What's the scoop on Headsets Inc?

Old April 12th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default What's the scoop on Headsets Inc?

I have a nice set of DC 10-13-S that I'd like to convert to ANR. Headsets Inc advertises in AOPA Pilot magazine and has a reasonable web site for products and services. They also have some customer testimonials of varying degrees of flattery on their site.

I'd sure be interested in hearing other experiences good or bad, or maybe even other recommendations for upgrading my current headset. (I'm not going to buy a Bose or a Lightspeed, so let's not even go there...)

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
Old April 12th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
kevmor[_2_]

A relative of mine has a DC headset that was converted several years ago
with their kit (not the new box that has auto-shutoff). It makes a very
big difference. When looking for a second ANR headset, I was either
going to do that or go with one of the costly Bose/etc. I ended up
going for Bose for the comfort and because it has a higher pitch speaker
(more treble?) that makes it easier to hear. If you're comfortable with
yours though I would definitely go with their conversion as I think the
noise canceling is very comparable to my Bose (except when the Bose's
battery dies, the DC would be much better with passive noise reduction).

Old April 12th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
nrp

The Headsets Inc kit is complete, instructions are clear, and they
work well. Be ready to do some pretty fine work though.

Old April 12th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
John Godwin

"Jim Carter" wrote in
:

I'd sure be interested in hearing other experiences good or bad,
or maybe even other recommendations for upgrading my current
headset. (I'm not going to buy a Bose or a Lightspeed, so let's
not even go there...)

I have a set of DC H10-80 that I had converted by Headsets Inc. I
bought the H10-80 because, at the time, it had the best noise
supression of all DC models. Adding ANR has made the headphones even
better.

Old April 12th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Skylane

I absolutely recommend the Headst's, Inc. kits. My friend and I have
converted several DC's, with absolute satisfaction.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old April 12th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jim Carter" said:
I'd sure be interested in hearing other experiences good or bad, or maybe even
other recommendations for upgrading my current headset. (I'm not going to buy a
Bose or a Lightspeed, so let's not even go there...)

At Oshkosh a few years back I was going back between the various vendor
booths testing out ANR headsets - I was planning to try to stay in the
$500-$600 range. But frankly, I couldn't tell the difference between any
of them, and couldn't make up my mind. But one of the guys I travelled
with said I should just get the Headsets Inc conversion kit for my
DC10-13.4s. I don't know which end of a soldering iron is the hot end, so
I got them to install them at the booth, and it was great.

When I forget to turn them on, the first hint is that I have trouble
hearing the radio. But since I moved up to flying a Piper Lance, I never
forget to turn them on - that 300hp engine is *loud*. The auto-shutoff
has saved my battery more than once. A few times I've had to flick the on
switch on and off a few times to get it to turn on, but generally they've
been trouble free and very useful. The biggest change I noticed is that
with ANR, I'm not so sleepy after a flight.

This year I switched to an ultralight headset and passed my DCs onto my
wife, and she loves the ANR too.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Harry very carefully read the manual - four times - because Snape would
Old April 12th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On Apr 12, 3:24 am, Scott Skylane wrote:
I absolutely recommend the Headst's, Inc. kits. My friend and I have
converted several DC's, with absolute satisfaction.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

I agree! I converted 2 DC H10-13.4 headsets over a year ago. An easy
45 min job if you have moderate hands-on skills (disassembly,
soldering, etc.). The only problem I had during re-construction is
insufficient room inside the ear cups for the module after installing
the foam. Just couldn't get it shoved in all the way and have the
speaker lay flat. I had to use a touch of SuperGlue around the
speaker flange to make it sit tight on the cup. Other than that,
absolutely no problems and I'm very happy with the performance.
There's quite a difference when you throw the switch!

--Jeff

Old April 12th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Cary

On Apr 11, 9:27 pm, "Jim Carter" wrote:
I have a nice set of DC 10-13-S that I'd like to convert to ANR. Headsets Inc advertises in AOPA Pilot magazine and has a reasonable web site for products and services. They also have some customer testimonials of varying degrees of flattery on their site.

I'd sure be interested in hearing other experiences good or bad, or maybe even other recommendations for upgrading my current headset. (I'm not going to buy a Bose or a Lightspeed, so let's not even go there...)

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Just add me as another very happy Headsets Inc customer on my DC
headsets.

Cary

Old April 12th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Jim, I've done 3 conversions on 3 headsets so far, and have been
completely satisfied.

Dave

Old April 12th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jim,

I have a nice set of DC 10-13-S that I'd like to convert to ANR.

Go for it. If you're just a little capable with a soldering iron, it's
an easy do-it-yourself. Absolutely decent ANR for the money. Well worth
it, even though it doesn't come close to the dedicated high-end ANR
sets.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

What's the scoop on Headsets Inc? Jim Carter[_1_] Piloting 11 April 17th 07 03:48 AM
Is there any new scoop on the LS-10? John Bojack Soaring 16 September 28th 05 09:52 AM
Air scoop for Russia Serge Serfaty Soaring 2 July 14th 05 04:20 PM
Reverse scoop Paul Lee Home Built 9 April 13th 04 01:58 AM
Headsets pinkflyer Piloting 3 December 4th 03 04:03 PM