FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

Old December 9th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
Jim Logajan

Default FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

"Jamie and Adam take wing to test if a person with no flight training can
safely land an airplane and if a plane can take off from a conveyor belt
speeding in the opposite direction. Tory, Grant, and Kari jump on some
Hollywood-inspired skydiving myths."

Quoted from the Discovery channel schedule:
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedule...6.24704.3913.x

(My local paper's weekly TV schedule has just the brief summary "Landing a
747" so I presume the plane they attempt to land without training is a 747.
Will be interesting to see if they try the real thing and are not limited
to a simulator.)
Old December 9th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt, rec.aviation.piloting, rec.skydiving
buttman

Quoted from the Discovery channel schedule:http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedule...=1.13056.24704....

(My local paper's weekly TV schedule has just the brief summary "Landing a
747" so I presume the plane they attempt to land without training is a 747.
Will be interesting to see if they try the real thing and are not limited
to a simulator.)

I'm really anxious to see this episode, because apparently they filmed
the treadmill myth at my home airport.
Old December 9th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt, rec.aviation.piloting, rec.skydiving
James Sleeman

On Dec 9, 6:32 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
safely land an airplane and if a plane can take off from a conveyor belt

Oh lordy, here we go again, I sense an enormous thread coming.
Old December 9th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
Bob Noel

In article ,
James Sleeman wrote:

On Dec 9, 6:32 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
safely land an airplane and if a plane can take off from a conveyor belt

Oh lordy, here we go again, I sense an enormous thread coming.

maybe we can get a rec.aviation.treadmill out of this...

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old December 9th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving

Default Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"Jamie and Adam take wing to test if a person with no flight training can
safely land an airplane and if a plane can take off from a conveyor belt
speeding in the opposite direction. Tory, Grant, and Kari jump on some
Hollywood-inspired skydiving myths."

I don't understand the premise of the conveyor belt thing. If you are
talking about thrusting an aircraft forward, like a catapult, you already
know the answer, and if the belt is running so the the wheels of the
aircraft are spinning madly while it stays still then again you already know
the answer. What are they trying to prove? I've seen the show but I watch
very little tv, have they run out of urban myths?

Old December 9th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
B A R R Y

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:12:27 -0400, " Vacant lot
wrote:

I don't understand the premise of the conveyor belt thing. If you are
talking about thrusting an aircraft forward, like a catapult, you already
know the answer, and if the belt is running so the the wheels of the
aircraft are spinning madly while it stays still then again you already know
the answer. What are they trying to prove?

If it were so cut and dried, why does it generate threads of several
hundred messages here? G
Old December 9th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

wrote:

I don't understand the premise of the conveyor belt thing. If you are
talking about thrusting an aircraft forward, like a catapult, you already
know the answer, and if the belt is running so the the wheels of the
aircraft are spinning madly while it stays still then again you already know
the answer. What are they trying to prove?

If it were so cut and dried, why does it generate threads of several
hundred messages here? G

It shouldn't :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 9th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
Maxwell

wrote:

I don't understand the premise of the conveyor belt thing. If you are
talking about thrusting an aircraft forward, like a catapult, you already
know the answer, and if the belt is running so the the wheels of the
aircraft are spinning madly while it stays still then again you already
know
the answer. What are they trying to prove?

If it were so cut and dried, why does it generate threads of several
hundred messages here? G

Only because there are one or two nit pickers on here.... G

Old December 9th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
Blueskies

wrote:

I don't understand the premise of the conveyor belt thing. If you are
talking about thrusting an aircraft forward, like a catapult, you already
know the answer, and if the belt is running so the the wheels of the
aircraft are spinning madly while it stays still then again you already know
the answer. What are they trying to prove?

If it were so cut and dried, why does it generate threads of several
hundred messages here? G

Only because there are one or two nit pickers on here.... G

Maybe we should start the thread drift right here and now....

You know, people would fully understand that a plane on a treadmill will not start flying if we had a good educational
system. Liberal use of aerodynamic principles leads to stall spin accidents, and everyone knows the dreaded downwind
turn was by global warming...

Old December 9th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

know
the answer. What are they trying to prove?

If it were so cut and dried, why does it generate threads of several
hundred messages here? G

The show? I've never seen it mentioned before. Or were you talking about
airspeed? I think almost everyone agrees that airspeed must meet a certain
velocity for flight. I allow for some who may still be alive who feel
differently.

FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour Jim Logajan Piloting 217 December 21st 07 11:33 AM
Mythbusters Episode and FMS Marco Leon Piloting 19 February 13th 07 05:45 AM
Mythbusters and explosive decompression Casey Wilson Piloting 49 July 15th 04 05:56 PM
MythBusters Hilton Piloting 7 February 4th 04 03:30 AM
Mythbusters Explosive Decompression Experiment C J Campbell Piloting 49 January 16th 04 07:12 AM