iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

Old December 4th 17, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

perjantai 1. joulukuuta 2017 19.09.54 UTC+2 jfitch kirjoitti:
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 10:30:28 PM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
perjantai 1. joulukuuta 2017 0.17.44 UTC+2 kirjoitti:
If you really want to go big, try iPad mini 4. It works well with iGlide. Easy to read, and has more info boxes than on IPhone.

I would but iPads do not have same display as X. Pure gliding use X is total overkill, with iGlide licence package is close to 1500 euros.

1500 euros makes it about 25-50% cheaper than a dedicated glider display......

For example the Air Display L is 3200 euro. And you can't make phone calls on it. Alternatively an LX9000 is US$5500 (about 4600 euro), quite a bit more than an Air Vario and an iPhone X with iGlide (around US$4300). And you still can't make phone calls on it.

You just can't compete with the economics of mass produced consumer electronics. Apple is currently making 500,000 iPhone Xs per DAY. They expect to sell over 50 million phones this quarter. LX probably will sell 100 in a year.

You are comparing apples and oranges. LX9000/Air L is fullblown gliding computer, Iphone is basically a display when put to cockpit use. I do not recognize Oudie2/IGC display from your images (it seems that unit is a clone that might use different display). In my experience Oudie2/IGC has extremely bright and sunlight-readable display. If iphone x comes close to this and glossy display does not reflect everything, good. But it still 1000 euros more expensive than basic tablet that has all the features iGlide or XCSoar needs (basically display and wifi or BT), and does not run SeeYou mobile (huge handicap for me).
Old December 4th 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 6:49:25 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 6:35:44 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
A minor nit:Â* XCSoar uses line, the width of which varies with climb
rate, rather than individual dots.Â* I find it very intuitive.

On 12/3/2017 2:26 PM, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:13:38 AM UTC-8, 6PK wrote:
On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 9:47:40 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Does the iThingy have Bluetooth or wifi?Â* Either of those would be the
way for data transfer to/from the vario.Â* At least that's how it works
in the Android world.

On 11/30/2017 9:27 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike
--
Dan, 5J
From what I understand...the IPhone can only be connected via wifi to a flight computer, none of the blue tooth connectors popular in soaring will work, but I stand to be corrected.

The climb maximizer or thermal assistant is the rather typical trail of dots, the size of each represents the rate of climb. That is similar to SYM, XCSoar, etc. I don't find that particularly useful. If connected to an Air Vario however, you will get, in each dot, an instantaneous wind vector.. This is highly useful. The flow field in and near a thermal deviates towards the core, and this is easily seen in the wind vectors. No other vario will do that, since they do not compute wind fast enough.

Without a connection to any vario, iGlide makes a very functional glide computer using the iPhone GPS and barometric sensors. You will not get variometer function or Flarm targets, but pretty much everything else. There have been occasions when my iPhone disconnected from the vario, it then defaults to internal, and I have not noticed the change for some time at it works nearly as well.

--
Dan, 5J

XCSoar has, or has had, several styles of presentation. It cannot depict the wind in the thermal though. When using XCSoar I prefer the simple thermal center indication, along with the circling arc prediction. In thermal assistants, no one has yet come close to duplicating the original WinPilot version, both in presentation and accuracy. ClearNav has recently copied it directly, at least the presentation - I don't know how accurate it is. WinPilot has said they will port the old thermal assistant to the new WinPilot Live, but I haven't seen it yet.

I updated last year to the new CNv XC vario.
It is a good system, the thermal assistant is a direct "look alike" copy of WM but leaves something to be desired compared to the original WP version.. It is better than SYM has to offer by far, I don't think it is as accurate as XCsoar or TopHat has to offer through, I must say they come the closest to WP, I just wish they had incorporated a pointer, one could just glance rather than look at it.( I am running TopHat/Kobo connected to the CNv )
This feature was not the only reason I bought the CNv XC vario; I like it and I am not totally disappointed with it, but at the least the TA feature does leave room for improvements.
I think WP did came up with the correct algorithm years ago.
Old December 4th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 5:42:54 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but iGlide/iPhone IS a complete full blown gliding computer with a comparable feature set to the Air Display L, LX9000, or Oudie IGC. You are clearly unfamiliar with these systems. The iPhone, Display L and LX9000 are all displays coupled to a computer. All require an additional vario system to function as a full glide computer (the Air Display L requires a Display S and ISU, the LX9000 requires an S80, the iPhoneX/iGlide requires an S80 or Air Display S and ISU). When not coupled to a vario, the iPhone/iGlide has more functionality than either the Display L or the LX9000 (like the Oudie IGC it is a glide computer without vario function). The functions of these pieces are directly comparable. The prices I quoted are for complete systems, at retail, here in the USA*.

As stated in the OP, that is an Avier/V2 running XCSoar in the pictures (I should have started up SYM instead I guess). It is a clone PDA, as is the Oudie II - these are all cheap clone Chinese PDAs. The Avier/V2 has an identical display to the Oudie II (I can't say I have seen an Oudie IGC but it is said to have the same display). The Avier looks the same held next to an Oudie II. Both claim 1000 nits brightness. This clone hardware is available for less than $200 at retail. It cannot possibly compete in performance with a high end cell phone - the bill of materials alone on these is $300 or more, a lot of that in the display.

If you are married to SYM, then the Oudie or clones (or perhaps Craggy Ultimate) are your only choices. Since I consider SYM to be the weakest of the 4 or 5 offerings, this is of no handicap at all to me. The only software available for the iPhone is iGlide and WinPilot Live, but I currently like iGlide the best. As I have said before, I own the hardware and I have equipment, mounts, and wiring in my glider to run iGlide, SYM, XCSoar, original WinPilot, and WinPilot Live as well as a few others. I have run them all, sometimes two at once. What I say here is not due to unfamiliarity with these products.

* In the post above I quoted the Display L as $3200, this is as a replacement for the $1000 iPhone in a system. A complete Air Display L system requires also a Display S and ISU, so call it $6200.

Old December 5th 17, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 3:09:03 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

The comparison referenced the LX9000, the Air L, and the Oudie by context, that is a range of products. I’ve not owned a glider with an LX9000 though I have read through the manual. The iGlide/ Air Vario will do a lot of that, and nearly all of it that I would be interested in. Not going to go through the whole list, but as examples flux gate compass, voice warnings, near airports, detailed maps, artificial horizon, etc. Other things like PDFs of your manual can easily (and more usefully) be kept on the phone. If you want sectionals try WinPilot, they are integrated, and it’s $50.

An iPhone X is $999, iGlide pro is $220, Air Vario $3000. A fully configured LX9000 is pushing 7 grand plus installation.

One of the reasons I prefer a removable cell phone or PDA based solution is that you replace it every few years, not because it ceases to function - I have had an iPhone 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and X, all were working perfectly when replaced and I’ve still not spent what an LX9000 costs. Rather the consumer electronics technology curve has left the old one behind. Also it does not tie you into a proprietary software package with an antiquated UI.

You may well be happy with your LX9000 20 years from now, but I suspect not.. 20 years ago state of the art was the glide nav program from CAE running on a funky little black and white Compaq. Even now, the LX9000 is a VGA screen (640 x 480), about 8 year old technology in cell phones. Its hard to keep up when you sell a few hundred units a year rather than half a million a day.

I’m not trying to sell anyone anything. There are plenty of reasons to pick one solution over another. I am trying to correct some mis-impressions, mainly that the iGlide solution is not sunlight readable (it is), that it costs more that the others (it does not) or that it lacks significant features of the others (it does not). The core feature set of all of these products is roughly the same, you chose one or another over the details.
Old December 5th 17, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Monday, 4 December 2017 19:06:08 UTC+2, jfitch wrote:

Sorry, but iGlide/iPhone IS a complete full blown gliding computer with a comparable feature set to the Air Display L, LX9000, or Oudie IGC. You are clearly unfamiliar with these systems.

I own Air Glide system, and fly Oudie (incl. IGC) and LX9000 on regular basis. Plus various other gliding computers, of course.

Old December 5th 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

I might suggest you give up now. :-) Clearly you don't know Jon. He knows fully well what a LXNav and other flight computer can do. And iGlide can do much of what you are talking about. He's researched all this very thoroughly and likes the simplicity and elegance of iGlide. Most soaring software and devices are stuck in decade old UIs and old low-resolution LCD display technology, they will eventually move into modern times. I can and have had argued with Jon why I prefer SeeYou Mobile, because uh I'm used to it and some things in the software are just how I like (in part because I tested early versions of the software there helped to get things implemented there how I like. Jon clearly prefers the elegance and minimalism in the iGlide UI/UX... I expect he would argue that you should not need 30 screens on a flight computer :-) And he's pointing out how impressive OLED displays are...and yes they are. It is simply a matter of when not if other soaring computer move to OLED displays and a matter of time as well for moving to more modern UI/UX feel in applications.
Old December 5th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

There is a happy buyer for every favor. I was shocked when I moved to Southern Cal and found out that people actually liked the desert. I grew up in the mountains.

Old December 5th 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

[...]

Darryl knows me too well . He also knows that capital expense isn't what's holding me back from buying an LX. The Air Vario will similarly warn you about your gear, also in a pleasant (but somewhat Teutonic) female voice. The only thing you have mentioned in the LX feature set not available in some form in the Air system is flap position and dump valve position (there is a flap sensor input, but I don't think they do anything with it, and can I think of only esoteric uses for it). And no, I don't think 30 screens are an advantage - quite the opposite -, I don't even think the 4 screens on XCSoar is very elegant. Microsoft used to advocate that complexity = power, but even they have abandon that ruse.

But again, if you want an LX system by all means go for it. I'm just clearing the misconceptions on the iGlide software. It is sunlight visible. When coupled with a vario, it does have a full glide computer functionality including most of the things you ave mentioned. And it isn't more expensive than other commercially available solutions.