motorglider engine test

Old November 24th 17, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default motorglider engine test

I need to do a short test run on my ventus 2cxm engine. The fuselage is on its cobra dolley in my garage, and I can wheel it into my driveway and tie the tail to a post. I'm nervous about this, in case there is some pitfall I haven't considered. Has anyone done an engine test run like this?
Old November 24th 17, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The fuselage may try to roll in the trailer cradle. Stabilize it so it can not do roll. Best and safest way is to install the wings for weight and stability.
Tom
Boise, ID

Old November 24th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 1:44:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
...Has anyone done an engine test run like this?

Yes, and broken their canopy, run prop into trailer top, and
other very interesting outcomes.
Watch YouTube "Deep Fried Turkey Fire" instead;
just as entertaining and much less expensive.

Old November 24th 17, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 2:06:20 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 1:44:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
...Has anyone done an engine test run like this?

I almost forgot: A well-known German manufacturer did this at the factory
last year (mighta been 2015), and trashed the new glider and trailer
bound for their USA dealer...

Can't make this stuff up!
Old November 24th 17, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

wrote:
...Has anyone done an engine test run like this?

I almost forgot: A well-known German manufacturer did this

at the factory
last year (mighta been 2015), and trashed the new glider and

trailer
bound for their USA dealer...

Can't make this stuff up!

Don't do it! I used to do this with a DG400 but I had a proper
substantial steel frame to hold the fuselage (it anchored via
the wing pins). Even with this system the whole procedure felt
very unsafe, especially at full throttle; it also took far longer
than driving to the airfield and rigging the glider properly.
Dave W

Old November 24th 17, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy Teel

Don't do it!

/Users/randyteel/Desktop/DG 1001/1992-02-e Engine Test Run.pdf
Old November 24th 17, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 11:09:47 AM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 2:06:20 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 1:44:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
...Has anyone done an engine test run like this?

I almost forgot: A well-known German manufacturer did this at the factory
last year (mighta been 2015), and trashed the new glider and trailer
bound for their USA dealer...

Can't make this stuff up!

I've seen a fuselage-only engine test at Kirchheim, they have hard points outside the shop especially for it. Been present for some engine stand runs at Williams. Quite a nice rig Rex has, using the glider's engine controller, etc. with the engine out of the glider.
I've done one run on the back of the trailer with ASH26E. Didn't take it to full power, seeing no need.
A little forward of the normal rigging position on the trailer, using the trailer ramp as a chock, since the 26 landing gear swings forward of the doors. Saw horses with a 4x4 through the spar box for torque control. Worked as planned.
But you're right to be nervous. The amount of pucker factor involved makes assembling the glider seem a better choice. While you're at it, keep the pilot current too.
Jim
Old November 24th 17, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy Teel

Don't do it! From DG...Never test run the engine without the wings assembled to the fuselage. Due to the engine torque the fuselage will tilt the with higher engine speed and roll to the front. "Mortal Danger"
Old November 24th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 2:50:52 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 11:09:47 AM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 2:06:20 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 1:44:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
...Has anyone done an engine test run like this?

I almost forgot: A well-known German manufacturer did this at the factory
last year (mighta been 2015), and trashed the new glider and trailer
bound for their USA dealer...

Can't make this stuff up!

I've seen a fuselage-only engine test at Kirchheim

Right, SH was not the manufacturer I mentioned above ;-)
Though I can think of some of their customers who've damaged
their plane/motor trying what the OP suggests...
Old November 24th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 1:44:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I need to do a short test run on my ventus 2cxm engine. The fuselage is on its cobra dolley in my garage, and I can wheel it into my driveway and tie the tail to a post. I'm nervous about this, in case there is some pitfall I haven't considered. Has anyone done an engine test run like this?

I have done winterising warm up runs many times like this, with a 2x4 through the
spar box on saw horses; then I spray preservation oil into the Rotax carbs;
as it is an M you have throttle control; stay away from full power.

John F