Cup holder

Old October 19th 17, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cup holder

Has anyone installed a cup holder on their glider? Pictures?
Old October 19th 17, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I used 1quart Gatorade bottles, until they downsized.
Camelback is a great, easy to do, option.

BTW, I sometimes used the empty bottles as a relief place, but didn't drop over the side.
Paid to use "Hawaiian punch" bottles so the fluid color didn't mess anyone up later......LOL.....
(Yeh, don't do mango or similar......) ;-)
Old October 20th 17, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 1:37:18 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone installed a cup holder on their glider? Pictures?

You mean the co-pilot?
Old October 20th 17, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 4:37:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anyone installed a cup holder on their glider? Pictures?

What I need is a place to keep my chopsticks (for the Sushi) clean when I am busy landing out . . .
ROY

Old October 20th 17, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At an important contest many years ago--before we all started using flexible water containers with drinking tubes--my mother/crew prepared my sandwich (this was also WAY before energy bars) and a 16 oz. Tupperware cup with a plastic snap-on lid full of Coke and ice cubes. I wedged it down by my side to keep it upright.

I almost lost it at 5,000 ft. on course when B-O-O-O-O-M!!!!--the top blew off from the combined effects of carbonation and reduced air pressure. OK, maybe it only seemed that loud because there was no warning. In any case, Coke went everywhe on me, on the cockpit walls, on the instrument panel, but mostly up on the inside of the canopy. Try wiping off sugary soda with the paper napkin that was previously wrapped around a peanut butter sandwich.

Yeah, I can see the utility of cup holders, but only if they have some sort of safety lock.

Chip Bearden
Old October 20th 17, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Had a toaster oven in my glider for inflight reheating of meatball sandwiches, was a hassle. Easy now, I just toss them on the transponder.
Old October 21st 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Yah Chip, I can related to that incident. Mine involved a large Italian cold cut sandwich with lots of shredded lettuce + a Nimbus 3 on the ridge at Mifflin.
I was finding lettuce shreds for the rest of the year . . .
ROY
Old October 21st 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 2:14:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Had a toaster oven in my glider for inflight reheating of meatball sandwiches, was a hassle. Easy now, I just toss them on the transponder.

Since the average output of the transponder is about 2 watts, it's going to take a long time to make toast.