"Airplanes don't kill

Old May 16th 05, 11:58 AM
Flyingmonk

Hey John,

How's your new place? Me n the mrs. are going over some sketches of
our (hopefully) soon to be cabin on the ridge of Eagle Mountain, WV.

Of topic again, I have a Glock 17 and a Sub2000 that uses same mag. I
can tell you that both of these plastic toys have never ever jammed on
me, and I put a lot of good hard earned money through them barrels.
But my favorite one is still the 1911.

Hope alls well at the new place.

FM

Old May 16th 05, 03:33 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On 16 May 2005 03:53:35 -0700, "Flyingmonk" wrote:

The space craft comment was, LOL, in ref. to your Fly Baby.

Ah, well, the answer to that is, "Houston, we have a problem."

Went flying Saturday after a month or so (weather/out of town). When I taxied
back and tried to turn sharply to the left to point the tail into the hangar,
the Maule tailwheel refused to kick into swivel mode.

I didn't think much of it...just killed the engine and hopped out. Then I
noticed that the tailwheel spring was cocked sideways, relative to the fuselage
center line. A closer examination showed that one of the two bolts that clamped
the spring to the tailpost was missing.

The tailwheel spring attach system consists of a sort of T-bracket bolted to the
tailpost...

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/safety/tailpost2.GIF

....with a clamp plate bolted below. The bolts go through metal spacers to pin
the spring. This picture (of someone else's airplane) shows the general setup,
except on my plane, the horizontal stab turnbuckles are bolted to the fuselage
just above the spring instead of the ends of the clamp plate.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/safety/tail_brace3.JPG

Anyway, one of my bolts and the spacer block (1/2" thick aluminum) were gone
from one side. It was obvious that the repair costs would be minimal, but I was
deeply curious *why* the bolt was gone. Due to the narrowness of the stock
T-bracket, the clamp bolts are mounted head-down, so any failure means the loss
of the bolt. I wanted to know whether the bolt broke or whether the nut backed
off....and, for that matter, it would be nice not to have to cut and fit a new
spacer block. There was also that nagging worry that maybe the bolt had been
gone during my preflight, and I'd missed it. The airport is swept every week,
so finding the parts would mean they'd at least been on the airplane when I'd
started up.

A quick walk-down down the taxiway a bit didn't turn up the parts. I've got a
buddy who works at the airport, so I figured I'd ask him to keep an eye out for
the stuff when he did the end-of-day taxiway/runway check. I put the plane to
bed and drove to the office.

It was my buddy's day off, but he was sitting in the pilot's lounge (he owns a
172) talking to a couple other friends of mine. I made the request...and
everyone decided to help look. Immediately. One took off in his truck, another
hopped on his bicycle, and the third wandered out on foot.

I was horribly embarrassed...it's bad enough to lose parts of your airplane, but
it had turned into a group FOD walkdown. I hadn't meant to chase everyone from
their coffee cups and BS session.

I was walking with the third guy, babbling about "Geeze, I didn't want to bother
everyone, and maybe we should just forget it," when he said, "Well, then you
don't want THIS!"

He leaned down and picked up a shiny aluminum block.

Yep, that was it. It had dropped off on the taxiway just a couple of dozen of
feet from the office.

A foot or so away were the nut and the bolt. The bolt had broken right at the
point where it pinches in form the threads.

The failure is curious. The only tension load on this bolt is its own preload
and half the weight of the tailwheel assembly in flight (just ten pounds or so).
The major loads are the side load as the plane turns. The double plate should
nominally have the bolt loaded in double shear, though most of the load will be
on the top plate where the bolt failed.

The bolt is old and I'd worked on the bracket quite a bit for some dry rot
repair a year or so ago. There may have been some mechanical damage or it just
may have got some corrosion (though I don't see any). I'm hauling the bits in
to work to run them by a couple of ME types. I'll replace it and its mate with
some NAS bolts I've got handy...these are about 20% stronger than stock AN.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 17th 05, 01:32 AM
Paul Folbrecht

I guess you missed this one.

AIRCRAFT INDICTED IN KILLING SPREE
Little Rock, AK
- AP -

Law-enforcement officials confirmed today that a 1966 Cessna Skyhawk has
been taken into custody as the prime suspect in the recent "railroad
strangler" killings. Formal charges are expected soon.

Detective Richard Dackey of the Little Rock Police Dept had this to say:
"This was an old, neglected aircraft that had spent too much time on
the ramp and no time in the air in a very long time. While we can only
speculate as to the causes, we are very confident at this time that we
have our killer. The aircraft was taken into custody peacefully and has
been cooperating with authorities.

So, there you go. It happens.

I guess you can see that I'm a bit bored at the moment. So, are you
really a monk? Probably not.

Flyingmonk wrote:

OK, guys... I'm making an official announcement. "Airplanes don't kill

people!, people kill people!" This statement is hereby mine and none
of you better use it without my concent! LOL. Monday I'm going to the

T-shirt shop and ordering me 1000 units of various sizes. Let me know
if anyone wants one. I'll donate 10% of the profits to EAA's Young
Eagles program, promise! I don't know how much they will cost me, but
I won't mark it up much. Just to cover my time and gas money and also
to cover the cost of the beer while I talk my graphics guy into
designing it Pro-Bono.

Let me know how many and what sizes you want. It wont cost much,
promise.

Flyingmonk.

Old May 17th 05, 10:23 AM
Flyingmonk

Sorry to hear that Ron, but I'm happy to hear that you didn't give up
and that it didn't cause any injuries or major damage. Good luck with
putting her back together. While she's grounded, might as well look at
the rest of her eh? Wouldn't hurt and I know you enjoy working on her
as much as piloting her.

I've got a hangglider, an engine (Zenoah 22HP), three wheel barrow
tires and some tubes. Bought them bits and pieces a few years back.
Still trying to come up with a good trike design for a cheap thrill in
the sky. Maybe this summer I'll have her done in time to enjoy the
Fall colors.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old May 17th 05, 10:34 AM
Flyingmonk

Hey! don't neglect your bird! Was a monk for three months.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone
scroll down to Bryan Chaisone -
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery_a-h.htm#C

Old May 17th 05, 10:38 AM
Flyingmonk

Hey! don't neglect your bird! Was a monk for three months.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...MindFlying.jpg

scroll down to Bryan Chaisone -
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/r=ADogue's_gallery_a-h.htm#C

Old May 17th 05, 03:22 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On 17 May 2005 02:23:41 -0700, "Flyingmonk" wrote:

Sorry to hear that Ron, but I'm happy to hear that you didn't give up
and that it didn't cause any injuries or major damage. Good luck with
putting her back together. While she's grounded, might as well look at
the rest of her eh? Wouldn't hurt and I know you enjoy working on her
as much as piloting her.

Not like it's really grounded, since all it needs is a replacement bolt. Got
the spacer block and a selection of bolts in the ashtray of my car.

Looked at the failed bolt under a microscope, and it appears that the bolt
itself had a flaw in it. There was a faint "worm track" of corrosion across the
plane of the break....its width was about 5% of the diameter of the bolt, and it
ran about 3/4ths of the way across the cross-section.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 19th 05, 03:29 PM
Flyingmonk

Glad she's not grouded Ron. Looked at the bolt w/ a microscope huh?
That's too technical for me Ron. I have a hang glider, propeller from
Tenn Prop, a Zenoah 22hp engine, three wheel barrow wheels, and I still
can't put a trike together. Had them for awhile now. I thought I'd
start with a trike, then get me a kit of something like a Fisher 101 or
a MiniMax or a Parasol. If I can only get started with this trike.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone