Flying the Santa Fe Trail Story: long

Old April 8th 04, 02:51 AM
AES/newspost

Are you going to submit this to the New Yorker? You should try it
(maybe thru an agent) -- it's certainly at the quality of other pieces
I've enjoyed reading there.
Old April 8th 04, 04:19 AM
JJS

Blush... Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I wouldn't have a
clue how to begin to get published.

Joe Schneider
Cherokee 8437R

Old April 8th 04, 04:21 AM
JJS

Jay, Thanks for the encouragement.

Joe Schneider
8437R

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Well you see, there is something else to consider. The Cherokee

has
the ability to transport you BACKWARD in time as well. By flying

low
and slow we could see the evidence our great grandfathers had left
etched in the soil 150 years in the past. It is a time machine

that
provides a spectacular view that even the Great Spirit may be

envious
of.

Great story, Joe. Truer words were never spoken....

Thanks for posting it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 8th 04, 04:41 AM
G.R. Patterson III

JJS wrote:

Blush... Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I wouldn't have a
clue how to begin to get published.

1. Print the article out nicely in its entirety.
2. Select a set of magazines in which you'd like it to appear.
3. Type up a nice cover letter asking telling them you thought they might be
interested in publishing this and why. Keep it on your computer so you can
change the magazine name and address. Don't mention payment in any way. In
particular, don't tell them it's free.
4. Send the article with the cover letter to the editor of the first magazine
on your list.
5. Wait 6 weeks for a letter from them.
6. Repeat as necessary, going down through the list.

If you run out of names, make up another list. Try the non-aviation mags first.
Speaking for myself, I hope you can sell this to one of those instead of preaching to
the choir.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 8th 04, 12:13 PM
JJS

George,
Thanks a heap. Personally, I believe the story would need more
work to have a chance at publication. My editing left several
mistakes, and my wording could have been better, as I was really
pressed for time. I may pursue your suggestions on a more refined
version if... big if... I can ever find the time to do it. I
sincerely appreciate the help. I'll let you know if I decide to go
forward.

Joe Schneider
Cherokee 8437R

Old April 8th 04, 01:01 PM
Jay Honeck

Thanks a heap. Personally, I believe the story would need more
work to have a chance at publication. My editing left several
mistakes, and my wording could have been better, as I was really
pressed for time. I may pursue your suggestions on a more refined
version if... big if... I can ever find the time to do it.

Don't worry, Joe -- magazines have these creatures called "Editors" who will
destroy, er, I mean "FIX" any stylistic devices, er, I mean "PROBLEMS" they
find in your prose...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 8th 04, 03:32 PM
G.R. Patterson III

JJS wrote:

Thanks a heap. Personally, I believe the story would need more
work to have a chance at publication.

Well, I managed to get one article published about ten years ago, and I tinkered with
it for something like six months before I thought it was good enough to send out.
Take your time.

Old April 8th 04, 05:40 PM
AES/newspost

In article ,
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

JJS wrote:

Blush... Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I wouldn't have a
clue how to begin to get published.

1. Print the article out nicely in its entirety.
2. Select a set of magazines in which you'd like it to appear.

----------------rest snipped-----------------------

Or look for a literary agent who will handle it and have the requisite
professional contacts in the big name magazine world -- though as an
amateur and likely previously unpublished author, finding one who truly
knows how to help you do this kind of thing may not be easy.

Two further ideas:

--Talk to any buddies on your local newspaper (or local university
school of journalism), who just might have contacts or ideas.

--Find a fellow pilot who's employeded in publishing (or is a major
published author).

But I'm encouraged by the othersupportive responses to my original
suggestion, especially the suggestion that you don't just bury this in
some aviation hobbyist magazine. It could do a lot for GA if it were
read more widely, e.g. a New Yorker like audience.
Old April 8th 04, 11:00 PM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:40:53 -0700, AES/newspost
wrote:

But I'm encouraged by the othersupportive responses to my original
suggestion, especially the suggestion that you don't just bury this in
some aviation hobbyist magazine. It could do a lot for GA if it were
read more widely, e.g. a New Yorker like audience.

Smithsonian or Air&Space, but you'll have to do it again to get
photos.

It's a very Smithsonian article.

Mary

Old April 9th 04, 02:02 AM
JJS

For some reason I'm apparently not getting near all the messages in
this thread from my server so please forgive me if any of you
commented good or bad and think I am ignoring you.

Mary, we did take pictures, but me being a total amateur with poor
equipment, they did not turn out very well. The photo's that do
plainly show the wagon ruts have flaws such as window glare. The
Sedona and Grand Canyon pictures are better but still leave much to be
desired. I subscribe to Smithsonian or Air & Space. That would be
neat to be published there!

At first I was a bit baffled at the suggestion to shop the story to
non aviation publications, but it didn't take much thinking to see the
swell logic in that. Less chance of getting published perhaps, but it
might give non pilots a reason to appreciate our calling if it did get
published. I don't know about the parts of the story related to
engine malfunctions and high density altitude take-offs, though. Are
they more ammunition for the "those pilot guys are insane" people?
Every airplane story has high adventure or a near miss to add drama.
But that is also one reason many non-aviation oriented people are
afraid of airplanes. They seem to believe it is a common occurrence
and may happen on every flight.

You know, if each one of us that participates in, or lurks in
rec.aviation.* wrote a short piece about a memorable flight and we all
tried to get them published, at least one or two might get lucky.
Lord knows those of us in the aviation world need all the good press
we can get.

Hey, here is an idea: Jay Honeck started awhile back with a few of
his entertaining pieces. I challenge the rest of you to write just
one tale, fact or fiction. Even a trip around the patch or a hundred
dollar hamburger run. Yes, even you students and lurkers out there.
One caveat though, you must post here first! If nothing else we will
be kept entertained for awhile. Tag you are It!