Simple & Cheap Tricks for your plane

Old February 6th 04, 09:49 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Bushy"
writes:

Substitute pitot tube cover:

Brightly coloured squeaky dog toy. Once your dog chews a hole in it and the
squeaker won't work unless you hold your finger over it to confuse your poor
puppy, then you can use it knowing that it will be visible and remembered
during preflight.

I use an old tennis ball. Cut a slit in the ball and squeeze the ball to open
the slit to make it easy to put on. Also two balls to cover the vents.
Attach a foot long piece of red spinnaker cloth to each.

Chuck
Old February 6th 04, 09:53 PM
Jay Honeck

After climbing out, he rummaged through the area behind the front seat.
Not finding what he was looking for there, he then opened the baggage
door and pulled out two pieces of 12"x12"x0.75" plywood.

That's a great idea. Yet another thing to bring to OSH!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 10:56 PM
Scott

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I made some cheap light wheel-chocks from PVC pipe.

Jim Weir made a pair for us last year -- with Atlas' "N" number on them

and
everything!

They are very cool, and work very well -- but (as Jim warned us up front)
you DO have to be careful using them on grass with wheel pants. Park your
plane at Sun N Fun for a few days, and it WILL sink so that the wheel

pants
are setting on top of the chocks!

Thus obviating the need for chocks in the first place...

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old February 6th 04, 10:59 PM
Don Tuite

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:44:44 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I've been looking for a cargo net that will hold down the stuff that's
stored in the baggage area (two quarts of oil, small tool box, tiedown kit,
etc. I have this image of having to remove the tool box from someone's head
after landing out somewhere. Anyone seen one that will work well in an
Archer?

Go to the West Marine site and look for their cargo hammock. To give
you an idea of its size, we used to have one to hold the kid's stuffed
animals. You might be able to modify one.

Don
Old February 6th 04, 10:59 PM
Ron Natalie

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message ...

I use an old tennis ball. Cut a slit in the ball and squeeze the ball to open
the slit to make it easy to put on. Also two balls to cover the vents.
Attach a foot long piece of red spinnaker cloth to each.

A friend of mine with a 195 uses a stuffed duck as a pitot cover. It
gives the appearance that the duck was skewered from the rear.

Old February 7th 04, 12:15 AM
Bob Noel

In article , Blanche
wrote:

Is anyone collecting this list?

yes

I'll give it a few days, and then try to summarize.

Then people can have fun correcting me. :-)

--
Bob Noel
Old February 7th 04, 03:11 AM
Jay Honeck

A friend of mine with a 195 uses a stuffed duck as a pitot cover. It
gives the appearance that the duck was skewered from the rear.

I believe I saw his 195 at OSH.

Great looking bird(s)!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 7th 04, 03:13 AM
Dave

The answer to the Texas summer is to fly a Grumman g... on the ground
you can slide the canopy back all the way and really feel the fan blow.
In the air you can slide the canopy back 6" or so (legal to do) and let
the 125mph slipsteam cool you down nicely.

Ok ok, with the low wing you will get wet when you open the canopy in
the rain, but I am not IFR certified and so never have that problem.
Someday maybe... getting a KLN89B installed this weekend...

Actually I have been reading on the homebuilt list about an electrically
powered Denso AC compressor that Toyota is using in their hybrid cars.
Interesting idea if you have a liberal FSDO I guess...

Dave

James M. Knox wrote:
(Jay Masino) wrote in news:402386b6$0$25481
@dingus.crosslink.net:

Jay Honeck wrote:

4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee.

That's a silly statement. My plane came with one, 12 years ago, and I
found it irritating and tacky looking. I removed it. You can have it
(as a spare) if you want.

I wish everyone would make up their minds. I've been thinking about buying
one (wonderful Texas summers and all), as I frequently find myself taxiing
with my hand stuck out the vent window to "scoop" a little air.

Tacky looking? Probably... What was "irritating"?

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721

Old February 7th 04, 03:21 AM
Jay Honeck

A few more tricks that come to mind:

- Someone may have already mentioned this, but a permanent marker (Sharpie)
touches up the paint on your panel easily and perfectly. (It also works as
a temporary cosmetic fix on chipped wing-walk material.)

- Hairspray dissolves ink on vinyl or leather.

- A cheap sleeping bag and two straps with velcro can be used to make a
custom-fitted cowl cover for less that $25.

- If you don't have cylinder heaters, lay a trouble light on top of the
engine, and lay a sleeping bag over the cowl. Combined with a sump heater,
you will have 85 degree oil at every start.

- A temperature-sensitive cube (comes on at 35, goes off at 40) can be used
to control your Tannis heater in your hangar.

- Metal tape (NOT duct tape) makes a great oil cooler baffle in winter.

- Fill all the little gaps in your engine baffling with high temperature
RTV. You'll see you CHTs go down noticeably.

- Silicone spraying your yokes will make your landings better.

- Labeling your tow bar with your name and airport identifier is a good
idea.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 7th 04, 03:36 AM
Daniel

Dan Thompson wrote ...
Cool. This is like Heloise meets Sky King!

Now THAT's funny!

Daniel