Cost to install a canopy?

Old November 29th 17, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Default Cost to install a canopy?

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 10:27:57 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 2:02:04 PM UTC-8, Bret Hess wrote:

I'm not sure there is much art to the fitting.

That is one of the more assuming thing I've read on r.a.s. Please post photos of your transparency installation progress.

Too Funny,

How about;
how to refinish a glider in three easy steps;
1, remove old finish
2, spray on new finish
3, polish and go fly!!
Old November 29th 17, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Looks like here is a "DIY" gone wrong......https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!...ng/JpJN10ItxEs

Not having done it myself, but having to do a refinish, good buffing, sure, go for it..

You want a 20' job, or an "aerodynamic" job?

Sure, a so-so job on a 1-26 may be decent, pushing up into the 40's L/D is different.
You want looks or performance?
Old November 29th 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 10:35:10 AM UTC-8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

You want a 20' job, or an "aerodynamic" job?

Well now, there's a topic that can go on and on. In my direct experience, stuff that looks gawdawful at the 20-foot or even 10-foot level can perform great at the 0.004" level where it really counts for laminar flow. I've seen gliders where the reflection off the wing looked like some crazy funhouse mirror, where the leading edge waved fore and aft. But down in the boundary layer it is smooth and wave-free in the streamwise direction, and plenty close enough to the desired profile and camber line, and it works just fine..

And a lot of stuff that looks fantastic at the 10- and 20-foot level is actually disruptive at the .004" level. A good example of this is the crisp planform breaks on the latest generation of polyhedral gliders. They do look sharp and precise, but they can't be good for spanwise flow (air trying to sneak out and get all 420 with the tip vortex).

In order of importance, for most gliders I'd rank:

* Control surface seals (mylar, curtain, or combo)

* Wing waviness below 0.004" on top back to 60% chord, on bottom back to hinge line

* Cockpit exhaust provisions (keep cockpit below ambient so canopy leaks come inside, not outside)

* Leading edge contour for the forward 10% of chord

* Canopy fit on forward 1/3 of length

* Wing profile aft of 10% chord

Enroute GPS Install Cost? Carl Orton Owning 3 May 28th 05 02:26 PM
Cost to install IFR GPS in a basic IFR 172? C Kingsbury Owning 37 August 29th 04 02:22 PM
Duo Discus canopy problems David Starer Soaring 4 June 20th 04 11:09 PM
Canopy crack repair Pete Brown Soaring 0 May 18th 04 03:09 AM
Redundant canopy latching John Soaring 5 March 16th 04 01:50 PM