and 2)
you should go ahead and repair it as then you don't need to inspect it
any longer and it looks better in the sailplane log book.

BTW: your cumes may be getting good but I live in Chicago and have a
few months to go. ;-)