timing holds

Old February 5th 05, 03:00 AM

Default timing holds

Roy Smith wrote:
What does it mean when they say you start timing the outbound leg of

a hold
"over or abeam the VOR, whichever occurs later". I'm having a hard

time
envisioning a flight path which takes you both over and abeam the

VOR. I
can see either, but not both, so I don't understand the "whichever

occurs
later" bit.
--

(11 years later)

Uhhh, this ever get answered?

I'm studying Gleim's and I don't get it!

tia,
a.

Old February 15th 05, 07:37 PM
Stan Gosnell

"arthur mcallister" wrote in news:CbrQd.218052
:

Why would anyone time a hold in this day and age?

For checkride purposes. That's the only reason I can think of. For my
ATP ride, I had to time the hold and make the inbound leg one minute. In
the real world, I would never bother.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Old February 15th 05, 09:21 PM
Jose

Why would anyone time a hold in this day and age?

To make sure that it remains part of your habits. One day you'll fly an
airplane without GPS, or the box will go TU, or for any number of
reasons you won't be able to rely on it. Stay in practice and you'll be ok.

Jose
Old February 15th 05, 09:35 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:21:32 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Why would anyone time a hold in this day and age?

To make sure that it remains part of your habits. One day you'll fly an
airplane without GPS, or the box will go TU, or for any number of
reasons you won't be able to rely on it. Stay in practice and you'll be ok.

Jose

I have to practice starting a stopwatch?

Old February 15th 05, 09:54 PM
Jose

I have to practice starting a stopwatch?

No, one should practice =remembering= to start a stopwatch.

Jose
Old February 15th 05, 10:22 PM
Roy Smith

Jose wrote:
I have to practice starting a stopwatch?

No, one should practice =remembering= to start a stopwatch.

Actually, with some of the brain-damaged UI's some digital watches
have, you really do need to practice starting it.

I actually prefer a plain sweep second hand clock in the panel (one of
those good-old 8-day windup things work just fine). Glance at the
thing when you start outbound, when the second hand gets back to the
same place, turn inbound. Correct as required for wind.