Anybody here have a CH701?

Old May 31st 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Anybody here have a CH701?

I am looking into purchasing a high wing STOL 701 kit. From what I
have been able to gather I should be able to easily get in and out of
my little postage stamp sized property with this aircraft. Looking for
opinion on this, I have a 300 X 600 foot long strip with obstructions
on the end of the 600 foot run. However, the 300 foot which crosses
the 600 foot run at 180 degrees has plenty of clear area before and
after it

Here are some photographs of the 300 east-west run and the 600 foot
north-south length. The place is a mess with debris from some of the
brush I knocked down just before the winter thaw this year and will
be completely cleaned up and smoothed out with a dozer later.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...estapproch.jpg

(Above) Looking west at the trees which need to come out to clear the
easterly departure direction for the 300 foot run. There are no wire
crossings in this path and the street goes for a long way behind me
in this photo. The easterly departure route (towards me in this
photo) would center strait down the middle of this road. According to
one CH 701 pilot, by the time I would come out of this field and over
the stop sign at the T of this road I should be well over 100-200
feet high and not a factor for road traffic.

[img:621c48e951]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/chrishazlitt/Fieldlookingwest.jpg[/img:621c48e951]

(Above) Looking west at the southeast corner of my property. The
little brown building seen and the end of the fence line is a 8 ft
tall pump house at the edge of my property. The field continues
beyond it for another 300 feet of clear area.

[img:621c48e951]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/chrishazlitt/Fieldlookingeast.jpg[/img:621c48e951]

(Above) This photo was taken at the edge of the 300 foot run looking
east. The street is behind the trees near the center of the photo.

[img:621c48e951]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/chrishazlitt/westapproachdirection.jpg[/img:621c48e951]

Looking west at the edge of my 300 foot run. I believe the church who
owns this property will let me take these ugly shrubs out for an
unobstructed approach from the west.

[img:621c48e951]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/chrishazlitt/LookingSouth600ftrun.jpg[/img:621c48e951]

(Above) A view of the southerly 600 foot run which has an upward
slope. The long brown building seen in the distance has a power cable
about 15 feet high crossing the open end of this run. The hill shown
in the last photo posted here is behind the camera view.

[img:621c48e951]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/chrishazlitt/Southendof600footrun.jpg[/img:621c48e951]

(Above) South end of 600 foot run which is obstructed by a power cable
about 15 feet high crossing from left to right between the building on
the left and a short power pole on the right which is out of field.

[img:621c48e951]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/chrishazlitt/Northendof600footrunhasahill.jpg[/img:621c48e951]

Here is a cross direction photo of the 600 foot run looking west
across the north end of my property (other side of the road on the
left) which shows the hill to the right. The tall Cottenwood trees on
the left side of the road going up the hill are mine and can all come
down but the trees on the right side of the road must remain.

I could take all of the trees down on this end of my lot and use it
for the west and east 300 foot run but then I would be close to my
neighbor seen here on the right and believe they would appreciate if
I kept my flights in and out away from them.

Old June 1st 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

The length and configuration of your field will work for a 701 but
leave you VERY little margin for an error. can it go diaganol?

Ben
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

Old June 1st 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

stol wrote:

The length and configuration of your field will work for a 701 but
leave you VERY little margin for an error. can it go diaganol?

Ben
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

Also, don't skimp on horsepower.

Sure, teh thing was designed for the Rotax 582, and is said to
fly well on this engine.

But a 912 would be more appropriate for your mission requirements.

Initial accelleration is going to be fun!!!

Richard
In Thrust We Trust.
Old June 6th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

any reason why you didn't choose the Savannah instead of the 701?
I'm just curious because I'm looking at the Savannah.

--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

Old June 7th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I'm not the original poster, but I built a Savannah, and have flown it
about 160 hours. It could operate in the space you have, but as
another poster stated, you would have no margin of error. Mine has the
100hp 912S and acceleration is brisk.

As far as Savannah vs 701, they are very similar, but the Savannah
builds in less than 300 hours vs 700 for the 701, but the drop in US$
makes the Savannah cost more.

tom

Old June 10th 06, 10:27 AM
Christopher Christopher is offline
Junior Member

Been away for awhile, the CH 701 doesn't look as good as I first hoped, I found one near here and was surprised how small it is. Now I understand why most of the photos found online don't show other aircraft next to them, the CH701 would be dwarfed by a Cessna 150!

I'm a big guy, so that little two place doesn't leave room for a second person for me, the CH 801 looks much better but requires more runway to get in and out.

I believe that the STOL King might be better suited for my needs, if I can believe the performance figures on the www.preceptoraircraft.com web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Old June 10th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Width-wise, the 701 is about the same as a 152, but the leg room is
short, and non-adjustable. My 6-2 son can't fly for more than a few
hours without discomfort, but my 5-10 frame is good to go all day.
I've flown guys weighing 220 that weren't especially tall, and we
didn't feel that constricted by width.

tom

Old June 13th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

G'day

Try a Murphy Rebel.

I am 6'6" and #300 and there is room for two people like me in there as
well as a heap of luggage.

Mine is powered by a Rotax 100hp engine and cruises at 100mph and uses less
than 5 US gallons an hour!
It has excellent short field capabilities and does not have any unpleasant
vices. What more could you ask.

The only difficulty is that you have to be a real pilot as it is a
taildragger! grin

regards

Ian

Old June 13th 06, 02:36 PM
Christopher Christopher is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Donaldson
G'day

Try a Murphy Rebel.

I am 6'6" and #300 and there is room for two people like me in there as
well as a heap of luggage.

Mine is powered by a Rotax 100hp engine and cruises at 100mph and uses less
than 5 US gallons an hour!
It has excellent short field capabilities and does not have any unpleasant
vices. What more could you ask.

The only difficulty is that you have to be a real pilot as it is a
taildragger! grin
I like that Murphy Rebel alot and have been looking at it but I wanted something which can get into my 300 foot by 600 foot piece of property on the 300 foot side of it and although it can get out of a 300 foot strip without obstructions on either end I fear the landing overrun I would probably face.

How quick can you get off the ground with a 300 pound pilot and half fuel?

Zenith CH701 or ICP Savannah Robert Home Built 11 April 24th 06 10:01 PM
1200lb Zenith Ch701 Tony Home Built 4 June 26th 04 04:17 AM
Savannah or CH701? [email protected] Home Built 4 May 24th 04 06:59 AM
Anybody here have a CH701? Regnirps Home Built 17 May 15th 04 02:49 AM
Zenair STOL CH701 KSHOAPS Simulators 0 February 29th 04 05:05 AM