Security benefit of VFR flight plan

Old January 31st 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Security benefit of VFR flight plan

Looking at the Super Bowl restrictions I have to wonder what the value
of requiring aircraft in the outer ring be on a VFR flight plan. After
9/11 it made sense to me that the TSA didn't understand what a VFR
flight plan was, but you'd think that by now they'd have figured it
out. Will ATC verify with FSS that you opened your flight plan before
issuing your transponder code??? This isn't even a reservation system,
it doesn't say there is any pre-approval required.

-Robert, CFII

Super Bowl Flight Restrictions
Notice Number: NOTC0775

FEDERAL AVIATION DMINISTRATION

HEADQUARTERS WASHINGTON , DC

SECURITY EVENT FLIGHT ADVISORY

NOTAM Issued 12/22/06

FDC 6/9015

Super Bowl XLI

As a result of the planned National Football League Super Bowl in
Miami FL., on February 4, 2007, the FAA at the request of the
Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Defense, as
part of the airspace security measures will be establishing a
Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) in the vicinity of Dolphin Stadium.
The following restrictions will apply from 1600L to 2359L on February
4, 2007:

Inner ring restrictions : All aircraft flight operations are
prohibited from the surface up to but not including FL180 within 10
Nautical Miles (NM) of 255728N/0801419W or the FLL214008.4 except as
specified below

1. Only authorized DoD, and Federal/State/Local Law Enforcement/
Lifeguard or Medivac operations, squawking an assign discrete beacon
code, are permitted within the inner ring as coordinated.

2. Only authorized CFR Part 121 and CFR Part 129 regularly scheduled
commercial passenger, private charter and all-cargo flights that MEET
OR EXCEED the Transportation Security Administration approved Aircraft
Operator Standard Security Program (AOSSP), Domestic Security
Inspection Program (DSIP), Twelve-Five Standard Security Program
(TFSSP) all cargo, Private Charter Standard Security Program (PCSSP),
All-Cargo International Security Procedure (ACISP), or Model Security
Program (MSP) are authorized to land/depart within the inner ring.

3. No General Aviation arrival, departure or transit flights will be
authorized to operate within the inner ring of the TFR.

Outer ring restrictions : From the surface up to but not including
FL180 between 10NM and 30NM of the airspace described above. All
aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must be on an active IFR or VFR
flight plan.

1. All aircraft must be assigned a discrete beacon code by an Air
Traffic Control (ATC) facility and be squawking that code prior to
departing within or entering the TFR.

2. All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must remain in two-way
radio communication with ATC.

3. Operations between 10NM and 30NM are limited to aircraft arriving
or departing local airfields. ATC may authorize transit operations.
Aircraft may not loiter.

Aircraft Entering/Operating within the ADIZ/FRZ Without Authorization
may be Intercepted.

Special Flights or Operations not authorized ANYWHERE within this TFR

-Flight Training-Gliders-Hot Air Balloons-Animal Population Control-
Utility line/pipe inspection flights-Banner Tow-Parachute-Ultralights-
Practice Approaches-Aerobatic-Hang Gliding-Crop Dusting-Seaplanes

FOR QUESTIONS OR FURTHER DETAILS, PLEASE CONTACT FAA HEADQUARTERS AIR
TRAFFIC SYSTEMS OPERATIONS SECURITY

AT 202-267-3333.

Check the FAA website: www.faa.gov for updates on this NOTAM.

You have received this notice from FAASafety.gov because you have
selected "ATC Notices" in your preferences on your FAASafety.gov
account. Click here to log in and edit your preferences on
FAASafety.gov.

Safety is a learned behavior...Learn to be safer at the Learning
Center found on FAASafety.gov

FAASafety.gov | Email Preferences | Opt Out
Do not reply to this email as it is an unmonitored alias. Contact us
for comments or questions.

Old January 31st 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking at the Super Bowl restrictions I have to wonder what the value
of requiring aircraft in the outer ring be on a VFR flight plan. After
9/11 it made sense to me that the TSA didn't understand what a VFR
flight plan was, but you'd think that by now they'd have figured it
out. Will ATC verify with FSS that you opened your flight plan before
issuing your transponder code??? This isn't even a reservation system,
it doesn't say there is any pre-approval required.

-Robert, CFII

It is eyewash for the masses. "See, we did something to make you safe from
the little airplanes."

Old February 1st 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

We should all make up and file a VFR flight plan to the
Miami area, whether we have a trip or not, 25000 extra
flight plans should make the VFR plan security rule
obviously stupid.

What about Turner's cartoon network Boston event, think Ted
will serve some jail time for the "terrorist" plot?

Old February 1st 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

a 30nm TFR for a football game?? is the president going to be there?
that's it.. cancel the game.. that blocks 1/2 the state of Florida..
good thing they are not playing in Rhode Island

BT

Old February 1st 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

What about Turner's cartoon network Boston event, think Ted
will serve some jail time for the "terrorist" plot?

He and every one of his cronies on each management level that approved the
project best be hauled before a court.

Did I say Court?.. forget the courts.. just keel haul them.

BT

Old February 1st 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:08:22 -0800, Jim Macklin wrote
(in article ):

We should all make up and file a VFR flight plan to the
Miami area, whether we have a trip or not, 25000 extra
flight plans should make the VFR plan security rule
obviously stupid.

A fantastic idea. When they sea that the TFR does not work that way, they
will just ban air traffic completely. Good thinking.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 1st 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

a 30nm TFR for a football game?? is the president going to be there?
that's it.. cancel the game.. that blocks 1/2 the state of Florida..
good thing they are not playing in Rhode Island

I believe that FLL, HWO, and OPF are within the 10 mile no-fly ring,
and traffic to a number of other airports is disrupted.

They've also banned the practice of tail-gating in the parking areas.

It makes me feel really safe--not watching from a considerable distance.

Peter

Old February 1st 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

yes... I heard about the no tail gate rule.. can't cook your own ribs..
have to buy from the concessions... more $$ for the promoters..
BT

Old February 1st 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

What about Turner's cartoon network Boston event, think Ted
will serve some jail time for the "terrorist" plot?

Nope. His money and lawyers will buy his sorry behind out of danger.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 1st 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
We should all make up and file a VFR flight plan to the
Miami area, whether we have a trip or not, 25000 extra
flight plans should make the VFR plan security rule
obviously stupid.

What about Turner's cartoon network Boston event, think Ted
will serve some jail time for the "terrorist" plot?

I don't believe he owns it anymore.